PMQs: McMorrin and Johnson factory on ‘modem slavery'

Started by GBNews, July 12, 2020, 01:53:39 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

I remember years ago I was working somewhere in Africa when the story broke that M&S were having tee shirts made by workers on £1 a day in the country, big campaign and M&S were forced to stop production. What people failed to realise was that £1 a day was the going rate in that part of the world and all of a sudden they were out of work and had no money for food.

Leicester is a different case but we should all do the research before we use the term slavery, it may just be the norm.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: patman post on July 12, 2020, 10:36:18 PM
burn can become bum, and burns turns into  bums, horned into homed.
Maybe carpet burns, but the BBC? They used to be beyond reproach. Now they are struggling to keep their licence payers.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 12, 2020, 07:53:33 PM
Also, I assume they meant modern slavery and not modem slavery. Don't the BBC have any proof-readers, or is it a £4 an hour apprentice/YTS job?
Modem slavery must be some sort of computer term.
Remember 56k dial up?
Can be a problem with machine reading and/or converting pdf to raw text — burn can become bum, and burns turns into  bums, horned into homed. Similarly modern can become modem, and with BBC resources probably stretched these days due to unpaid licence fees, such slips should be expected...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Barry

Also, I assume they meant modern slavery and not modem slavery. Don't the BBC have any proof-readers, or is it a £4 an hour apprentice/YTS job?
Modem slavery must be some sort of computer term.
Remember 56k dial up?
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 12, 2020, 09:26:02 AM
In the NHS, people are working in offices as "apprentices", full time for £100 per week, work that out on an hourly rate.
Assuming by full time you mean over 20 hours a week and working directly for the NHS or a trust, that's low. Young apprentices should be be getting a minimum of £4.15 per hour.
"Work experience" can be a grey area. Being acquainted with NHS, I'd be surprised if union reps would let irregularities pass...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on July 12, 2020, 09:26:02 AM
In the NHS, people are working in offices as "apprentices", full time for £100 per week, work that out on an hourly rate.

And if the MP for Cardiff North were to drive a mile or so to Bute Town she would see places where £3.50 sounds pretty good.
Algerie Francais !

Barry

† The end is nigh †

GBNews

PMQs: McMorrin and Johnson factory on 'modem slavery'

Labour's Anna McMorrin presses the PM on claims some workers in clothing factories in the UK are paid just £3.50 an hour.

Source: PMQs: McMorrin and Johnson factory on 'modem slavery'