General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 09, 2020, 07:04:46 PMand that the German car industry is going to come riding over the hill at sunset

The UK makes up 15% of German car sales, 1 out of every 7. That is fact, not some made up story. Do you think Audi, BMW and Mercedes are just going to let that share of the market just disappear without a fight?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on October 11, 2020, 12:23:13 PM
  All that talk of yours about setting the dogs on tourists

More lies about me, I have never stated that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2020, 09:28:00 AM
How many more times I am NOT a conservative.  The are callous, incompetent, (expletive deleted,) and totally unfit for public office.
I have never been a member of, or supporter of ANY political party. The Tories are just the worst by far of a shabby shower.
You constant personal attacks on me are not funny or smart.
Have you considered counselling. (Seriously.)

It does sound like a bit of over compensation Pappy.  All that talk of yours about setting the dogs on tourists because if they had enough money to waste on holidays then they could afford to take a pay cut, well, I have to say that I like the sound of it  :)
Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2020, 09:28:00 AM
How many more times I am NOT a conservative.  The are callous, incompetent, (expletive deleted,) and totally unfit for public office.
I have never been a member of, or supporter of ANY political party. The Tories are just the worst by far of a shabby shower.

sorry , i thought you said you voted lib dem last GE to beat labour and put the tories in power pappy?

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on October 11, 2020, 09:22:36 AM

Why? Whats wrong with being a conservative pappy?

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2020, 09:06:59 AM
Just shut up if you can't make anything other then stupid personal attacks.
I am NOT a Conservative to state I am is a VERY nasty personal insult.
No "vast wealth," is being sent just ground rent.
I am NOT hiding in my bedroom.
You really do need to take your rose tinted spectacles off about next year it is going to be a total disaster.

Why? Whats wrong with being a conservative pappy?

My auld dad was a lifelong scottish tory.

As for sending your vast amount of entrepenurial cash offshore from selling ex council flats in hertfordshire and depriving the local council tenants of a roof over their heads..............whats is the point i ask again when by your own admission you wont be leaving your bedroom?

Isnt that what you told us pappy? You are hiding in your room till the virus and nasty cornish tourists disappear?

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on October 11, 2020, 08:42:18 AM
Whats the point in transferring your vast wealth offshore my conservative friend if you wont leave the house to spend it?

Do you think coronavirus will disappear come january so you can make some weak feckin point regarding brexit?

Come january next year , you will still be hiding in your bedroom moaning about the world while the rest of us are getting on with things.

Just shut up if you can't make anything other then stupid personal attacks.
I am NOT a Conservative to state I am is a VERY nasty personal insult.
No "vast wealth," is being sent just ground rent.
I am NOT hiding in my bedroom.
You really do need to take your rose tinted spectacles off about next year it is going to be a total disaster.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 11, 2020, 08:28:03 AM

I am at moment in the next few days going to transfer money from the UK to Brittany whilst I still can.
(In the hope the catarsetrophy that will happen next year will get sorted.)

Whats the point in transferring your vast wealth offshore my conservative friend if you wont leave the house to spend it?

Do you think coronavirus will disappear come january so you can make some weak feckin point regarding brexit?

Come january next year , you will still be hiding in your bedroom moaning about the world while the rest of us are getting on with things.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 10, 2020, 11:10:20 PM

The lesson that has perhaps eluded you here is.... don't go to the people who told you not joining the Euro would spell economic doom for the UK.... when you want sound economic advice.

What has eluded you is as it stands at the moment passported financial transactions between the EU and the UK stop at the end of this year.
There is a thread elsewhere on the forum about ex pats living in the EU being told by their UK bank they will have to close their UK bank accounts down.
(Comment on This is money. https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/expat/article-8809991/Is-bank-account-closed-Brexit-Heres-do.html)

At the end of last year via my French bank I had a mountain of paperwork from the French government wanting documentary evidence that I was NOT resident in France.  Luckily my neighbour here at the Lizard is Breton read the documents and was able to specify what was needed.
On my next trip to Brittany after that I took all the paperwork and evidence required to the bank branch in Brittany and asked for help.

The man went above and beyond help he did it all for me (and my wife,) as it was the first time he had seen the documentation.
Photo-copied all the documents asked for, passports,  British HMRC tax references, utility bills, and council tax bill.

I am at moment in the next few days going to transfer money from the UK to Brittany whilst I still can.
(In the hope the catarsetrophy that will happen next year will get sorted.)

Jaydee

Quote from: Baff on October 10, 2020, 11:10:20 PM
Correct.
The ratio however is 3 to 1.

For every 1 that goes to the EU from here, 3 come from the EU to London.
Making it something of a massive win for this country if framing economic success in that specific way is your thing.

The lesson that has perhaps eluded you here is.... don't go to the people who told you not joining the Euro would spell economic doom for the UK.... when you want sound economic advice.

Tell me something how do you work out that 8000 firms from the UK to just over 5000 to the EU. That is around 300 per EU country  works out at ration of 3 to 1.  If you want  sound economic advice.  Do what the Pantomime toff did.  That is Jacob Rees Moggs who moved his company  to Ireland.  And the part time MP.  John Redwood who advised all his client to move their money out of the UK.   The lesson that has perhaps eluded you here  As the brick wall is built higher by the specs steaming up.  And a total failure to register evidence. 

Baff

Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2020, 08:25:46 PM
They have been moving from London to Europe.
https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-7-500-financial-services-jobs-switched-to-europe-survey-12086539

Brexit: More than 7,500 UK financial services jobs and £1trn in assets moved to Europe - survey
A tracker from EY found 400 relocations announced in recent weeks, while a total of more than £1trn in assets are being moved.
Thursday 1 October 2020 12:13, UK

Correct.
The ratio however is 3 to 1.

For every 1 that goes to the EU from here, 3 come from the EU to London.
Making it something of a massive win for this country if framing economic success in that specific way is your thing.

Jaydee

Quote from: Baff on October 10, 2020, 08:08:29 PM
Yes, the record investment we have experienced since voting to leave and the thousands of financial sector jobs that just moved from Europe to London is quite shocking to some, I suppose.

But broadly speaking exactly what I expected to happen.

Basing in the EU doesn't passport you into London markets anymore.
And investing in the EU doesn't look like it's going to get you free trade with Treasure Island either.

It does not matter what evidence is put before the eyes.  The brick wall gets higher

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 10, 2020, 08:25:46 PM
https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-7-500-financial-services-jobs-switched-to-europe-survey-12086539

Brexit: More than 7,500 UK financial services jobs and £1trn in assets moved to Europe - survey
A tracker from EY found 400 relocations announced in recent weeks, while a total of more than £1trn in assets are being moved.

Is that all? ;D pappy?

Thats around 1% of londons financial services sector jobs alone , never mind uk wide!

No quite the drama you are making out is it?

A recent report by TheCityUK, a membership organisation that lobbies for the financial sector, estimates that 751,000 people are currently in jobs across the sector in London as a whole.

Of these, 363,000 – just under half – are in financial services jobs and 388,000 are in related professional services occupations.

Within financial services, 148,000 are in banking, 76,000 are in insurance, 31,000 are in fund management and 108,000 in other roles.

Within professional services, 107,000 are in accountancy, 181,000 are in management consulting and 100,000 are in legal services.

The 751,000 represent a very significant 14.9% of London's total employment and the number has been going up – two years ago, TheCityUK put the total at 729,000, itself an increase on the previous year.

papasmurf

Yes, the record investment we have experienced since voting to leave and the thousands of financial sector jobs that just moved from Europe to London is quite shocking to some, I suppose.

Thomas

But broadly speaking exactly what I expected to happen.

Basing in the EU doesn't passport you into London markets anymore.
And investing in the EU doesn't look like it's going to get you free trade with Treasure Island either.

Dont waste your time baffy.

On every forum i have been on with smurfy over the last ten eyars or so , he has been predicting the end of the world just around the corner "wait and see" for years now.

He is in his element with coronavirus and brexit.