The positive side of Covid 19

Started by Bright Young Thing, July 12, 2020, 06:00:30 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Yes all in all its been a blast  8)  The weather has been great and the garden has never looked better with a new fence both sides  . Ive built a Tiki bar (I posted a photo somewhere ) raised the Kio pond by a foot making it 6ft in total and just completed building a Summerhouse at the end of the garden that Im going to use as a gym .

Thats basically all the projects I had lined up for the next couple of years so Im well pleased

johnofgwent

Well if we're talking DIY

Before

Now

The trees in the background and various plantings by them had overgrown over 15 years to take over the whole of the bottom half of the garden, the area on the right was a mess....

I bought a chainsaw and I have been busy ...

The wooden frame is going onto chippings which I have to lay in the dug area to its left, the greenhouse will then be relocated onto it, the area it now stands on will be lawned, the area 30 ft x 20 ft you cannot see in the foreground before the photo will have a sunburst logo patio ...

Give me another 3 months it might end up looking like the way the wife wanted 20 years ago
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: Barry on July 12, 2020, 08:16:06 PM
I've been a part of a volunteer force which has helped the NHS. The way that has happened has renewed some of my faith in humanity, although I doubt it will last.
We've been involved in running the hospital main reception, accepting items from would be visitors to be taken to relatives on Covid-19 wards. (Visiting was and is still suspended)
We've made PPE, especially face shields to supplement the commercially manufactured ones, local firms donated OHP perspex sheets, foam rubber and elastic.
We've ferried around material to make scrubs, as they were in short supply - nearly all the staff were wearing them.

Also we were on the receiving end early in the lock-down, when my wife ordered some asthma medication, the local pharmacy delivered it, totally unexpected.

I'm not sure whether this is positive or negative, but not being able to see our usual friends for many weeks has made us question the value of some of those friendships.
Some we value much more than others. Some will continue, but others will be cooled somewhat.

I'd had the same feelings Barry, and will be doing the same. Not hear from some throughout yet some have called just to ask if I'm okay. I know who my real friends are now.
<t>True focus lies somewhere between rage and serenity...</t>

Barry

I've been a part of a volunteer force which has helped the NHS. The way that has happened has renewed some of my faith in humanity, although I doubt it will last.
We've been involved in running the hospital main reception, accepting items from would be visitors to be taken to relatives on Covid-19 wards. (Visiting was and is still suspended)
We've made PPE, especially face shields to supplement the commercially manufactured ones, local firms donated OHP perspex sheets, foam rubber and elastic.
We've ferried around material to make scrubs, as they were in short supply - nearly all the staff were wearing them.

Also we were on the receiving end early in the lock-down, when my wife ordered some asthma medication, the local pharmacy delivered it, totally unexpected.

I'm not sure whether this is positive or negative, but not being able to see our usual friends for many weeks has made us question the value of some of those friendships.
Some we value much more than others. Some will continue, but others will be cooled somewhat.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Bright Young Thing on July 12, 2020, 07:07:18 PM

See, this is what makes me laugh......YOU are a destroy-it-yourselfer too!! So does that mean you're quiet too??

:D :D

I don't use much in the way of noisy power tools or anything with a petrol engine. It can get a bit sweary though.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Bright Young Thing

Quote from: papasmurf on July 12, 2020, 06:40:22 PM
Now all the Destroy-It-Yourselfers have run out of projects to do, the silence is a positive.

See, this is what makes me laugh......YOU are a destroy-it-yourselfer too!! So does that mean you're quiet too??

:D :D

papasmurf

Now all the Destroy-It-Yourselfers have run out of projects to do, the silence is a positive.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GregB

Yes I've been fortunate in that I can work from home, don't have to get up so early and no long commute. IT has worked great and I haven't seen a down side from a work perspective. A.so get to spend much more time with my wife and as we have quite a bit of land and are out in the country we have plenty of outdoor space. I've relied on Tesco, Amazon and a pet store online and haven't been short of anything. Fresh meat was scarce from Tesco in the early days of lockdown but found a farm store rg at delivers and never looked back.

More time to do stuff around the house and in the garden.

I realise my circumstances may be better than some but for me it's been little hardship at all.

Bright Young Thing

So does anyone have a positive story about lockdown or Covid 19? Seeing as it always seem to be reported as doom and gloom, has anyone found a new skill, made new friends, got involved with their local community, generally found even just one positive thing from this time?

I'll start, and I have a couple. Firstly at work, I work in Early Education and we have two buildings on site. Both buildings are very separate in every respect but through lockdown we provided several services to children and families, all from one building so I have really enjoyed mixing with all the staff. I have also rediscovered a craft which I've not done for years, which is even starting to make some money for me. Small amounts but still good for the shoe fund!!