General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: Tbird on August 22, 2020, 04:37:24 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 01:19:59 PM
An Anglosphere trade agreement makes sense much more so than our past membership of the EU . We have a common language , common law and similar cultures .  But really the main issue is we will be making any deals for us without having to consider Bulgarian Chicken farms or Mercedes Benz.
Obviously if the septics started playing hardball we will give them a swerve , not a problem .
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1324975/brexit-news-david-frost-trade-deal-usa-canada-ireland-eu-anglophone-alliance

EU with UK was just merely ahead of US in terms of annual GDP (£14.8trillion vs £14.6trillion), and the departure of UK will drag £3trillion out of EU.....

Now, with CAN-USA-UK will comes in at £20.7trillion. Adding the £2rillion+ from ANZ (I am an Aussie, don't count us out, okay?), the economic bloc of the five eyes would be nearly twice the size of EU ( £23trillion vs £11.8trillion) ........

Oh, did I mentioned the EU (or in fact, most of the world) is no match to the vast resource/land mass from Australia, Canada and US combined.

An alliance of the five eyes is freaking self-sufficient alliance with the biggest money, technology, population and global footprint. Beat that!

Well that article came in right on que .  We used to call it the Commonwealth of course until Ted Heath sold our soul to the Devil but its not something we cant fix . With trade tensions  with China  rising Australia will be looking for more friendly markets . I for one will be delighted if  our governments make it happen

Sheepy

QuoteI wouldnt take any notice baffy. 18 half weeks to go and the hard brexit jitters are starting to bite covid weary remainers.
I wouldn't bet on it, the neo Liberals and woke crew are obsessed with the latest drama.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Tbird

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 01:19:59 PM
An Anglosphere trade agreement makes sense much more so than our past membership of the EU . We have a common language , common law and similar cultures .  But really the main issue is we will be making any deals for us without having to consider Bulgarian Chicken farms or Mercedes Benz.
Obviously if the septics started playing hardball we will give them a swerve , not a problem .
https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1324975/brexit-news-david-frost-trade-deal-usa-canada-ireland-eu-anglophone-alliance

EU with UK was just merely ahead of US in terms of annual GDP (£14.8trillion vs £14.6trillion), and the departure of UK will drag £3trillion out of EU.....

Now, with CAN-USA-UK will comes in at £20.7trillion. Adding the £2rillion+ from ANZ (I am an Aussie, don't count us out, okay?), the economic bloc of the five eyes would be nearly twice the size of EU ( £23trillion vs £11.8trillion) ........

Oh, did I mentioned the EU (or in fact, most of the world) is no match to the vast resource/land mass from Australia, Canada and US combined.

An alliance of the five eyes is freaking self-sufficient alliance with the biggest money, technology, population and global footprint. Beat that!

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on August 22, 2020, 03:22:10 PM
Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2020, 01:43:30 PM
The UK produces less than 50% of its own food. That doesn't mean there's going to be famine come 2021, but it does promise a hike in prices of food from the EU as different customs inspections and transport rules come into play...

Food prices are set to drop as tariff and regulatory barriers against non EU food is removed.
EU food is very expensive. That is why they use external tariff and regulatory barriers to keep their competition off the supermarket shelves.

Well i remember reading articles like this

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-eu-raise-prices

Where remain claimed the average uk citizen saved £450 a year because being a member of the eu drives downthe cost of goods and services , while brexiters claimed leaving the CAP policy would save the average uk household £360 alone.

the article ends like this...

QuoteWhile a number of economists think prices would rise after Brexit, it's hard to see how any of the various figures quoted by Britain Stronger in Europe on potential price rises can be definitive.

That £450-a-year number seems particularly shaky. It's a claim about the EU based on research that does not even come from the continent of Europe.

A lot of the figures constantly bandied about for the last four years or more do seem extremely shaky and nothing more than scaremongering , however , from what many on these forums told me , if prices did rise by a modest amount , it was a price worth paying to get out of the EU.

I wouldnt take any notice baffy. 18 half weeks to go and the hard brexit jitters are starting to bite covid weary remainers.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

The UK produces less than 50% of its own food. That doesn't mean there's going to be famine come 2021,

I wouldn't guarantee that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: Baff on August 22, 2020, 03:22:10 PMFood prices are set to drop as tariff and regulatory barriers against non EU food is removed.
EU food is very expensive. That is why they use external tariff and regulatory barriers to keep their competition off the supermarket shelves.
EU food is not expensive. Prices even vary from EU country to EU country. Do you honestly reckon that non-EU food that UK customers want is going to be transported from around the rest of the world in sufficient quantities to keep UK food prices at their currently low level?
And do you reckon that the UK government (of any persuasion) is going to let the chance of raising a bit of extra money from import duties to pay off some of the record £2tr UK borrowings...?
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

The UK produces less than 50% of its own food. That doesn't mean there's going to be famine come 2021, but it does promise a hike in prices of food from the EU as different customs inspections and transport rules come into play...

Food prices are set to drop as tariff and regulatory barriers against non EU food is removed.

Thomas

The uk hasnt been self sufficient in food for hundreds of years , long before it joined the eu. It managed to survive. UK self sufficiency in food has been falling steadily since 1990 , the last twenty years of european membership.

You just seem to be parroting the same old stuff that has been getting said now for four years or more , it will cost the consumer to leave the eu , and what have you been told over that time by the voting public in one referendum ,and four elections?

The public in england said ok , lets brexit.

They say doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is the sign of madness.

less than 19 weeks to go.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on August 22, 2020, 12:58:09 PM

Yea the Celine can carry 580 trucks, the largest Brittany ferry carries 118,

That is because of the mixed use of most Brittany ferries, (Trucks can't use several of the decks.) A dedicated to freight RORO would carry more trucks anyway size for size.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on August 22, 2020, 12:35:01 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 11:33:43 AM
The EU may be the largest trading bloc for now but that will diminish when the UK finally ups sticks . (Just thinking aloud here ) Any sort of arrangement between the UK/USA/Canada  an Anglosphere alliance will see  the EU toppled from its false illusion of greatness .

Ireland would see itself on the western fringe of the union and  with a no deal brexit might just see joining its English speaking pals as a future worth considering .

I remember during the referendum cartoons showing the UK being towed into the mid Atlantic ,nearer the Americas and further away from Europe . Maybe thats where we will end up .
The UK has left and the EU is still the largest trading block, for accuracy the USA is the largest single market then followed by the EU, then China.

What makes you think there would be such a trading block setup, the USA has a trade deal with Canada and it will get one with the UK. It has shown under Trump that it's all about the USA and any trade partners are there for exploiting, why anyone in the UK thinks the USA are their friend is beyond me.
When was it Trump introduces tariffs targeted directly at Scotch whiskey, 2019. Does the UK share more in common with Europe or America ? standards/animal welfare/genetically modified foods/chlorinated chicken/angel dust fed beef,  We'll see how trade talks go with USA and China, but I very much doubt there will be a trading block as you suggest.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on August 22, 2020, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: Baff on August 20, 2020, 11:25:25 PMThis is a nightmare for the Irish.

Possibly, but Ireland saw this coming and back in 2016 commissioned additional freight ships, two the MV Celine and MV Delphine, their now both in operation and the MV Celine is the largest short sea RoRo ship in the world, the Delphine isn't much smaller.
There's a lot of other freight sea routes/ships opened up also. Now Ireland has moved from shipping 80% of exports through the UK to having the capacity to ship 80% direct to the main land.
Good less goods traffic our roads are a disgrace, I think we told you all along we weren't panicking although you spent most of your life telling us we should.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2020, 12:26:29 PM

Possibly, but Ireland saw this coming and back in 2016 commissioned additional freight ships, two the MV Celine and MV Delphine, their now both in operation and the MV Celine is the largest short sea RoRo ship in the world, the Delphine isn't much smaller.
There's a lot of other freight sea routes/ships opened up also. Now Ireland has moved from shipping 80% of exports through the UK to having the capacity to ship 80% direct to the main land.

They are big ROROs, twice as big as anything Brittany Ferries currently has. Have you any idea why they are registered in Malta?
Yea the Celine can carry 580 trucks, the largest Brittany ferry carries 118, also existing ferries can be easily rerouted to a French, Belgian, Dutch, Spanish port.
I've no idea about the registration, no doubt there's a business reason but their not Irish Ships Luxembourg owned.

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 11:33:43 AM
The EU may be the largest trading bloc for now but that will diminish when the UK finally ups sticks . (Just thinking aloud here ) Any sort of arrangement between the UK/USA/Canada  an Anglosphere alliance will see  the EU toppled from its false illusion of greatness .

Ireland would see itself on the western fringe of the union and  with a no deal brexit might just see joining its English speaking pals as a future worth considering .

I remember during the referendum cartoons showing the UK being towed into the mid Atlantic ,nearer the Americas and further away from Europe . Maybe thats where we will end up .
The UK has left and the EU is still the largest trading block, for accuracy the USA is the largest single market then followed by the EU, then China.

What makes you think there would be such a trading block setup, the USA has a trade deal with Canada and it will get one with the UK. It has shown under Trump that it's all about the USA and any trade partners are there for exploiting, why anyone in the UK thinks the USA are their friend is beyond me.
When was it Trump introduces tariffs targeted directly at Scotch whiskey, 2019. Does the UK share more in common with Europe or America ? standards/animal welfare/genetically modified foods/chlorinated chicken/angel dust fed beef,  We'll see how trade talks go with USA and China, but I very much doubt there will be a trading block as you suggest.

papasmurf

They are big ROROs, twice as big as anything Brittany Ferries currently has. Have you any idea why they are registered in Malta?