General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Stevlin

Quote from: papasmurf on June 28, 2020, 08:21:22 PM

You have no idea what I believe.  So don't make assumptions.
Don't talk so daft.....you make your thoughts extremely clear on the forum....such as a 'disaster looming' because of a possible lack of favourable Brexit terms, and Brexit itself......needless to say, with the customary Remainiac's lack of credible evidence being provided.

papasmurf

Quote from: Stevlin on June 28, 2020, 08:12:56 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2020, 06:47:49 PM

I am preparing for the disaster I cannot see any plusses at all.

Hardly surprising coming from someone who apparently believes that it is 'sensible practise' to subsidise an unnecessary political  political entity for many billions annually, (which has to be borrowed of course), in order to participate in so called 'free trade'.....
Sensible people would realise that it is much fairer, (even ignoring the dreadful undemocratic element associated with the EU), and far more sensible to promote mutually advantageous economic  growth via  free trade agreements.....which is normally practised....well by sensible countries anyway.
Political governance of individual states  can ONLY be democratically effected via a formal formation of a Federation of states.
Trade agreements and politics are chalk and cheese.....except in the EU of course.

You have no idea what I believe.  So don't make assumptions.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Stevlin

Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2020, 06:47:49 PM

Hardly surprising coming from someone who apparently believes that it is 'sensible practise' to subsidise an unnecessary political  political entity for many billions annually, (which has to be borrowed of course), in order to participate in so called 'free trade'.....
Sensible people would realise that it is much fairer, (even ignoring the dreadful undemocratic element associated with the EU), and far more sensible to promote mutually advantageous economic  growth via  free trade agreements.....which is normally practised....well by sensible countries anyway.
Political governance of individual states  can ONLY be democratically effected via a formal formation of a Federation of states.
Trade agreements and politics are chalk and cheese.....except in the EU of course.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on June 25, 2020, 06:47:04 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 06:17:18 PM
Quote from: Javert on June 25, 2020, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 04:29:53 PMStill not given up the fight? Will the Remain lobby go so far as to attempt to sabotage the country's brexit efforts? Somehow
I wouldn't be at all surprised.

If you mean would I consider in future voting for a party that would rejoin the EU, then yes.  That's how democracy works it is not set in stone forever.

However as I've posted a few weeks back, my thinking now is that Brexit should go ahead with a full no deal Brexit, since this is what the people voted for and they are clearly determined to get it at all costs.

I haven't changed my view that Brexit will be disastrous in the short, medium, and long terms for the UK, for England, and for many of the people who want it so badly.  However, this is what they voted for and this is what they should get.

I also haven't changed my view that any sane and rational government would delay Brexit by at least the same amount of time that has been tied up in dealing with the Covid-19 crisis - this is common sense that if an unforseen event comes up that delays your planning actions, you need to delay your "go live" date.  However again, on the grounds that majority electorate the people of the UK have abandoned common sense in this matter, it should go ahead asap - in fact, why even wait till December why not unilaterally declare we have fully left immediately - why do we need until December 31st?

The important thing for me is not to stop Brexit, but to make sure that nobody can ever accuse me of agreeing that it was a good decision - the people who promoted and voted for it have to own it.

Of course you can change the future, the fact that that is what is recognised as democracy and has been so blatantly dishonoured, is what has so incensed those of us who won the vote not once but several times. My only hope  is that you are made to wait as long as I was and the country has a chance to fully recognise the benefits, rather than angry losers rejoin in a fit of pique.

Ahhhh.  So if in 5 years from now, the people voted in a party that wanted to rejoin the EU, the result wouldn't be legitimate because the people who voted remain in 2016 shouldn't have their vote counted perhaps?

That may not be what you think, but from some of the stuff I see on Twitter and even a few posts here, there are plenty of people around who think that anyone who voted remain in 2016 and has not already changed their mind by now, shouldn't be a UK citizen and should be locked up or whatever.

That's ridiculous and just keyboard talk. We do need everyone to pull together though and it sometimes looks as failure would welcomed as a chance to say we told you say. It's not healthy for the future so my hope is that we all knuckle down. The whole world is in the same boat with C19 and we might as well get on with it.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 06:45:21 PM

Patience dear boy, patience!

Javert

Quote from: T00ts on June 25, 2020, 04:29:53 PMStill not given up the fight? Will the Remain lobby go so far as to attempt to sabotage the country's brexit efforts? Somehow

If you mean would I consider in future voting for a party that would rejoin the EU, then yes.  That's how democracy works it is not set in stone forever.

However as I've posted a few weeks back, my thinking now is that Brexit should go ahead with a full no deal Brexit, since this is what the people voted for and they are clearly determined to get it at all costs.

I haven't changed my view that Brexit will be disastrous in the short, medium, and long terms for the UK, for England, and for many of the people who want it so badly.  However, this is what they voted for and this is what they should get.

I also haven't changed my view that any sane and rational government would delay Brexit by at least the same amount of time that has been tied up in dealing with the Covid-19 crisis - this is common sense that if an unforseen event comes up that delays your planning actions, you need to delay your "go live" date.  However again, on the grounds that majority electorate the people of the UK have abandoned common sense in this matter, it should go ahead asap - in fact, why even wait till December why not unilaterally declare we have fully left immediately - why do we need until December 31st?

The important thing for me is not to stop Brexit, but to make sure that nobody can ever accuse me of agreeing that it was a good decision - the people who promoted and voted for it have to own it.

Of course you can change the future, the fact that that is what is recognised as democracy and has been so blatantly dishonoured, is what has so incensed those of us who won the vote not once but several times. My only hope  is that you are made to wait as long as I was and the country has a chance to fully recognise the benefits, rather than angry losers rejoin in a fit of pique.

Ahhhh.  So if in 5 years from now, the people voted in a party that wanted to rejoin the EU, the result wouldn't be legitimate because the people who voted remain in 2016 shouldn't have their vote counted perhaps?

That may not be what you think, but from some of the stuff I see on Twitter and even a few posts here, there are plenty of people around who think that anyone who voted remain in 2016 and has not already changed their mind by now, shouldn't be a UK citizen and should be locked up or whatever.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2020, 06:35:41 PM
My only hope  is that you are made to wait as long as I was and the country has a chance to fully recognise the benefits, rather than angry losers rejoin in a fit of pique.

What benefits? (Not a trick question.)

Patience dear boy, patience!

papasmurf

My only hope  is that you are made to wait as long as I was and the country has a chance to fully recognise the benefits, rather than angry losers rejoin in a fit of pique.

What benefits? (Not a trick question.)

T00ts

papasmurf

Quite, they can own it but we will all be suffering because of it.

Javert

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 25, 2020, 05:23:05 PM

He may be a chancer papa but he won when he chanced on being a brexiteer .

If you get to the top of the tree based on bullshine it may end badly.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on June 25, 2020, 04:59:14 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on June 25, 2020, 04:38:25 PM

Well it would never have crossed my mind because I was campaigning to leave the EU long  before Johnson had decided which camp he was going to be in . Johnson didn't make Brexit happen ,he just took the chance that it would giving him the chance at PM

Bojo The Clown is a chancer and we are all going to have to suffer because of that.

He may be a chancer papa but he won when he chanced on being a brexiteer . 

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on June 25, 2020, 04:38:25 PM

Well it would never have crossed my mind because I was campaigning to leave the EU long  before Johnson had decided which camp he was going to be in . Johnson didn't make Brexit happen ,he just took the chance that it would giving him the chance at PM

Bojo The Clown is a chancer and we are all going to have to suffer because of that.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Javert on June 25, 2020, 04:06:16 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on June 25, 2020, 09:29:54 AMYou dont need to be religious to know how we ended up BJ .Regardless of whether anyone thinks he is a clown ,that he might turn out to be totally useless or that he has been caught with his pants down on many occasions .

The fact remains is that he was the only person that had any chance of becoming PM that backed Brexit . And that is the sole reason he is where he is . He will only have fooled us if he doesn't complete that task .

^^^

This is the logic we have today.  BJ might be the worst most incompetent person in history and be wrong about everything, but we just need him to carry out Brexit.

It would never cross anybody's mind that someone that incompetent and wrong being the person who actually made Brexit happen in the first place, might lead you to wonder whether it was such a good idea after all.