General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on August 23, 2020, 10:48:38 AMLOL no you have discussed it, the rest of us just find it amusing that you think you have a crystal ball which pumps out doom and gloom for a political goal.
You disagree then, I say the UK has had a financial impact regarding brexit, even though the UK has technically left it is still a member, next yr it will really hit. The hit to date is estimated at £130b.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 01:30:59 PM

Ok you pair of muppets what Commonwealth countries has the UK Plundered ?

Most of them. (I really feel you are taking the mickey.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 01:22:14 PM
Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 01:16:52 PM

Now that's funny. and you possibly believe it.

It is hilarious.

Ok you pair of muppets what Commonwealth countries has the UK Plundered ?   

papasmurf

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 05:53:33 PMThe UK didn't plunder Commonwealth countries they had trade agreements that in many cases included protection and a free pass into the UK  .
Now that's funny. and you possibly believe it.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 11:28:49 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 01:19:59 PMAn Anglosphere trade agreement makes sense much more so than our past membership of the EU . We have a common language , common law and similar cultures .  But really the main issue is we will be making any deals for us without having to consider Bulgarian Chicken farms or Mercedes Benz.
Obviously if the septics started playing hardball we will give them a swerve , not a problem .

The USA and Canada had a trade deal NAFTA, then came Trump and he decided it didn't favour the USA, so he basically told the others he would introduce tariffs if the deal wasn't reviewed. SO now the USA/Canada and Mexico have agreed a new deal USMCA, which has greatly moved the benefits of the trade relationship in favour of the USA.

I may be wrong but you give the impression that you would see a trade deal between Canada/USA and UK as mutually beneficial. That's not how trade works, it's more like a war, you want to get as much as you can while giving away the least. You need skilled negotiators and most of all the larger domestic market. That gives you the upper hand in the talks.
The septics as you put is is everyone that's not the UK on the planet, when it comes to trade deals nobody is going to do you a favour.

I see it as beneficial because as I have said we have a  basis of common law to work from unlike the EU which makes it up as it goes along and has to have courts  to arbitrate . We all know where we stand from day one , its one of the reasons the City of London is a popular base for foreign business , they know they are not going to be had over .
USA has free trade agreements with nations across the globe with many in the pipeline UK post brexit being one .

I dont see any problem with Canada and trade seeing as the Queen owns most of it  ;)

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 10:07:26 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 10:04:01 AM

You have your history arse upward Papa . The raw materials that drove the industrial revolution were dug from the Hills of this green a pleasant land

Whether you like it or not the imported raw materials which enabled to factories to produce their product were the product of slave labour.  All the steam power did was power  the factory machinery.
But then without it, you wouldn't be ordering a new bike from ~Japan or getting it shipped in a very short time, you wouldn't live in a world that had that choice, but hey ho, whatever.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 01:19:59 PMAn Anglosphere trade agreement makes sense much more so than our past membership of the EU . We have a common language , common law and similar cultures .  But really the main issue is we will be making any deals for us without having to consider Bulgarian Chicken farms or Mercedes Benz.
Obviously if the septics started playing hardball we will give them a swerve , not a problem .

The USA and Canada had a trade deal NAFTA, then came Trump and he decided it didn't favour the USA, so he basically told the others he would introduce tariffs if the deal wasn't reviewed. SO now the USA/Canada and Mexico have agreed a new deal USMCA, which has greatly moved the benefits of the trade relationship in favour of the USA.

I may be wrong but you give the impression that you would see a trade deal between Canada/USA and UK as mutually beneficial. That's not how trade works, it's more like a war, you want to get as much as you can while giving away the least. You need skilled negotiators and most of all the larger domestic market. That gives you the upper hand in the talks.
The septics as you put is is everyone that's not the UK on the planet, when it comes to trade deals nobody is going to do you a favour.

Sheepy

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 09:39:21 AM
Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 09:10:24 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 09:02:48 AM

Not at all . Maybe you are confusing the UK with Belgium

I have to assume your knowledge on the subject of Britain plundering foreign nations is non-existent.
The Industrial Revolution in Britain was based on the exploitation and plundering of The British Empire and slavery.

No it wasn't , it was based on invention , steam engines , transportation and the bloody hard work of Britons in coal mines and foundries .

The exploitation of workers was an issue as was child labour . The rich then as now ran the show and got away with what for that era in time was deemed acceptable .  They built up a Trade empire around the globe and dragged many nations into what then was the modern world .
That sort of reminds of Reginald Perrin, capitalism is the exploitation of the many for the few, whether it be by psychology or by exploitation of Labour which is usually driven by psychology anyway, it needs to be based on greed as a driving force, the wanting of more, then the keeping of it all. Without a doubt over the last few decades it has run out of control. I didn't get where I am today CJ! It gives me a smile, that all those trying to get here is because we are all rich, they have a rude awakening coming, which usually ends up in violence of one kind or another.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 10:07:26 AM

You have your history arse upward Papa . The raw materials that drove the industrial revolution were dug from the Hills of this green a pleasant land

Whether you like it or not the imported raw materials which enabled to factories to produce their product were the product of slave labour.  All the steam power did was power  the factory machinery.

As I say papa you are confused . My objection was to Posty's post which stated that the UK plundered Commonwealth countries and you have started going on about the British empire and slavery . Nobody as far as I know would disagree that slavery played a part in the industrial revolution but it had nothing to do with the Commonwealth of nations  ,unless of course you think we won the War of American independence or continued the practice after 1926 .

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 10:38:26 AM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 22, 2020, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: GerryT on August 22, 2020, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: Baff on August 20, 2020, 11:25:25 PMThis is a nightmare for the Irish.

Possibly, but Ireland saw this coming and back in 2016 commissioned additional freight ships, two the MV Celine and MV Delphine, their now both in operation and the MV Celine is the largest short sea RoRo ship in the world, the Delphine isn't much smaller.
There's a lot of other freight sea routes/ships opened up also. Now Ireland has moved from shipping 80% of exports through the UK to having the capacity to ship 80% direct to the main land.
Good less goods traffic our roads are a disgrace, I think we told you all along we weren't panicking although you spent most of your life telling us we should.

Panic? your words not mine. We've discussed there will be a heavy financial hit with Brexit which will impact ordinary people in the UK and other countries, your not panicked. We've discussed there will be many decades of unrest as the UK finds it's new future, this uncertainty brings many risks, your not panicked. The UK is on the brink of breakup, NI is remaining in the SM and Scotland is looking for a second referendum, your not panicked.
Sounds more like you don't really care as opposed to panicking.
LOL no you have discussed it, the rest of us just find it amusing that you think you have a crystal ball which pumps out doom and gloom for a political goal.

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on August 22, 2020, 01:05:15 PM
Quote from: GerryT on August 22, 2020, 12:06:33 PM
Quote from: Baff on August 20, 2020, 11:25:25 PMThis is a nightmare for the Irish.

Possibly, but Ireland saw this coming and back in 2016 commissioned additional freight ships, two the MV Celine and MV Delphine, their now both in operation and the MV Celine is the largest short sea RoRo ship in the world, the Delphine isn't much smaller.
There's a lot of other freight sea routes/ships opened up also. Now Ireland has moved from shipping 80% of exports through the UK to having the capacity to ship 80% direct to the main land.
Good less goods traffic our roads are a disgrace, I think we told you all along we weren't panicking although you spent most of your life telling us we should.

Panic? your words not mine. We've discussed there will be a heavy financial hit with Brexit which will impact ordinary people in the UK and other countries, your not panicked. We've discussed there will be many decades of unrest as the UK finds it's new future, this uncertainty brings many risks, your not panicked. The UK is on the brink of breakup, NI is remaining in the SM and Scotland is looking for a second referendum, your not panicked.
Sounds more like you don't really care as opposed to panicking.

papasmurf

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 09:43:28 AM

No it wasn't , it was based on invention , steam engines , transportation and the bloody hard work of Britons in coal mines and foundries .

The raw  materials for the industrial revolution were plundered from the British Empire. That you are ignorant of that is frankly shocking.

papasmurf

The raw  materials for the industrial revolution were plundered from the British Empire. That you are ignorant of that is frankly shocking.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zc92xnb/revision/4

From 1750 onwards a new industry emerged in Britain - the production of cotton cloth. Wool production had previously been Britain's major industry, but cotton had one key advantage - machinery could process cotton fibres better than wool.

As a result it was in cotton production that the industrial revolution began, particularly in and around Manchester. The cotton used was mostly imported from slave plantations. Slavery provided the raw material for industrial change and growth.