Masks to be worn by everyone in public...?

Started by patman post, July 10, 2020, 06:43:59 PM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 09:50:20 AMSo because someone is overweight and in a wheelchair the inference is they are endangering the other persons health.
No, in the cartoon, the person in the wheelchair has already compromised her own health by becoming obese. Obesity is a pre-disposing factor towards CV19 fatality.
The reason for the obesity in this instance is clear from the clues in the picture.
https://www.bhf.org.uk/informationsupport/heart-matters-magazine/news/coronavirus-and-your-health/what-makes-you-at-risk-from-coronavirus
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 08:58:13 PM

Santander is a financial institution,interested in profit not what their employees like ,or not.

Right but what is your point?

I also gave you IBM , a non financial institution , as an example of business that has tried and failed to make a success of working from home.

No business on this planet exists to please their employees or has their interests at heart first and foremost. The primary goal of any business is to make a profit. The rest follows on from that .........good employers will then use their profit to look after staff as long as they keep doing the business and making the company money.

No profit , no business , no feckin job for staff. Its that simple in the real world cromwell.

What is the matter with you at the minute?

You sound not your usual self , and are coming across as rather petulant and bitter , as well as terrified.
"
I appreciate this virus is worrying you , but like everyone else you just have to get on with things. The idea the world can continue as it is  , and all this shit about "the new norm" , kids not in school , cants kidding on they are working from home , and all the rest is laughable nonsense.

Very soon , you are going to start seeing business going to the wall and massive repercussions on the ordinary people due to all these covid measures. Comes a point where we have to learn to manage risk and try and get back to normal.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on July 26, 2020, 10:03:33 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on July 26, 2020, 05:24:54 PM

well I don't reckon it will be any of those with nearly new motorhomes and new caravans sitting in the queue on the A30 somehow.

It appears they are not parking on official sites and are causing problems because of it.

Just one example:-

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/action-demanded-over-campers-staying-4366077
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on July 26, 2020, 05:24:54 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on July 26, 2020, 05:09:39 PM

The Smurf is just doing his bit for the Cornish tourist board. You shouldn't be so hard on him, although the Cornish economy would collapse without him and tourism.

Tourists are currently costing more than they bring in, due to the massive clean-up costs and the big increase in crime.
well I don't reckon it will be any of those with nearly new motorhomes and new caravans sitting in the queue on the A30 somehow.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 08:23:38 PM
Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 08:09:11 PM

I'm regurgitating nothing Thomas John Lewis partnership have announced shop closures and an increase in online because that's where their business is going,neither am I saying online is the be all....clearly it isn't but I've found myself using it more and more,

..and im saying for many shops they cannot go full online and wont survive this way. I have given examples why.

Quoteas far as many financial institutions go why would they want to fund large office blocks with all the associated high costs and they really wont give a rats arse whether their employees like it or not they only have one imperative.....profit,look how they closed bank branches against customer wishes and they're the customers not employees so don't imagine they wont do it I have it on good authority that one bank is in the process as of now.

Sorry cromwell i dont know if you are reading my posts and links but again , although it wasnt a financial institution , i just gave you a link to an article rubbishing working from home and all the things you are saying regarding offices.

IBM tried it with 200 000 staff across 173 countires in 2009 , and with revenues falling for all the reasons the article gives  due to working from home if you can call it that , reversed the decision less than 8 years later as it was a disaster.

Shutting the world up in caves isnt the answer to coronavirus cromwell. Im fecked if im spending the rest of my feckin life cooped up in hysterical paranoia.
Why who said the world should shut itself up in a cave,as far as reading your posts you earlier said this
QuoteAgain i dont agree , you are merely regurgitating media spin.

Working from home has been a mixed bag to say the least for many businesses. Some people can do it , some can't self motivate , and need the office environment to work.

QuoteA customer of ours who works for santander said to me the other week the bank had surveyed  thousands of staff working from home and the majority didnt enjoy it.

Santander is a financial institution,interested in profit not what their employees like ,or not.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2020, 04:51:43 PM

To be fair to Pappy (and I have to say that I can't see why we should be), I don't think that it is so much lack of kindness as his inability to bear happiness.

The 7 day deaths total has been falling since 12 April when it was 6438.

On 21 July it was 454.

You might have expected banner headlines in the newspapers and the ringing of church bells on the TV. But we Brits don't do happiness so we have remained resolutely glum.

:)

That has nothing whatever to do with the nation in general getting nastier, and uncaring of others.

Thomas

Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 08:09:11 PM

I'm regurgitating nothing Thomas John Lewis partnership have announced shop closures and an increase in online because that's where their business is going,neither am I saying online is the be all....clearly it isn't but I've found myself using it more and more,

..and im saying for many shops they cannot go full online and wont survive this way. I have given examples why.

Quoteas far as many financial institutions go why would they want to fund large office blocks with all the associated high costs and they really wont give a rats arse whether their employees like it or not they only have one imperative.....profit,look how they closed bank branches against customer wishes and they're the customers not employees so don't imagine they wont do it I have it on good authority that one bank is in the process as of now.

Sorry cromwell i dont know if you are reading my posts and links but again , although it wasnt a financial institution , i just gave you a link to an article rubbishing working from home and all the things you are saying regarding offices.

IBM tried it with 200 000 staff across 173 countires in 2009 , and with revenues falling for all the reasons the article gives  due to working from home if you can call it that , reversed the decision less than 8 years later as it was a disaster.

Shutting the world up in caves isnt the answer to coronavirus cromwell. Im fecked if im spending the rest of my feckin life cooped up in hysterical paranoia.

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 11:04:33 AM
Quote from: cromwell on July 26, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

I wasn't saying you in particular had said this whole episode was a con,but people do and have said that from the off saying it was no worse than a runny nose ,the sniffles or the flu,clearly IMO it isn't .

I would guess that advice from health authorities is inconsistent because it is a new virus and so little is known about its long term effects.

Of course people who own or manage shops see this as a barrier to trade,truth probably is the long term decline of the high street has accelerated rapidly because of this as people have found online shopping so much easier.

People who own commercial properties will suffer too,why would businesses that have large offices to maintain,the rent,heating and lighting,services for their employees,car park spaces and so much more continue when it's so much cheaper to see their staff work from home.

Finally if I did misunderstand Barry's post I have no problem in apologising and do so.

Cromwell come oan , you will always get piss takers wind up merchants etc in any given situation. The vast vast majority of folk despite the medias attempts to tarnish them are sensible and thoughtfull.

QuoteI would guess that advice from health authorities is inconsistent because it is a new virus and so little is known about its long term effects.

Exactly and this is what i am saying and many others . The data and advice changes day to day , and there are no certainties  including the advice on face masks.

Of course people who own or manage shops see this as a barrier to trade,truth probably is the long term decline of the high street has accelerated rapidly because of this as people have found online shopping so much easier.

Dont agree , and this is you merely regurgitating media spin.

We all know internet shopping has been on the increase , and the high street declining for years for many different reasons , but many shops and business remain in great shape or did so before coronavirus. Internet shopping isnt a replacement for things like clothes and shoes where you need to try them on first?

Internet shopping where for exampleyou order shoes , then have all the hassle of sending them back if they dont fit and then waiting weeks for a refund isnt easier than going in store and buying them. If online shopping was the be all and end all cure  , business would have closed all shops years ago .

QuotePeople who own commercial properties will suffer too,why would businesses that have large offices to maintain,the rent,heating and lighting,services for their employees,car park spaces and so much more continue when it's so much cheaper to see their staff work from home.

Again i dont agree , you are merely regurgitating media spin.

Working from home has been a mixed bag to say the least for many businesses. Some people can do it , some can't self motivate , and need the office environment to work.

A customer of ours who works for santander said to me the other week the bank had surveyed  thousands of staff working from home and the majority didnt enjoy it. Others enjoy not having to commute into big cities like edinburgh , glasgow or london.
I'm regurgitating nothing Thomas John Lewis partnership have announced shop closures and an increase in online because that's where their business is going,neither am I saying online is the be all....clearly it isn't but I've found myself using it more and more,as far as many financial institutions go why would they want to fund large office blocks with all the associated high costs and they really wont give a rats arse whether their employees like it or not they only have one imperative.....profit,look how they closed bank branches against customer wishes and they're the customers not employees so don't imagine they wont do it I have it on good authority that one bank is in the process as of now.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

papasmurf

Quote from: Sheepy on July 26, 2020, 05:09:39 PM

The Smurf is just doing his bit for the Cornish tourist board. You shouldn't be so hard on him, although the Cornish economy would collapse without him and tourism.

Tourists are currently costing more than they bring in, due to the massive clean-up costs and the big increase in crime.

Sheepy

Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2020, 04:51:43 PM
Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 04:40:11 PM
QuoteScots share heartwarming acts of kindness spotted during coronavirus

If there's one thing that Scots are known for, it's rallying together and helping others in hard times.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-share-heartwarming-acts-kindness-21720733

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-52048186

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18342552.life-coronavirus-lockdown-acts-kindness-across-world/

Seems to me people are getting less nasty everywhere except cornwall...............

Quote from: papasmurf on July 25, 2020, 07:14:32 PM
Bojo The Clown is still a Gurt Porker.

To be fair to Pappy (and I have to say that I can't see why we should be), I don't think that it is so much lack of kindness as his inability to bear happiness.

On 21 July it was 454.

You might have expected banner headlines in the newspapers and the ringing of church bells on the TV. But we Brits don't do happiness so we have remained resolutely glum.

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas on July 26, 2020, 04:40:11 PM

If there's one thing that Scots are known for, it's rallying together and helping others in hard times.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scots-share-heartwarming-acts-kindness-21720733

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18342552.life-coronavirus-lockdown-acts-kindness-across-world/

Seems to me people are getting less nasty everywhere except cornwall...............

On 21 July it was 454.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on July 26, 2020, 04:02:47 PM

You are yet again jumping to conclusions, no problems  with anyone living near me. I was commenting on nationally, and it has worse over time.

Mental health organisations among many others are reporting ever increasing acts of kindness in a very uncertain world............

QuoteOne thing that we have seen all over the world is that kindness is prevailing in uncertain times. People are coming together to sing on balconies in Italy, others are setting up groups to offer support to the elderly or vulnerable - like collecting groceries or calling them for a chat. We have heard stories of people having virtual movie nights and creating choreographed dances over video chat to share with the world.

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/coronavirus/random-acts-kindness

https://www.un.org/en/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/acts-solidarity-spread-amid-covid-19-outbreak-un-continues-counter

https://www.derrynow.com/news/features/540502/covid-19-brings-out-extraordinary-kindness-across-our-communities.html

My wife has been out volunteering and helping elderly near us , i am constantly hearing about acts of kindness.

I think borkie is right pappy , it must just be you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2020, 03:25:07 PM

Around you Pappy maybe,

You are yet again jumping to conclusions, no problems  with anyone living near me. I was commenting on nationally, and it has worse over time.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 26, 2020, 03:03:22 PM
Quote from: Borchester on July 26, 2020, 02:10:06 PM

Folk today are much kinder than they were, but much much duller.

Kinder today? You must be joking. Britain has got very nasty in the last 10 years.

Around you Pappy maybe, but we are only human and I dare say the decision by you neighbours to put you in a cage in an A3083 layby and show the tourists the fun side of Cornwall was nigh on irresistible.

But in my experience folk are a lot kinder than they were. I can just imagine this flu nonsense sixty years ago.

"You have a cold? Well, take an aspirin and try not to spray snot on everyone else.And you still feel bad you can take the weekend off."
Algerie Francais !