'Fighting to prove we're British'

Started by GBNews, July 22, 2020, 07:03:22 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 22, 2020, 09:11:02 PMWould that be the home secretary thats allowing hundreds of illegal migrants to cross the English channel every week without so much as a statement on what she is doing about it ?
And people born in the UK have to prove they are British to stay here  ?  Somethings wrong somewhere
Couldn't agree more.
👍👍
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2020, 08:58:17 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on July 22, 2020, 08:46:09 PMIn these cases a bit of common sense is required
Common sense is rarely written into Statute Law, but in many cases final decisions are at the discretion of the Home Secretary.

Would that be the home secretary thats allowing hundreds of illegal migrants to cross the English channel every week without so much as a statement on what she is doing about it ?
And people born in the UK have to prove they are British to stay here  ?  Somethings wrong somewhere

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 22, 2020, 08:46:09 PMIn these cases a bit of common sense is required
Common sense is rarely written into Statute Law, but in many cases final decisions are at the discretion of the Home Secretary.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2020, 09:55:47 AM
I think that report was only showing half of the story.
For instance, it referred to "her nursing job", implying she was a nurse, then referred to her time in prison. All three people in the film had been convicted of crimes and all three had failed to apply for naturalisation. None of those people seemed daft, so I have no idea why they did not apply to naturalise.
When living in a foreign country, one has to read the instructions to stay legal. I had to do it when I lived abroad, and I had a language barrier.

Im not 100% on what the rules are these days but have had trouble myself getting wages off of agencies who say they need proof of a right to work in the UK . Apparently a UTR  , social security  number or  the last 50 years P60's isn't  'proof' .  I was told to get a naturalisation certificate which costs somewhere north of a £1000 . Poke that . (They coughed up in the end with a letter from a solicitor)

Maybe nothing to do with the people facing deportation but maybe shows that its easy to loose track of whats going on with the changes to the laws . Nobody told me I would face problems for example  . 
I think the problem here is wether people born in the UK should automatically be British . I would say they would have believed they were when  born which means they are not living abroad and probably had no idea that there were any hoops to jump through to stay legal  later in life .

In these cases a bit of common sense is required

johnofgwent

I also wonder if their criminal records might have impacted a naturalisation application.

And if it would not have, why the F@@@ not, as it should.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: Barry on July 22, 2020, 09:55:47 AM
For instance, it referred to "her nursing job", implying she was a nurse, then referred to her time in prison. All three people in the film had been convicted of crimes and all three had failed to apply for naturalisation. None of those people seemed daft, so I have no idea why they did not apply to naturalise.
When living in a foreign country, one has to read the instructions to stay legal. I had to do it when I lived abroad, and I had a language barrier.
Sorry — please can you repeat that more slowly...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

What Barry Said.

When I worked in France, post EEC, JUST post maastricht, PRE Lisbon and very much PRE "EU" various options were made crystal clear to me during the process. All were presented in french with no translation.

It was made clear my failure to act in accordance with any a available option was MY fault not Frances.

They were delighted to have me stay british but as I spoke in french to the chap rubber stamping my paperwork it seemed they would be equally happy to have me apply to be a Frenchman.....

Maybe I should have .....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

† The end is nigh †

johnofgwent

A other case of not reading the rules until it's too late.

GBNews

'Fighting to prove we're British'

Three people struggling to secure their lives in the UK after learning they're not legally British.

Source: 'Fighting to prove we're British'