No secret Covid-19 deals with big pharma

Started by papasmurf, July 18, 2020, 12:24:38 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 20, 2020, 09:56:31 PM

If you feel that way, then I guess it's achieved its objective...

That is a disgusting comment.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 20, 2020, 06:41:00 PM
That is offensive and a personal insult.
If you feel that way, then I guess it's achieved its objective...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on July 20, 2020, 05:48:09 PM

I did the same. I told my MP that Pappy and I were past it anyway so there is no need to waste vaccines on the likes of us. Even if we did recover we would just creak on for a few extra months, gobbling up NHS resources prior to turning up our toes anyway.

That is offensive and a personal insult.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on July 18, 2020, 07:28:50 PM
Quote from: patman post on July 18, 2020, 07:20:43 PM
Frankly, you come across as fertile ground for any conspiracy theories currently doing the rounds...

The campaign has been going on for months. Long before the petition appeared. I along with many others just do not trust the government.
I emailed my MP as soon as a vaccine looked likely, because I don't want Gilead anywhere near it. (Don't ask please, do your own research.)

I did the same. I told my MP that Pappy and I were past it anyway so there is no need to waste vaccines on the likes of us. Even if we did recover we would just creak on for a few extra months, gobbling up NHS resources prior to turning up our toes anyway.

I think the best idea would be to stop spending money on expensive treatments that are no better than a cup or two of Lemsip, and spend the money on few street parties to cheer us all up. I have no wish to cast asparagus, but a lot of folk seem to have use the Chinese cough as an excuse to be bloody depressing.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

UK's home and German and French vaccine deals seem positive, with Oxford's stirring usually reticent experts to a bit of optimism. Looks like the government has options on nearly 200 million doses if the vaccines successfully complete trials.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53469839
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-uk-deaths-cases-local-lockdowns-back-work/

Russia on Friday unveiled a deal with AstraZeneca to manufacture a COVID-19 vaccine being developed by the pharmaceuticals giant and Oxford University, a move its wealth fund head said showed Moscow had no need to steal vaccine data.
Either way, I guess it means the vaccine will get to the wider world...

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-cyber-russia-exclu/exclusive-russia-despite-theft-allegations-hails-deal-to-make-uk-developed-covid-19-vaccine-idUKKCN24I165
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 18, 2020, 07:20:43 PM
Frankly, you come across as fertile ground for any conspiracy theories currently doing the rounds...

The campaign has been going on for months. Long before the petition appeared. I along with many others just do not trust the government.
I emailed my MP as soon as a vaccine looked likely, because I don't want Gilead anywhere near it. (Don't ask please, do your own research.)

patman post

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 18, 2020, 05:18:51 PM
Is anyone arguing — or has anyone ever argued — against there being copious supplies of Covid vaccine inexpensively available across the planet?

Not publicly.

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on July 18, 2020, 03:13:48 PMYou are making a snap judgement without checking. (Seriously) Unless the entire population of the planet get access to cheap Covid-19 vaccine the pandemic won't be stopped.
Is anyone arguing — or has anyone ever argued — against there being copious supplies of Covid vaccine inexpensively available across the planet? I thought that's what 20-plus organisations around the world were striving for.
Mind you "cheap" I'd steer clear of — could be a Trump chlorine bleach derivative...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 18, 2020, 02:53:08 PM
∆∆∆
Another report about the same NGO activist/conspiracy nut.

You are making a snap judgement without checking. (Seriously) Unless the entire population of the planet get access to cheap Covid-19 vaccine the pandemic won't be stopped.
It is a VERY serious issue, and it not just one "activist/conspiracy nut", it has been an issue for months.

patman post

∆∆∆
Another report about the same NGO activist/conspiracy nut.
However, you'll note the Huff Puff ends its report with much of the same views and info I posted...

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on July 18, 2020, 02:37:08 PM
Seems like another conspiracy nut.

Actually not, there has been campaign for weeks about it. I have emailed my MP several times about it, it has also been a news item on TV news bulletins, and the press:-

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/oxford-vaccine-trial-coronavirus-volunteer-astrazeneca_uk_5f102290c5b619afc3fd8de3

patman post

Seems like another conspiracy nut. The AstraZeneca no-profit deal was announced several weeks ago:

AstraZeneca has reached an agreement with Europe's Inclusive Vaccines Alliance (IVA), spearheaded by Germany, France, Italy and the Netherlands, to supply up to 400 million doses of the University of Oxford's COVID-19 vaccine, with deliveries starting by the end of 2020.
https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-to-supply-europe-with-up-to-400-million-doses-of-oxford-universitys-vaccine-at-no-profit.html

And way back in April, Oxford and AstraZeneca publicised their collaboration:

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/astrazeneca-and-oxford-university-announce-landmark-agreement-for-covid-19-vaccine.html

OK, so not-for-profit is good publicity for AstraZeneca. And the "Big Pharma" bogey is good platform for attention-seeking NGO activists. But it's unreasonable to expect a drug company to commit to future distribution and pricing policies before there's a product, or years ahead of a defined need...