Main Menu

Second wave this winter

Started by cromwell, July 14, 2020, 08:19:53 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Left of Centre on July 14, 2020, 06:18:16 PM
A lot of scaremongering in the media about second waves and the 'r' rate and local lockdowns. No acknowledgement of the bigger overall picture which is that the virus is slowly fading away. We're averaging around 100 deaths a day now compared to some days in April where there were 1,000. Have we not just recorded the lowest weekly death figures since the start of the lockdown!?

The real problem is the mathematical model requires decent data input, and the testing policy of the united kingdom was incoherent (and in some places abandoned entirely because it wasn't available in welsh) and has no possible hope now of genuinely modelling those people who have already had, and recovered from, the virus with no medical intervention. The more HONEST of the scientists actually accept that.

It is vital for the control freaks to put out the fear factor that millions will be piled up dead in the streets. Hence the start of the campaign to say 2021 will be just like 2020.

I'm sure a certain member who is at the extreme end of the vulnerability scale is entirely justified in his actions which may look like paranoia to the rest of us. If I were in his shoes, I might feel that way too. But I'm not, and I don't.

The local spikes that we have seen are ***ALL*** down to quite insane behaviour on the part of low paid workers at certain establishments, and at least one of those outbreaks is down to the actions of illegal employers who are probably employing illegal workers. 

These are the facts. But this won't stop project fear 2021
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Borchester on July 14, 2020, 11:38:03 AM

After four months of quite shameful hysteria by the MSM and various vested interests such as the NHS, the main casualty has been faith in the powers that be to look after our interests.

Divven't be daft, man. We're just in pause mode at the moment. The 1st round of shameful hysteria all but fecked the economy completely, but it failed to finish it off. "Shameful hysteria 2, the sequel" will be the knockout blow, mate.

Its like watching some bloke on one of those 'You've been framed' videos, sawing off the branch he is sitting on

patman post

A lot of scaremongering in the media about second waves and the 'r' rate and local lockdowns. No acknowledgement of the bigger overall picture which is that the virus is slowly fading away. We're averaging around 100 deaths a day now compared to some days in April where there were 1,000. Have we not just recorded the lowest weekly death figures since the start of the lockdown!?
Your appraisal seems UK-centric, but I hope you're right. The lock-down, hand washing, and mask-wearing on public transport has had an effect. And recent higher temperatures and longer hours of daylight have too. But October onward is likely to be a dangerous time. Already Bradford and Doncaster are causing similar concern to Liecester...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

A second wave is not scaremongering. (Already happening in some countries.)  Also it isn't "fading away."
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Left of Centre

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on July 14, 2020, 11:00:01 AM
I think (hope?) we will be allot better prepared come the second wave -

How?

After four months of quite shameful hysteria by the MSM and various vested interests such as the NHS, the main casualty has been faith in the powers that be to look after our interests.

In the event of a second wave (120,000? 200,000, a million? What is the 4 pm estimate going to be?) the response of the bulk of the population will be stay calm, carry on and only wear masks if, like my 15 year old grand daughter, they like the colour.

yeah Pretty much.

I'm getting a stock of these in

The FaceMasks of Nyarlathotep.

Yes, it's an in joke, Unless you know what this is it won't make much sense

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Good old

Quote from: Borchester on July 14, 2020, 10:52:04 AM
Quote from: Good old on July 14, 2020, 09:46:59 AM

These are more or less the same warnings coming out at the beginning of the pandemic. The worst scenario was headed off ,with a fair degree of fudging.  Outcome we still suffered very high stats. It really would help if we stopped the fudges and developed a working track and trace, for a  start.
The economy must be reinvigorated , that can not happen if shutdown remains our only really effective method of control. So the government  must be prepared to demand  more personal discipline  from individuals, whilst showing real intent by actually getting a world class track and trace system for instance. The question is . We know the dangers, they have always existed, have the powers that be any intention of hitting Cv19 in an uncompromising manner , not yet shown, outside of lockdown?

Since no one is taking any notice of the various regulations, the government lacks the police to enforce them,  a vaccine won't arrive anytime soon and medical treatment does not go much further than bedrest, lots of fluids and aspirin I can't see what can be done other than to leave the matter in the care of time.

I spent much of last night with a neighbour. She never was the full ticket but she helped out in the local charity shops and when she was not doing that her equally nutty mates would pop round and keep her company. Unfortunately, the only people who take any notice of the fashionable hysteria being pumped out by the media are her and her friends. In fact they are the ones most likely too because they spend most of their lives in front of the TV. So she has nothing to do because the charity shops have shut down, her friends have stopped calling because they are terrified of spreading the bug and she is getting more and more depressed and suicidal.

So to everyone who means well but who is likely to cause my friend to top herself, I can only suggest that they go f**k themselves.

Nice to see what great regard you have for your apparently nutty lady neighbour .
Ignorance is bliss , it is said. Is that the approach you would take? That's not a criticism , as most people's needs in life are very much  in line with how much they do or don't know of reality. Would your friend be more helped if she was to take a ,devil take the hindmost  attitude , only to stumble into Cv19 because she hadn't been given any guide to the risk she took? I agree there is a fair degree of hype in that Mail, piece ,it is a tabloid . But if it puts pressure on the powers that be , to keep right up this things back side, and not just stumble through with the least expense incurred , then it's a fair trade I'm thinking.

Nalaar

How?

Having been through this already both the public and businesses will be in a better position to act than before.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Perhaps the vulture knows something we don't:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-53383387

Bearded vulture spotted in the Peak District
By David Pittam
BBC News, East Midlands
13 July 2020

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Nalaar on July 14, 2020, 11:00:01 AM
I think (hope?) we will be allot better prepared come the second wave -

How?

In the event of a second wave (120,000? 200,000, a million? What is the 4 pm estimate going to be?) the response of the bulk of the population will be stay calm, carry on and only wear masks if, like my 15 year old grand daughter, they like the colour.
Algerie Francais !

Nalaar

I think (hope?) we will be allot better prepared come the second wave - a lot of businesses had to rush into shutting down all at once, remote working was effectively being put into implementation without much training or experience. Whereas I think going forward there will be a more effective 'cautionary wind down' period before any total lockdown. As well as the public being more informed, and with more access to masks/visors etc.

and maybe most importantly the mixed messages being generated by a number of people who were claiming it was all an overreaction, 'nothing but a bad cold' etc, will be drowned out by the statistics available showing how many have died, or have ongoing -potentially chronic- health issues after 'recovering' from the virus.

Don't believe everything you think.

Borchester

Quote from: Good old on July 14, 2020, 09:46:59 AM

These are more or less the same warnings coming out at the beginning of the pandemic. The worst scenario was headed off ,with a fair degree of fudging.  Outcome we still suffered very high stats. It really would help if we stopped the fudges and developed a working track and trace, for a  start.
The economy must be reinvigorated , that can not happen if shutdown remains our only really effective method of control. So the government  must be prepared to demand  more personal discipline  from individuals, whilst showing real intent by actually getting a world class track and trace system for instance. The question is . We know the dangers, they have always existed, have the powers that be any intention of hitting Cv19 in an uncompromising manner , not yet shown, outside of lockdown?

Since no one is taking any notice of the various regulations, the government lacks the police to enforce them,  a vaccine won't arrive anytime soon and medical treatment does not go much further than bedrest, lots of fluids and aspirin I can't see what can be done other than to leave the matter in the care of time.

I spent much of last night with a neighbour. She never was the full ticket but she helped out in the local charity shops and when she was not doing that her equally nutty mates would pop round and keep her company. Unfortunately, the only people who take any notice of the fashionable hysteria being pumped out by the media are her and her friends. In fact they are the ones most likely too because they spend most of their lives in front of the TV. So she has nothing to do because the charity shops have shut down, her friends have stopped calling because they are terrified of spreading the bug and she is getting more and more depressed and suicidal.

So to everyone who means well but who is likely to cause my friend to top herself, I can only suggest that they go f**k themselves.
Algerie Francais !

Good old

cromwell

Could kill 120000 in the UK, stands by for being told a lot of people die every day,it's only a runny nose,just like the flu etc etc.

Well no the economy can't stay shut down forever but we do need to be ready and take precautions.not taken previously.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8517475/UK-face-120-000-hospital-deaths-winter-second-Covid-19-wave.html
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?