General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 28, 2020, 08:30:38 AM
Prove it.

It is blatantly obvious, but not to you.  The Farage Garage is a bit of clue. No-one knows what compliant paperwork and labelling is going to be because the government is not telling them. (I suspect they don't know either.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Jaydee

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2020, 11:13:40 PM
No where in your previous post did you mention EU customers. You simply said U.K. banks won't be able to XYZ.

Get it into the swede.  The legal consequences of Brexit is that the UK will loses its passporting rights. No ifs or fanny from the gob of Big Kranky Bojo, the world beating muppet will alter that fact.  Or the fact you believe the bullshit coming from that direction.   That is matter for you.  And let me add.  A foreign bank with a current London subsidiary can currently sell services right across the UK.   That will no longerf appy on 1st January. And the reality is banks have gave up hope  of retaining the rights since it was apparent the Uk was leaving the SM.  The Financial Times have estimated that on a good day the Financial hit to the UK will be in the region of some £20 billion to financial business and the loss of some 10,000 jobs, within a few years. That is happening now.

Given that those job are higher paid.  The loss in tax revenue will be significant.  On the reality side the consultancy firm Oliver Wyman estimated that the loss of passporting and zero regulatory that the job loss will be on the north side of 35,000 and likely to be 75,000. To put that into perspective.  When the RBS crashed.  Some 30,000 jobs in England were lost.  Some 90% of the RBS UK  customer  base is in England. And some 5,000 jobs went in  in NI.  Most jobs were in the City of London.  That was just one bank.   That is the scale you are looking at.  And you, me, Uncle Tom Cobly and all are still paying for it.  And for the benefit of those still reading the Emperor's clothes.  Those are not my prediction or figures. They are from Englishmen in England as the anti English crap gets banded about. The normal scream, because a answer is not forthcoming to any question.   Shoot the messenger.  Rather than address the issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/17/brexit-transition-city-jobs-london

In total passporting account for 7% of total Uk economic output and supports some 1 million jobs.  It is not a wee tiny problem, to be dismissed by the wave of  hand by those who are clearly clueless on the impact.  With the Brexit means brexit totally meaningless sound bites. .  It is UK high end jobs. That delivers 80% of the Uk economy.   Get it into the swede.  If the UK leaves the SM on a crash out it will be considered a third country. These passports are not available to third country firms, i.e. firms incorporated outside the EU. Non-EU firms face significant regulatory barriers to providing cross-border banking and investment services to customers in many EU Member States. In many Member States it is either not possible or practical for a non-EU firm to obtain a licence to provide cross-border banking or investment services to local customers.  And the Uk will protect its members.  And the German car industry is not going to come riding over the hill, banging on the door of Number 10 demanding a deal from the Big Kranky muppet.  Get the they need us more than we need them drivel out of the swede.  The EU will operate under EU and WTO laws and rules. And their first priority will be to protect its members.  The UK will not be a member.  End off. But geest witever you say.  Why let facts get in the road

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 28, 2020, 08:29:10 AM
Really?  A no deal Brexit will practically stop 40% of Britain's trade, the only unknown is for how long.

Prove it.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Nick

Quote from: Nick on October 28, 2020, 08:24:41 AM
Are you going to qualify your statement by actually giving some detail for once?

As Tom alluded to, you're the guy wandering about with the end is nigh placard on.

papasmurf

Quote from: cromwell on October 28, 2020, 08:26:59 AM

Brexit or no all parties will want to see trade to continue.

Really?  A no deal Brexit will practically stop 40% of Britain's trade, the only unknown is for how long.

cromwell

Quote from: papasmurf on October 28, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Just add a no deal Brexit onto Covid-19 and it is going to get a lot worse in January.
It's going to get a lot worse in January.....yes you've already said that once over,did you eat some thing that's repeating on you?

Look the only upside of this whole covid affair is that the whole world is in the same economic boat so if you think are alone affected then you're mistaken.
Brexit or no all parties will want to see trade to continue.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 28, 2020, 08:16:56 AM
Just add a no deal Brexit onto Covid-19 and it is going to get a lot worse in January.

Are you going to quantify your statement by actually giving some detail for once?

As Tom alluded to, you're the guy wandering about with the end is nigh placard on.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 28, 2020, 08:14:00 AM
No it's not. GDP already fell by 20.4%, more than double that of 2008. All borders to trade were closed Apr, May and June. Just cause you say it doesn't make it true.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 28, 2020, 07:53:48 AM
It is going to get a lot worse in January.

No it's not. GDP already fell by 20.4%, more than double that of 2008. All borders to trade were closed Apr, May and June. Just cause you say it doesn't make it true.

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on October 28, 2020, 07:53:48 AM

The end of the world is nigh i tell you!
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on October 28, 2020, 07:52:16 AM

CV-19 has already done the damage to the world, it isn't getting any worse come January.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 28, 2020, 12:50:47 AMWe as in the people on this thread/forum that keep arguing the same stuff over and over, there has been no sign of any financial win from Brexit, what happens in 30 or 40 yrs no body knows, but we do know brexit is a financial hit for the UK, a big one, unless you want to show otherwise.

No we don't, we don't care. How many times do I have to tell you we are happy to take a hit to get out of the EU.
You just keep hitting us with facts about how we will suffer when all along it is you who is worrying about the impact of Brexit. Ireland will suffer far more than the UK on no deal and you didn't ask for it, I get that but don't constantly keep telling us what mess it will be for the UK as we don't care.

CV-19 has already done the damage to the world, it isn't getting any worse come January.

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester on October 27, 2020, 10:16:15 PM

I like your stuff Gerry, but it is time to up your game.

spot on borkie.

If you think about it , it shows the psychological stupidity of english remainers , when one of them poses as a "concerned foreigner" on a daft politics forum to constantly lecture the english of how naughty they have been voting brexit and all the bad things that is going to befall them if they carry on with it!

It doesnt take an expert to work out the reaction to this line of attack?!

Surely gerry would be better retiring his latest sock puppet and setting one up in the line of a working class englishman who voted brexit but is now regretfull and now wants to remain? :D

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on October 27, 2020, 08:34:16 PM
I know because I live in Dublin and nobody is talking of reunification. It's not on the radio, tv, news and none of friends, family co-workers have brought that up in years..

Dont talk cac.

Heres jim o callaghan , Fianna fail TD , talking about it two days ago..

https://youtu.be/nEWBD4Y8EhI

heres "your" taoiseach , you know the irish prime minister michael martin talking about it in july...

https://www.irishpost.com/news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-not-in-favour-of-divisive-irish-unity-referendum-188724

and here it is being discussed again by the likes of fianna fails barry cowen and others ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shared-island-initiative-sparks-policy-debate-in-fianna-f%C3%A1il-1.4389753

So what are you talking about?

Why arent you discussin brexit from an irish standpoint instead of talking like an english remainer and arguing almost exclusively about  brexit in terms of its effect on england while arguing on behalf of the eu admininstration ?

Your a fraud gerry.

QuoteBrexit gets the odd mention but most people have moved on to other things,

Well thats a desperate contradiction. If you are irish , ( you arent) and brexit only gets a fleeting mention in ireland now and again with the insinuation no can't is bothered , why are you on here day after day solely talking about it to the exclusion of all else?

You havent to my knowledge posted ever in the irish thread , and spend most if not all your time on this brexit thread.?

You are nothing but another anglo remain concern troll.

Quotethere's very few people in ROI want to inherit a bunch of fanatical ulster unionists.

Further findings from the poll also suggest there is significant support among Irish voters for a united Ireland.

65% of voters polled have indicated they would vote in favour of a united Ireland if a referendum was held tomorrow. 19% would vote against the proposal, while 15% of respondents to the poll said they did not know or refused to answer the question

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0525/1051603-rte-tg4-exit-poll/

another vague meaningless comment by you. You dont half talk some rubbish.

QuoteYou think you know, but believe it or not Irish history taught in primary school spends very little time talking about England and it's influence on Irish life.

is that so?

:D

QuoteIf I want to discuss Irish history I can go onto an Irish history forum

sure you can. My point is you dont want to discuss praactically any aspect of ireland past present of future, or day to day living , or especially politics.  You focus almost entrely on brexit and englands relationship with the eu  , which is strange for someone who apprently isnt english or living in england or the wider uk.

QuoteBut I want to discuss Brexit and how it will affect Europe

No you dont . You spend your whole time discussing how brexit will adversely (in your opinion of course) affect England  , not europe . You are an english pro remainer constantly parping out non stop project fear.

No one is listening  , its boy who cried wolf stuff.

QuoteFrom the day I joined I said I wanted to try understand the reasons people voted for brexit

You have been told time and gain by your fellow english why they voted brexit , and no you dont want to understand merely throw mud constantly at brexit. Tough.

Its happening in 9 weeks.
What it's boiled down to is a romantic idea of sovereignty which doesn't exist and a fear of immigration which the UK always had control over. Oh and 40 yrs of lying about the EU and blaming the EU on everything. People here keep talking about the sunny uplands and how everything will be so great, that's why we are on this merry go round of me pointing out whats actually happening and asking for a couple of examples of the sunny uplands, still hasn't happened. We could stop if people just said, yes we know it's a financial disaster but our children's, children's children might see the crop from the hard work the next couple of generations put in.

Saying the same thing over and over and expecting a different response is the sign of idiocy if not madness.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 27, 2020, 09:27:00 PMho is "we".

We could stop.

Quote (selected)
We could stop if people just said, yes we know it's a financial disaster but our children's, children's children might see the crop from the hard work the next couple of generations put in.

We?

You are Irish.
You aren't leaving the EU.
We as in the people on this thread/forum that keep arguing the same stuff over and over, there has been no sign of any financial win from Brexit, what happens in 30 or 40 yrs no body knows, but we do know brexit is a financial hit for the UK, a big one, unless you want to show otherwise.

Quote from: Baff on October 27, 2020, 09:27:00 PMPlenty of people here just said "it's a financial disaster muh children's future..."
That didn't stop us leaving.
Endlessly repeating the same old losing argument won't suddenly take you back in time and make you win it.
It's financial disaster for you.
I understand that.
I think you are probably right.
Now you need to do things to mitigate that disaster.
You could... blame the UK.
In the hope that they will ride to your rescue.
Or in the hope that the UK's enemies will ride to your rescue.
Or just to distract people from the fact that you are doing nothing whatsoever about it.
At the moment it's far from a financial disaster, I work a lot with pharma companies and we haven't been as busy in years with 2 building c19 vaccine production facilities. Brexit itself won't impact what I do work wise, thats not a concern. The impact it will have on IRL and the setback economically is, but what ever the hit it's nothing compaired to what the UK will go through. Brexit will be a hit for IRL, no doubt and most business have taken action but some don't always have an option to fully mitigate the risks.