General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 25, 2020, 09:29:54 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2020, 03:40:32 PM

If I were religious I would be wondering what collective sin the British people have done to end up with Bojo The Clown as Prime Minister.
He was totally useless at PMQs today and caught out being economical with the truth several times.
How he has fooled so many people is a mystery.

You dont need to be religious to know how we ended up BJ .Regardless of whether anyone thinks he is a clown ,that he might turn out to be totally useless or that he has been caught with his pants down on many occasions .

The fact remains is that he was the only person that had any chance of becoming PM that backed Brexit . And that is the sole reason he is where he is . He will only have fooled us if he doesn't complete that task .

That is why he is so vilified by the remainers. They will use anything to get him out. I just hope he manages to hang in there until January at the earliest. Hopefully he will get stronger as the year progresses at least he will have time to learn how to manage his recovery.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2020, 03:40:32 PM

If I were religious I would be wondering what collective sin the British people have done to end up with Bojo The Clown as Prime Minister.
He was totally useless at PMQs today and caught out being economical with the truth several times.

You dont need to be religious to know how we ended up BJ .Regardless of whether anyone thinks he is a clown ,that he might turn out to be totally useless or that he has been caught with his pants down on many occasions .

The fact remains is that he was the only person that had any chance of becoming PM that backed Brexit . And that is the sole reason he is where he is . He will only have fooled us if he doesn't complete that task .

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 24, 2020, 03:25:38 PM
Neither you nor your opinions count because Boris knows that you will never vote for him.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2020, 02:52:00 PM
Quote from: Borchester on June 24, 2020, 02:47:34 PM

Boris won't make a deal because if he does he won't make it to the New Year. Whatever else, the blond moppet has his finger on the pulse

Bojo The Clown won't feel a pulse where he keeps his finger.

You are, as usual, missing the point.

Neither you nor your opinions count because Boris knows that you will never vote for him. The vote he needs is mine. I haven't got much and don't mind losing a bit of it provided we are clear of the EU by the end of the year. And there are millions like me.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester on June 24, 2020, 02:47:34 PM

Boris won't make a deal because if he does he won't make it to the New Year. Whatever else, the blond moppet has his finger on the pulse

Bojo The Clown won't feel a pulse where he keeps his finger.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry on June 24, 2020, 09:45:15 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2020, 07:52:03 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on June 24, 2020, 06:53:30 AM
Johnson for all his tub thumping is not going to walk away with a no deal and he knows it , we know it  and sadly the EU know it .

There is going to be a crash out Brexit on January 1st 2021 and Boris The Clown will be the cause of it.
I'm inclined to believe Streetwalker, so a deal will be struck. It's just how much of a betrayal it turns out to be. Boris knows he only has 4 more years in power, and the Tories don't want to completely ruin their chances in 2024. There will be a compromise deal and Boris will be dumped mid term, I reckon.

These negotiations have been going on for so long that I have lost track of what we are arguing about. I do know that there are probably more anglers on the Grand Union Canal than currently employed by the UK fishing industry, but we can't back down and nor can the EU. So I imagine that we will simply leave under and start trading under WTO terms.

Boris won't make a deal because if he does he won't make it to the New Year. Whatever else, the blond moppet has his finger on the pulse of the Tory grassroots and he knows that he will be forgiven even if he does take the UK down, provided he does so with the guns firing and the bands playing, but not because he has raised a white flag to half mast.

Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on June 24, 2020, 07:52:03 AM
Johnson for all his tub thumping is not going to walk away with a no deal and he knows it , we know it  and sadly the EU know it .

There is going to be a crash out Brexit on January 1st 2021 and Boris The Clown will be the cause of it.
I'm inclined to believe Streetwalker, so a deal will be struck. It's just how much of a betrayal it turns out to be. Boris knows he only has 4 more years in power, and the Tories don't want to completely ruin their chances in 2024. There will be a compromise deal and Boris will be dumped mid term, I reckon.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

cromwell

Quote from: cromwell on June 23, 2020, 10:44:03 PM
Yes Stevlin we need to go completely, no halfway house and I don't trust Boris to deliver that.
They have handled the virus issue badly and there are those who seek to make covid as another reason we shouldn't leave.

No nor me ,never trust a tory . Johnson for all his tub thumping is not going to walk away with a no deal and he knows it , we know it  and sadly the EU know it .

We will leave with much of the EU's political machine still entwined in our governance in a  'free trade deal' that will have Johnson telling us he got Brexit done . It will of course be none of the sort but something resembling  Mayhems WA . This will avoid the 'cliff edge'  and appease to some extent the remain groups who will see and seize every opportunity to delay the 'gradual divergence' that will be the making of the deal .

I fear we still have some way to go ,after 4 years of treading water we are not going to suddenly start swimming . 

Are we ?
No we aren't,there are still too many pressures from groups who have never accepted the referendum,there will be some sort of free trade deal dressed up as you say as getting brexit done.

These people are playing the long game and still bank on a change of heart that will see us slowly enveloped back in to the embrace of Brussels.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Streetwalker

Yes Stevlin we need to go completely, no halfway house and I don't trust Boris to deliver that.
They have handled the virus issue badly and there are those who seek to make covid as another reason we shouldn't leave.

No nor me ,never trust a tory . Johnson for all his tub thumping is not going to walk away with a no deal and he knows it , we know it  and sadly the EU know it .

We will leave with much of the EU's political machine still entwined in our governance in a  'free trade deal' that will have Johnson telling us he got Brexit done . It will of course be none of the sort but something resembling  Mayhems WA . This will avoid the 'cliff edge'  and appease to some extent the remain groups who will see and seize every opportunity to delay the 'gradual divergence' that will be the making of the deal .

I fear we still have some way to go ,after 4 years of treading water we are not going to suddenly start swimming . 

Are we ?

Nick

Couldn't disagree with you more Mr C. The COVID issue has been handled like any other unforeseen issue, the government do what they think is right or guided to think is right for that moment, it invariably isn't right but, it isn't a party thing as neither party could have got this right.

As for Boris, I trust that he will see this through. He has already told the EU no extension is forthcoming and they are now scrabbling around for Optrex after not blinking for 3 years. Merkel knows what no deal means for the EU, and for the time being is choosing to side with the lesser of 2 evils, zero tariffs and quotas with the UK. Keep the faith.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

cromwell

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Stevlin

Quote from: T00ts on June 23, 2020, 07:47:12 PM

Oh yes I 100% agree. Any ties  that leave us obeying rules that limit our endeavours elsewhere will be the worst outcome and I can't help but feel that the EU are concerned at face saving and having power over us that I am sure they will tweek and gloat over for decades to come. .
Even more than that Toots - the EU can ill afford to even make it appear that an EU member state can leave the EU and not struggle economically....from that point of view, the EU must desperately wish to make an example of the UK....despite their denials. However, even though I accept that the UK will lose more beneficial trade with the EU than most EU countries, the EU in itself, as a still unofficial Federation of States, will undoubtedly miss their access to the  UK market, as well as the UK's ridiculous multi-billion annual 'tribute'.

So, they will still have to wrestle with their cleft stick....a problem even for Macron, despite his inbuilt pleasure at seeing the back of the UK.

T00ts

Quote from: Barry on June 23, 2020, 07:41:36 PM
I agree Stevlin. We must not allow ourselves to be impeded by any strings to a trade deal, any more than we would with any country in the world. Everything has to have give and take, but not subservience.

Oh yes I 100% agree. Any ties  that leave us obeying rules that limit our endeavours elsewhere will be the worst outcome and I can't help but feel that the EU are concerned at face saving and having power over us that I am sure they wIll tweek and gloat over for decades to come. .

Barry

I agree Stevlin. We must not allow ourselves to be impeded by any strings to a trade deal, any more than we would with any country in the world. Everything has to have give and take, but not subservience.
† The end is nigh †