General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Churchill

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=8034 time=1575287475 user_id=75
Actually parliament and the judiciary are working as intended.

It's not the fault of the system that the Conservatives sought a hard Brexit without gaining any wider parliamentary support, threw away their majority, became dependent on the DUP drawing N.Ireland politics into the fray, abused the porogueing of parliament to avoid scrutiny and then couldn't defend their actions in court.

The problem is that we have an incompetent and increasingly untrustyworthy executive. Mr Johnson has just claimed the queens speech was blocked by parliament but it passed by 310 to 294 so this is a categorical lie.

I disagree the Government could not perform as it should even when it had a modest majority, bringing in 11 unelected Judges into the equation to override the Government is not good for Democracy why not do away with Parliament completely and let Barristers and Judges run the country instead.

Democracy is already in danger and has been since many OF our Poloticians and unelected business people began to try and stop the will of the majority who voted to leave the EU, something I have wanted to happen for decades, I had my say at long last and have been ignored .

I am not keen on Boris but he is the best of a very bad bunch, Corbyn and his posse of far left wing Marxists and Momentum fill me with dread totally incompetent untrustworthy and will bankrupt the UK in very short order.

If they win I want the GE run again until I get the result I want, if it good enough for those who want to keep us in the undemocratic EU its good enough for the 17.4 million majority.

As soon as a GE is called , I believe no matter what is in the Queens speech is null and void everything stops
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Churchill post_id=8021 time=1575278946 user_id=69
If we have another hung Parliament nothing will get done as the bickering continues, if the Tory's win with a decent workable majority they can move forward , if Labour win time to head for Heathrow

The bickering was little to do with a hung Parliament.

A significant chunk of the pro brexit wing of the conservative party blocked the WA whilst a number of opposition MP voted with the government plus Labour whipped abstentions on several occasions.

Johnson is trying to spin the narrative that parliament blocked him.

- He voted against May's WA

- He withdrew his WA (the one he says is great) *after* it had passed it's 2nd reading in the commons.

Churchill

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=8019 time=1575278687 user_id=88
I think I might pull something laughing....

I don't think a hung Parliament would allow it to continue. I suspect anything short of a workable Tory majority will result in a 2nd ref, probably within the 6month or so timetable set out by labour.

Of course a Tory majority would result in the WA being ratified and then brexit will drag on for a decade or so as the future relationship gets hammered out

We are basically at the end of season one of a 10 season box set.

If we have another hung Parliament nothing will get done as the bickering continues, if the Tory's win with a decent workable majority they can move forward , if Labour win time to head for Heathrow
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Streetwalker

Its the over exposer to Scotch Bonnets Barry , sent many a god man mad  . They ,the chilli's , will  be available at your wholesalers though even with a  hard Brexit as your blond idiot fellow diner will ensure their continued supply .

Barry

I was at my local Indian restaurant last night and the waiter, who is a usually a meek and mild man decided to go off on one.

He started with floods up north and in Devon, floods in Venice and wildfires in Australia. He then moved on to Brexit and a blonde idiot who wants a hard Brexit which will ruin our business and prevent us picking up fruit from the wholesalers. He thought our politicians were all useless and should be shot with an AK47. The mention of a particular firearm caused me some concern. Just saying flippantly "they should all be shot" is one thing, but saying what he did as an election is coming up did sound rather worrying!

Anyway, once he'd had his rant we had a lovely meal, as usual. However it does show the strength of this gentleman's feelings over climate change and Brexit in particular.
† The end is nigh †

patman post

Quote from: Borchester post_id=5673 time=1573663308 user_id=62
Well, that is tough on the Huns but they have a weakness for lost causes.

And a fondness for good engineering...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Borchester

Quote from: Javert post_id=5686 time=1573666390 user_id=64
Why?  If you had a part of the UK conducting an illegal referendum then trying to secede from the UK illegally, what else do you think they would do?  

Nothing. The government would huff and puff and declare that the SNP were up evil incarnate, but to send in the goon squads would create a massive counter reaction, not only in Scotland but in the rest of the UK. If a majority of Scots declare for independence then there won't be any question of it being illegal, both sides will just sit down and start haggling.

The important point is that we are in the middle of an election where the opposition parties are supporting a second referendum over Brexit. The Tories can't agree Indy2 and refuse one on the EU. Of course once Boris is back as PM he may look north and think Labour or SNP, it does not matter a lot. Neither of the buggers will vote for me, so I might as well agree to Scottish independence and get rid of 50 odd opposition MPs at the same time.
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

Quote from: Javert post_id=5686 time=1573666390 user_id=64
Why?  If you had a part of the UK conducting an illegal referendum then trying to secede from the UK illegally, what else do you think they would do?  

(again just to stress, I am not saying I support these actions - just that I think this is what the Conservatives would end up doing).

This is not Spain,if the SNP won the election based on holding another referendum they would show they had the support needed,also it would take more than riot police.......the armed forces and you believe what you will but the armed forces owe their allegiance to the crown so if Liz or Big ears as successor said no way (as i believe they would)  then it wouldn't be happening.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Javert

Quote from: cromwell post_id=5685 time=1573666272 user_id=48
Blimey Javert you do have a jaundiced view,any attempt at the above would see the pm out on their arse quick time.

(again just to stress, I am not saying I support these actions - just that I think this is what the Conservatives would end up doing).

cromwell

Quote from: Javert post_id=5684 time=1573666070 user_id=64
Well yes I do mean something like that - what I mean is that the Tories will simply not allow a referendum under any circumstances, and if Scotland tries to conduct one anyway, they will do whatever it takes to stop it or anull it, even if that includes using riot police or whatever.  I doubt it will actually go that far but my belief is that the Tories will not allow another referendum for at least another 10-20 years if they are in power.

Obviously it's an opinion, but that's my feeling based on what I'm seeing about how the Tories behave.

Blimey Javert you do have a jaundiced view,any attempt at the above would see the pm out on their arse quick time.

Javert

Quote from: cromwell post_id=5626 time=1573646826 user_id=48
Don't be silly Javert,you mean like throwing people downstairs,battering people trying to vote and confiscating ballot boxes?

The public in England would never wear that never mind the Scots.

Well yes I do mean something like that - what I mean is that the Tories will simply not allow a referendum under any circumstances, and if Scotland tries to conduct one anyway, they will do whatever it takes to stop it or anull it, even if that includes using riot police or whatever.  I doubt it will actually go that far but my belief is that the Tories will not allow another referendum for at least another 10-20 years if they are in power.

Obviously it's an opinion, but that's my feeling based on what I'm seeing about how the Tories behave.

Borchester

Quote from: "patman post" post_id=5642 time=1573651857 user_id=70
Brexit helps Tesla choose Germany for first European factory

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/108395/tesla-gigafactory-europe-to-be-built-in-germany-not-uk-as-elon-musk-blames-brexit">https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/108 ... mes-brexit">https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/108395/tesla-gigafactory-europe-to-be-built-in-germany-not-uk-as-elon-musk-blames-brexit

Well, that is tough on the Huns but they have a weakness for lost causes.
Algerie Francais !

patman post

Brexit helps Tesla choose Germany for first European factory

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/108395/tesla-gigafactory-europe-to-be-built-in-germany-not-uk-as-elon-musk-blames-brexit">https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/108 ... mes-brexit">https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/tesla/108395/tesla-gigafactory-europe-to-be-built-in-germany-not-uk-as-elon-musk-blames-brexit
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Javert post_id=5605 time=1573639631 user_id=64
As far as I can tell, the Tories have explicitly ruled out a Scottish indpendence referendum during the entire next parliament.

So much for the idea that voting to deliver Brexit will also deliver independence.

I have little doubt that the Tories, if elected with a large majority, will take the same approach that Spain took with Catalonia to any attempt at Scottish Independence.

I don't agree with that - I think it would be despicable.  However that's what I think the Tories would do.

Don't be silly Javert,you mean like throwing people downstairs,battering people trying to vote and confiscating ballot boxes?

The public in England would never wear that never mind the Scots.

Javert

As far as I can tell, the Tories have explicitly ruled out a Scottish indpendence referendum during the entire next parliament.

So much for the idea that voting to deliver Brexit will also deliver independence.

I have little doubt that the Tories, if elected with a large majority, will take the same approach that Spain took with Catalonia to any attempt at Scottish Independence.

I don't agree with that - I think it would be despicable.  However that's what I think the Tories would do.