Main Menu

BBC at it again.

Started by Nick, July 11, 2020, 10:15:40 PM

« previous - next »

Nalaar

Quote from: Barry on July 12, 2020, 10:49:18 PM
Quote from: Good old on July 12, 2020, 09:26:45 PMIf only because 148 recently deceased people do not deserve to be the butt of  any childish play on words.
About 1800 people die every day in the UK. It's not a tragedy, it's the circle of life.

Every death is it's own tragedy. Whether or not you happen to care about it (and it seems to care little indeed).

I don't understand what the joke was meant to be in the OP, and several posts talking about it have made it no clearer to me. Regardless of that I think it's in poor taste to joke about, but each to their own.
Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: Good old on July 12, 2020, 09:26:45 PM
Quote from: Nick on July 12, 2020, 08:19:35 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2020, 08:45:50 AM
Quote from: Nick on July 11, 2020, 10:15:40 PM
The BBC just reported that the number of people who have died today after testing positive for CV19 is 148.

This is a non-fact and is the same as ducks float, wood floats, ducks are made of wood.

Absolutely pathetic.

If that post is  supposed to be funny, it isn't.

Clearly you don't understand the English language then.

It doesn't say they have died from the virus, just that they were positive when they died. They could have been hit by a bus, usual BBC reporting.

You clearly don't understand it just isn't funny. If only because 148 recently deceased people do not deserve to be the butt of  any childish play on words. It's not even that good as a play on words, because , what you said was," after testing positive  for CV19." Any other meaning conveyed in that sentence is in your dreams.

It was a bit flat although all credit to Nick for seeing the funny side of things.

What I would really like to see is something on the lines of 118 people who tested positive and 10 who did not have died of Covid 19.

We really need to change the TV announcers who seem determined to be glum. Think what the two Ronnies could have done with that sort of material.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: Good old on July 12, 2020, 09:26:45 PMIf only because 148 recently deceased people do not deserve to be the butt of  any childish play on words.
About 1800 people die every day in the UK. It's not a tragedy, it's the circle of life.
† The end is nigh †

Good old

The BBC just reported that the number of people who have died today after testing positive for CV19 is 148.

This is a non-fact and is the same as ducks float, wood floats, ducks are made of wood.

Absolutely pathetic.

It doesn't say they have died from the virus, just that they were positive when they died. They could have been hit by a bus, usual BBC reporting.

You clearly don't understand it just isn't funny. If only because 148 recently deceased people do not deserve to be the butt of  any childish play on words. It's not even that good as a play on words, because , what you said was," after testing positive  for CV19." Any other meaning conveyed in that sentence is in your dreams.

papasmurf

You are just making matters worse.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: Nick on July 12, 2020, 08:19:35 PMIt doesn't say they have died from the virus, just that they were positive when they died.
Yes, but to be fair, most of the time they have said "died WITH the virus", however as JoG has variously pointed out, most old men die WITH prostate cancer, but it doesn't actually kill them.
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Absolutely pathetic.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Good old

Quote from: Nalaar on July 12, 2020, 02:28:40 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2020, 02:23:25 PM
Quote from: Nalaar on July 12, 2020, 01:34:16 PM
. Any joy that you find in that represents to me a distinct lack of compassion.

I very specifically wrote:- my bright side will be if one of the high profile Covid-19 deniers carks it.

Someone's suffering is not diminished by their profile.

Fair enough but two wrongs don't make a right.  148 reported deaths should not  be diminished because they should  not have been reported as tested for Covid,. The fact being that if Covid was on the death certificate then it's purely acceptable to accept it was a  Covid  death anyway.  Whatever Smurfy ,says, doesn't alter the fact  the laughter factor in this was highly debatable. Depending on how and where you get your kicks, in this sad old world.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on July 12, 2020, 02:28:40 PM

But if one of those high profile politicians who have been calling Covid-19 the Chinese sniffles and refusing to acknowledge how dangerous is it were to cark it from Covid-19 I would have schadenfreude.

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2020, 02:23:25 PM

I very specifically wrote:- my bright side will be if one of the high profile Covid-19 deniers carks it.

papasmurf

patman post

Absolutely pathetic.
Perhaps my memory is faulty, or I didn't notice, but I don't recall the BBC reporting the day's deaths. However, I do remember the BBC giving death numbers as they are reported — even announcing on Mondays and Tuesdays that the numbers were larger because they were not reported/recorded on each day over the weekend...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Nalaar

Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2020, 12:10:10 PM
Quote from: cromwell on July 12, 2020, 11:56:53 AM

So you criticise someone taking a lighter attitude even joking about it but someone dying is your bright side,don't you feel even a bit of a hypocrite?

Not in the slightest, and for what should be obvious reasons.

I recently saw a set of 4 screenshots from someones Facebook profile of a middle aged man. (Though I have no way to verify if it is real, nevertheless it represents what you are talking about.)

The first screenshot is a status of them ranting about COVID being a hoax etc.
The second screenshot is a photo of them at a beach party.
The third screenshot is a status of them explaining how bad the virus is, that they can hardly sit up without losing their breath.
The fourth screenshot is his obituary.

Personally I think it's deeply upsetting to see how this persons failure to understand the danger they were in has resulted in their suffering and death. Any joy that you find in that represents to me a distinct lack of compassion.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on July 12, 2020, 11:56:53 AM

So you criticise someone taking a lighter attitude even joking about it but someone dying is your bright side,don't you feel even a bit of a hypocrite?

Not in the slightest, and for what should be obvious reasons.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2020, 09:51:40 AM
Quote from: Good old on July 12, 2020, 09:50:03 AM

Party pooper maybe. But in all honesty, 148 deaths. Would there be a joke in it if  we were having a plane crash each day?
We have to look for a bright side ,but it doesn't reside in that awful figure.

My bright side will be if one of the high profile Covid-19 deniers carks it.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?