General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on August 20, 2020, 11:25:25 PMThis is a nightmare for the Irish.

Possibly, but Ireland saw this coming and back in 2016 commissioned additional freight ships, two the MV Celine and MV Delphine, their now both in operation and the MV Celine is the largest short sea RoRo ship in the world, the Delphine isn't much smaller.
There's a lot of other freight sea routes/ships opened up also. Now Ireland has moved from shipping 80% of exports through the UK to having the capacity to ship 80% direct to the main land.

Streetwalker

The EU may be the largest trading bloc for now but that will diminish when the UK finally ups sticks . (Just thinking aloud here ) Any sort of arrangement between the UK/USA/Canada  an Anglosphere alliance will see  the EU toppled from its false illusion of greatness .

Ireland would see itself on the western fringe of the union and  with a no deal brexit might just see joining its English speaking pals as a future worth considering .

I remember during the referendum cartoons showing the UK being towed into the mid Atlantic ,nearer the Americas and further away from Europe . Maybe thats where we will end up .

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on August 20, 2020, 10:26:10 PM
Quote from: GerryT on August 20, 2020, 08:49:14 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 20, 2020, 07:28:58 PM
Quote from: GerryT on August 20, 2020, 06:36:49 PM
Clock carries on ticking down and barely a murmur , am sure that will change over the coming months.

Like a bad smell, I'm hard to get rid of !

I am surprised there's no Brexit talk in the UK, trade talks are going nowhere, the latest I heard was an issue with UK road hauliers not having the right to ship goods from A in the EU to B in the EU. This was described as a major issue as UK drivers currently do that on the return leg of a trip when shipping from the UK to point A in the EU. What was suggested is if the Hauliers couldn't do this it would make the shipping into the EU prohibitive.

I'm sure more details will come out on this and other trade talks in the coming weeks. But a hard brexit does look like the outcome, unless Johnson does a complete about turn.
Report to Moderator    Logged
The following users thanked this post: papasmurf
If our hauliers can not operate in the EU then it follows that EU hauliers will not operate in the UK . Looks like Felixstowe could be getting busy .Oh and just drop anything you think we might need at Clarendon dock and we will take it from there

Im not sure on the full details as it came up in talks this week, but from what I heard UK drivers can drive into the EU and drop a load and pick up a load and drop in the UK. But their not allowed to pick up in one EU location and drop/pickup in another. The UK will I'm sure do whats best for the UK, I would guess most EU/UK shipping is RoRo so what you suggest should work.

But there are big issues to yet resolve
Level playing field & state aid
FOM
Security co-operation
Dispute resolution
With such little time left and nothing coming from the UK side I doubt there will be anything other than a hard brexit, but it would seem to me that's what Johnson wanted all along, any hit from brexit can be conveniently blamed on Corona

Those are not issues Gerry.

If the EU don't want to deal then fine.

Level playing field: This is levelling it for the EU as they are the ones that are worried, not us.
Freedom of movement: Not going to happen. Have you need been listening, it will be a points system based on the U.K. needs.
Security cooperation: 2 way street, they don't parlay we don't parlay.
Dispute resolution: We don't have to resolve anything, we don't dance to their tune anymore.

But you disappoint me Gerry, you didn't mention fishing rights. Guess what they don't have any. Can't wait til the French start setting fires to other EU boats encroaching into their waters.
I don't think the EU is worried, it is the largest trading block in the world and trades with over 60 countries, with FTA's being added all the time. Fiscally the UK needs deals and geographically it needs one with the EU, the EU won't move from the level playing field, how could the EU allow a state funded sector compete with EU companies. The EU will protect it's people, if there is to be a deal Johnson will have to rethink. The EU aren't looking for FOM, but it wants guarantees for EU citizens currently living in the UK, this has been somewhat agreed but not tied down. Conversely UK citizens living in the EU will want the same, but the UK Govt. don't seem too worried about them, relying more on what the EU will offer rather than making it happen. Your flippant attitude to security is typical of brexiteers, if this doesn't happen then you and me lose out. It's important that this does get resolved. Disputes will happen in the future, there needs to be an agreed mechanism to deal with these.

Baff

If our hauliers can not operate in the EU then it follows that EU hauliers will not operate in the UK . Looks like Felixstowe could be getting busy .Oh and just drop anything you think we might need at Clarendon dock and we will take it from there

This is a nightmare for the Irish.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on August 20, 2020, 08:49:14 PM
Clock carries on ticking down and barely a murmur , am sure that will change over the coming months.

I am surprised there's no Brexit talk in the UK, trade talks are going nowhere, the latest I heard was an issue with UK road hauliers not having the right to ship goods from A in the EU to B in the EU. This was described as a major issue as UK drivers currently do that on the return leg of a trip when shipping from the UK to point A in the EU. What was suggested is if the Hauliers couldn't do this it would make the shipping into the EU prohibitive.

I'm sure more details will come out on this and other trade talks in the coming weeks. But a hard brexit does look like the outcome, unless Johnson does a complete about turn.

Im not sure on the full details as it came up in talks this week, but from what I heard UK drivers can drive into the EU and drop a load and pick up a load and drop in the UK. But their not allowed to pick up in one EU location and drop/pickup in another. The UK will I'm sure do whats best for the UK, I would guess most EU/UK shipping is RoRo so what you suggest should work.

FOM
Security co-operation
Dispute resolution
With such little time left and nothing coming from the UK side I doubt there will be anything other than a hard brexit, but it would seem to me that's what Johnson wanted all along, any hit from brexit can be conveniently blamed on Corona

Those are not issues Gerry.

If the EU don't want to deal then fine.

Level playing field: This is levelling it for the EU as they are the ones that are worried, not us.
Freedom of movement: Not going to happen. Have you need been listening, it will be a points system based on the U.K. needs.
Security cooperation: 2 way street, they don't parlay we don't parlay.
Dispute resolution: We don't have to resolve anything, we don't dance to their tune anymore.

But you disappoint me Gerry, you didn't mention fishing rights. Guess what they don't have any. Can't wait til the French start setting fires to other EU boats encroaching into their waters.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

FOM
Security co-operation
Dispute resolution

Streetwalker

Report to Moderator    Logged

Thomas

Surprised theres no talk about brexit?

Jesus gerry , ye canne get a word in edgeways at the minute for covid hysterics and identity politics warfare.

Are you a racist as well gerry? :P :D

I hink to be fair the english are still in holiday mode , so once they are back to normal in september , we might be able to get a breather from the chinese sniffles and black lives matters and get back to some normality.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on August 20, 2020, 06:02:34 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 20, 2020, 05:44:41 PM

Just throwing a bit of chum in the water Jerry  and seeing who  bites  ;)

But yes we all know there will be trouble ahead , the concern is if the Tories  are up for it

Christ gerry is back.

I did wonder when the first glimmer of hard brexit  , after being buried wae covid for most of the year , would start to shine through again?

What is it streetwalker , 19 weeks the day and fully out?

Thomas

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 20, 2020, 05:44:41 PM

But yes we all know there will be trouble ahead , the concern is if the Tories  are up for it

Christ gerry is back.

I did wonder when the first glimmer of hard brexit  , after being buried wae covid for most of the year , would start to shine through again?

What is it streetwalker , 19 weeks the day and fully out?

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on August 20, 2020, 01:26:24 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 19, 2020, 06:45:07 PM
From what Im seeing with these talks that are going on I just get a feeling we are about to be knocked sideways in more ways than one .  The withdrawal agreement has been left untouched , not even a suggestion of a tweak which means No deal is our only option to break free .

Will the tories go No deal ?  I dont think so  , trouble ahead me thinks .
The Withdrawal agreement was signed and agreed. It's not for tweaking, when Johnson signed that agreement it was hailed as a great success, it was funny watching Ian Duncan Smith recently complaining about the WA, but he was also the one claiming it was the best thing ever.

It's not a face off, waiting for one or the other to blink. The EU has pretty much what it wants in the WA, it doesn't matter so much if the UK doesn't sign a trade deal, but if there is a deal it will be in line with all the trade deals the EU has struck. The UK is no longer a member so no longer gets special treatment. The EU will protect it's interests in any new deals, it's always been very doubtful that any deal would include services.

Really the time to worry about trouble ahead has long passed.

GerryT

From what Im seeing with these talks that are going on I just get a feeling we are about to be knocked sideways in more ways than one .  The withdrawal agreement has been left untouched , not even a suggestion of a tweak which means No deal is our only option to break free .

The Withdrawal agreement was signed and agreed. It's not for tweaking, when Johnson signed that agreement it was hailed as a great success, it was funny watching Ian Duncan Smith recently complaining about the WA, but he was also the one claiming it was the best thing ever.

It's not a face off, waiting for one or the other to blink. The EU has pretty much what it wants in the WA, it doesn't matter so much if the UK doesn't sign a trade deal, but if there is a deal it will be in line with all the trade deals the EU has struck. The UK is no longer a member so no longer gets special treatment. The EU will protect it's interests in any new deals, it's always been very doubtful that any deal would include services.

Really the time to worry about trouble ahead has long passed.

Borchester

I suspect that they will. Both sides are in deadlock and neither can afford to backdown. I also imagine that after the dust has settled the EU and UK will start to make various quiet deals.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 04, 2020, 05:42:51 PM
Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2020, 02:52:57 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 04, 2020, 08:20:37 AMAnyone with any sense who takes regular meds by the way should always try and build up a reserve of their own . Just in case . 
Is that possible for NHS free-prescription patients on POMs?
It's generally thought practices have been rationing quantities for some time...

Dont know but I just order my stuff electronically a few days early each month and eventually you get ahead a month or so . Its no so much a brexit thing but that my practice  has a tendency to forget or change the rules on what they can and can not send to my chemist  which a few years ago left me a bit short . I just made sure it didn't happen again .

Ditto.

My local surgery must be the only business in the area that is closed at the weekend and which takes a lunch break. Nice folk, but if they can lose a prescription or send it to the wrong chemist they will. So I always keep a week's supply of medication in hand. That said, this lockdown has meant that I have been spending more time gardening which in turn means I need less and less medication. I don't want to make light of this because I know that the virus knocked Streetwalker sideways, but I have to say that, indirectly,it has done me the power of good.
Algerie Francais !