General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 09:10:24 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 09:02:48 AM

Not at all . Maybe you are confusing the UK with Belgium

I have to assume your knowledge on the subject of Britain plundering foreign nations is non-existent.
The Industrial Revolution in Britain was based on the exploitation and plundering of The British Empire and slavery.

No it wasn't , it was based on invention , steam engines , transportation and the bloody hard work of Britons in coal mines and foundries .

The exploitation of workers was an issue as was child labour . The rich then as now ran the show and got away with what for that era in time was deemed acceptable .  They built up a Trade empire around the globe and dragged many nations into what then was the modern world .

papasmurf

I have to assume your knowledge on the subject of Britain plundering foreign nations is non-existent.
The Industrial Revolution in Britain was based on the exploitation and plundering of The British Empire and slavery.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

wouldnt waste your time mate debating with empty one line throw away comments.

Whatever the good and evil of the british empire, and we have debated this topic many times over the years , it will have little to no bearing on what happens going forward. Countires will do what is in theri best interests , simple as that.

.....but whatever happens , brexit is the will of the people , and it is happeneing much to the squealing remainers bleats.

Smurf was a big supporter of ending freedom of movement on our old forum , now he is opposing brexit simply to oppose the tories. opposition for opposition sake. ::)

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on August 22, 2020, 11:19:38 PM
Depends what you buy.
If you buy EU food I expect prices to rise taken in aggregate.

If you buy non EU food I expect it to fall taken in aggregate.

For the most part supermarket buyers will be the ones talking these decisions.
So produce on the shelves will tend further towards non EU produce.

I wouldnt worry about it baffy. The public have spoken at the ballot box 5 times since 2015 , and the overwhelming result has been yes to brexit , and yes to parties supporting brexit.

We have had project fear mark 1 , and 2 , now we are onto project fear mark 3.

Expect it to ramp back up over the coming weeks. Smile and wave , but carry on regardless.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2020, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 05:53:33 PM

The UK didn't plunder Commonwealth countries

I have to assume you are joking.

Baff

Depends what you buy.
If you buy EU food I expect prices to rise taken in aggregate.

If you buy non EU food I expect it to fall taken in aggregate.

For the most part supermarket buyers will be the ones talking these decisions.
So produce on the shelves will tend further towards non EU produce.

Thomas

;D

https://daystobrexit.co.uk/

QuoteBrexit Countdown
Counting down to the end of the Transition Period

31st December 2020

Quote131 days 3 hours and 45 minutes

Shouldnt barry be doing this? :D

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2020, 06:36:50 PM

Who's arguing that point except for you? Certainly not me.

You are. You were insinuating the uk would stuggle to survive an alleged price rise in food because of brexit...

Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2020, 01:43:30 PM
The UK produces less than 50% of its own food. That doesn't mean there's going to be famine come 2021, but it does promise a hike in prices of food from the EU as different customs inspections and transport rules come into play...

But "easily" only if you want just survival on potatoes and wheat, good luck.

hardly. ...and you tell me im exaggerating? At its worst case scenario , the weekly food shop was estimated to rise by about £13. 

....but you carry on with the amateur dramatics over food shortages. After all scaremongering has worked well for you remainers these last four years or so. What is it , 5 nil to brexiters in terms of winning elections and referendums?

QuoteI still maintain the phrase "hundreds of years" was used to imply many centuries, not just since 1820...

:D

i just bought eight legs of venison for forty quid patbox.

Do you hink thats two deer?

patman post

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2020, 05:58:26 PMEngland or the wider uk if it survives could easily survive a hard brexit in terms of food security. just as i pointed out it survived hundreds of years without being a member of the eu.
Who's arguing that point except for you? Certainly not me. But "easily" only if you want just survival on potatoes and wheat, good luck. I bet the bulk of the population would complain. Getting them to work the land and cultivate their back gardens in a modern "Dig for Victory" is unlikely to get support when they recall what supermarkets previously offered.
I still maintain the phrase "hundreds of years" was used to imply many centuries, not just since 1820...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2020, 06:07:42 PM

Do you actually have anything to contribute to this debate apart from empty one liners trying to draw attention to yourself?

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2020, 05:16:00 PM

Hundreds of years is a gross exaggeration.

QuoteVarious commenters invoked the lessons of history in support of James's assertion, correctly pointing out that Britain hasn't been self-sufficient in food for two centuries.

https://www.resilience.org/stories/2020-02-12/what-if-we-only-ate-food-from-local-farms/

How is it a gross exaggeration?

Every article and history book i have read points to the uk being last self sufficient in food back in the mid 18th to early 19th century. do the maths patbox.

Even then , before and after , food self sufficiency has yo yo`d up and down over the centuries due to many reasons such as poor farming techniques  , pests bad weather etc etc . As i understand it , from being 100% self sufficient in food gradualy continued to fall till the 1950`s ,which was its lowest level in the uk before rising again in percentage terms till 1990. For the last twenty years of european membership , it has been gradually falling. So what are you talking about?

England or the wider uk if it survives could easily survive a hard brexit in terms of food security. just as i pointed out it survived hundreds of years without being a member of the eu.

QuoteBut it had the Empire and, later, the British Commonwealth to plunder, and lock into advantageous (for Britain) trade agreements under which it bought produce below world rates and sold (often inappropriate) British made goods into captive markets.
Do you really think those countries are willing to repeat the exercise?

agreed , but who is arguing this except you?

As i understand it from brexiters point of view , they are saying trade liberalisation , not eu membership , is what has brought food prices down , and brexiters are saying this is what they want to do. They want free trade without the over the top attachments of paying large sums of money into an organistation like the eu. If they cant get it , then they are prepared to carry on regardless.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2020, 02:01:34 PMThe uk hasnt been self sufficient in food for hundreds of years , long before it joined the eu. It managed to survive. UK self sufficiency in food has been falling steadily since 1990 , the last twenty years of european membership.
Hundreds of years is a gross exaggeration. But it had the Empire and, later, the British Commonwealth to plunder, and lock into advantageous (for Britain) trade agreements under which it bought produce below world rates and sold (often inappropriate) British made goods into captive markets.
Mind you, dealing with the millions of tons of food wasted in the UK would be a positive act...

The UK didn't plunder Commonwealth countries they had trade agreements that in many cases included protection and a free pass into the UK  .

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2020, 02:01:34 PMThe uk hasnt been self sufficient in food for hundreds of years , long before it joined the eu. It managed to survive. UK self sufficiency in food has been falling steadily since 1990 , the last twenty years of european membership.
Hundreds of years is a gross exaggeration. But it had the Empire and, later, the British Commonwealth to plunder, and lock into advantageous (for Britain) trade agreements under which it bought produce below world rates and sold (often inappropriate) British made goods into captive markets.
Mind you, dealing with the millions of tons of food wasted in the UK would be a positive act...
Mind you, we are not invading anywhere or forcing anything on anyone, so you can put your worries aside. But nice try slippery.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...