General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 13, 2020, 01:57:21 PM

FFS so what are you moaning about then?

Storm in a tory teacup as ever from you.

Because with the demise of the EHIC card I now have to pay for medical cover which is expensive.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 01:55:42 PM
I take out private travel and repatriation insurance  anyway,

FFS so what are you moaning about then?

Storm in a tory teacup as ever from you.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on December 13, 2020, 01:34:52 PM
I can't see Pappy paying as little as that. He has intimated many pre-existing conditions and they don't come cheap.

I take out private travel and repatriation insurance  anyway, private medical insurance with the demise of the EHIC card is expensive for people my age.
You can't get annual cover and have to pay per trip.

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on December 13, 2020, 01:34:52 PM
I can't see Pappy paying as little as that. He has intimated many pre-existing conditions and they don't come cheap.

no worries barry , but the uk isnt going to be held hostage so some 72 year old can get a free EHIC card that doesnt cover anywhere near the level travel insurance does.

For the vast majority who visit france , travel insurance cover will be the norm.

Barry

Quote from: Thomas on December 13, 2020, 01:25:37 PMPretty much the vast majority of people i know who travel abroad , wether europe or further afield , take out private travel insurance. On martin lewis site , you can get travel insurance for as little as 18 quid a year.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on December 13, 2020, 01:26:32 PM

aye i thought that barry. I havent saw any insult in streetwalkers post to pappy .
Just Goebbels, losing the argument again. He will be getting out his machine gun you know!
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on December 13, 2020, 01:23:21 PM
Rubbish. You must have read a different post to me. Streetwalker never insults anyone.

aye i thought that barry. I havent saw any insult in streetwalkers post to pappy .

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 11:17:37 AM
The point being the EHIC card was free holiday health insurance is expensive.

Dont agree pappy.

I travel to france on  a regular basis , we have friends living just outside of Rennes , Paris , and my brother in law lives in Chamonix.

Pretty much the vast majority of people i know who travel abroad , wether europe or further afield , take out private travel insurance. On martin lewis site , you can get travel insurance for as little as 18 quid a year.

France has become one of the most expensive countries to holiday in over the last 5 or ten years or so , and travel insurance is peanuts in comparison to the cost of holidaying in France. Not to mention of course if you get the ferry over from your kneck of the woods to st malo or cherbourg /roscoff , its not exactly a cheap way of travelling. So if you go to France and cant afford basic cover from 18 quid , then theres something seriously wrong.

The idea of staying in the eu/doing a deal that signs away the uk sovereignty to get some silly EHIC card which doesnt provide anywhere near the level of cover private insurance does is a nonsense. As an argument its a complete non starter , nor do i see anyone remotely worried about it .

Its just another over the top hysterical argument about brexit .

What does it not cover?

The EHIC does not provide the same level of cover as travel insurance. For example, private medical treatment is not covered. If admitted to a private hospital, you would be liable to pay for it yourself. However, travel insurance can cover this – although, only if state medical facilities are unavailable.

Needless to say, private medical care can be very expensive! In 2015 a British couple travelling with just EHICs were left with a £2,400 medical bill after one of them received treatment for pneumonia in a private hospital in Spain. In an emergency, an ambulance may not take you to a state-funded hospital. If a private one is closer or better able to provide care, that is where it will take you.

The EHIC also does not cover associated costs, such as mountain rescue. If you have an accident while skiing that required an air ambulance, you would be left with the bill. It's worth noting that many hospitals in and around ski resorts are private too.

Finally, the other important expense not covered by the EHIC is repatriation. The EHIC does not cover transport home if you were not able to travel back as planned. According to the Association of British Insurers (ABI), an air ambulance back to the UK from Spain can cost £25,000.
How does travel insurance compare to the EHIC?

Unlike the EHIC, travel insurance can provide cover for private medical treatment, associated costs, and repatriation back to the UK. When you consider the relatively low cost of a travel insurance policy, it's not difficult to see how a small outlay can save you from potentially enormous expenses.

https://www.freespirittravelinsurance.com/blog/2020/09/ehic_vs_travel_insurance/

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 11:23:01 AM
More personal insults and lies about me. 
Rubbish. You must have read a different post to me. Streetwalker never insults anyone.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on December 13, 2020, 11:54:11 AM
Taken from your link.

" With your EHIC you can get healthcare - and claim reimbursement for the costs you incur - on the same terms as nationals of the country you are in. If the treatment you need is free for local residents, you won't have to pay."

I already knew that thanks. It was a reciprocal agreement.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on December 13, 2020, 12:16:45 PM

The mind boggles at how our politicians could ever have been so useless as to have accepted this.

I knew how useless (Tory,) politicians are, and would make a complete bog of Brexit without a thought about the damage a no deal Brexit will do to millions of people in Britain.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on December 13, 2020, 11:27:03 AM
Then you won't be getting sick abroad on your holidays. Will you?

I will just have to pay for medical insurance. As the over 15 million Brits who travel to Europe every year will.
(It is cheaper than holidaying in Britain.)

Baff

Quote from: Nick on December 13, 2020, 11:54:11 AM
Taken from your link.

" With your EHIC you can get healthcare - and claim reimbursement for the costs you incur - on the same terms as nationals of the country you are in. If the treatment you need is free for local residents, you won't have to pay."

The problem is their healthcare isn't particularly "free" locally and there aren't so many of us there using it.
Ours on the otherhand is bloody expensive is totally "free" locally and there are millions of them here using it.

Yet another example of a god awful "deal" from the EU.
The mind boggles at how our politicians could ever have been so useless as to have accepted this.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 11:24:59 AM
Bollocks, it is part of the NHS system. If people were idiot enough not to have an EHIC that was very much their problem.
I am NOT rich.

Taken from your link.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 11:09:17 AMCould you be more specific, all the card is used for is to get receipts for money paid out and are claimed back on return to the UK.

Clearly you don't know how it works, I suggest you read your own link. If the treatment is free to locals it is SUPPOSED to be free for anyone, well it isn't, if you can actually get any treatment.

We don't all just travel to go and sit in a caravan in Brittany, some of us go to more remote countries like Latvia and Estonia. Like most of your comments, they come from a position of almost zero experience of what you're talking about.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.