General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 02:44:45 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 11:44:22 AMI see it as beneficial because as I have said we have a  basis of common law to work from unlike the EU which makes it up as it goes along and has to have courts  to arbitrate . We all know where we stand from day one , its one of the reasons the City of London is a popular base for foreign business , they know they are not going to be had over .
USA has free trade agreements with nations across the globe with many in the pipeline UK post brexit being one .
My God I think every point you made is backward, every single one.
First UK doesn't have written prescribed law, it's based on precedence and is constantly evolving and changing. Where as EU law is based on rules and is explicitly written out. SO the UK make it up as it goes along and the EU has written rules/laws. You don't even have a written constitution in the UK.
The city of London is popular beacuse it has access to the vast EU market, that's soon to change and so will the relevance of London over time. Johnson isn't helping as he's a total clown, the way the UK is seen on the global stage is very much diminished with how brexit has been progressing. This take back control mantra is worrying for London investors as the clown can so very easily change the laws/rules and affect their business.
I'm sure the USA are frothing at the mouth to get their claws into the UK in a trade deal. What makes you think Trump or his successor will do the UK any favours, you need to do the ABC of trade deals to understand, but your not interested.

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 11:44:22 AMI dont see any problem with Canada and trade seeing as the Queen owns most of it 
More slippery talk, basically the queen own's nothing in Canada, as queen of Canada (separate to queen of England) she holds title but can't sell anything for her own gain. The land belongs to the people of Canada. Another way of looking at it is the Queen of Canada owns England.

You maybe missed the smiley face with regard to the country of my birth ?

You are misreading what I wrote , I have never said the UK has a written law I said the Anglosphere has a basis of common law (unlike the civil /Napoleonic courts of Europe ) or a strong commitment to the rule of law if you prefer .

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 03:10:18 PM

Exactly correct. Funny how much of streetwalkers posts are about the great empire seen through rose tinted glasses and a longing to break free from the evil EU grip and get back to the good old days.

Perhaps he wants a Punkah Wallah and to go pig sticking and tiger shooting.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 02:56:16 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 02:53:10 PM

Well there you go . As Papa has 'liked' this post I assume he has read it and he now aware  of the difference between the Empire and the British Commonwealth

I am, but the commonwealth (an Oxymoron,) was historically part of the Empire, so you are using pedantry to cover up your ignorance.

Exactly correct. Funny how much of streetwalkers posts are about the great empire seen through rose tinted glasses and a longing to break free from the evil EU grip and get back to the good old days.

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 02:53:10 PMWell there you go . As Papa has 'liked' this post I assume he has read it and he now aware  of the difference between the Empire and the British Commonwealth that being just in case you missed it that the Empire were colonised countrys and the Commonwealth an alliance of free nations

Its not slippery either far from it .  Its telling maybe that all but maybe one  of the former Nations of the Empire  choose to belong to the Commonwealth on gaining independence . Maybe our 'plundering ' during the years of the Empire were not as bad as some think
Well Ireland was a member of the common wealth during it's fight for independence. Even after the UK tried to hold onto power and the Irish declared it was no longer a commonwealth member. It wasn't until 1949 when the UK gave up this charade.
Take it from me being an invaded country under british rule was no picnic, I think it was far far worse than some think.
Commonwealth countries are independent nations, they will strike trade deals that suit themselves, do you think their delighted with the idea of going back to the good old days.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 01:44:45 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 23, 2020, 10:48:38 AMLOL no you have discussed it, the rest of us just find it amusing that you think you have a crystal ball which pumps out doom and gloom for a political goal.
You disagree then, I say the UK has had a financial impact regarding brexit, even though the UK has technically left it is still a member, next yr it will really hit. The hit to date is estimated at £130b.

No it won't.

A while back you were telling all and sundry that the Micks would close down the pork pie mines and bring the UK to its knees.

That has not happened. What has happened is that the UK has raised mega bucks to permit millions of Brits to sit at home rather than risk catching the Peking Pox. Come 1 January 2021 the media will find something to make a fuss about, but in reality the government will simply float a few more loans to cover the rough patches.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 02:53:10 PM

Well there you go . As Papa has 'liked' this post I assume he has read it and he now aware  of the difference between the Empire and the British Commonwealth

I am, but the commonwealth (an Oxymoron,) was historically part of the Empire, so you are using pedantry to cover up your ignorance.

Streetwalker

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 02:24:56 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 11:15:27 AMAs I say papa you are confused . My objection was to Posty's post which stated that the UK plundered Commonwealth countries and you have started going on about the British empire and slavery . Nobody as far as I know would disagree that slavery played a part in the industrial revolution but it had nothing to do with the Commonwealth of nations  ,unless of course you think we won the War of American independence or continued the practice after 1926 .
The british empire plundered its way around the world enslaving nations and raping resources. As the empire began to crumble and these countries fought for freedom the british reluctantly had to relinquish control, the commonwealth was a union between the UK and these former colonies, so yes your correct the british didn't plunder the "commonwealth countries" but it most certainly did plunder the countries in the commonwealth. How you see a difference I don't know. Very slippery indeed.

Well there you go . As Papa has 'liked' this post I assume he has read it and he now aware  of the difference between the Empire and the British Commonwealth that being just in case you missed it that the Empire were colonised countrys and the Commonwealth an alliance of free nations

Its not slippery either far from it .  Its telling maybe that all but maybe one  of the former Nations of the Empire  choose to belong to the Commonwealth on gaining independence . Maybe our 'plundering ' during the years of the Empire were not as bad as some think

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 11:44:22 AMI see it as beneficial because as I have said we have a  basis of common law to work from unlike the EU which makes it up as it goes along and has to have courts  to arbitrate . We all know where we stand from day one , its one of the reasons the City of London is a popular base for foreign business , they know they are not going to be had over .
USA has free trade agreements with nations across the globe with many in the pipeline UK post brexit being one .
My God I think every point you made is backward, every single one.
First UK doesn't have written prescribed law, it's based on precedence and is constantly evolving and changing. Where as EU law is based on rules and is explicitly written out. SO the UK make it up as it goes along and the EU has written rules/laws. You don't even have a written constitution in the UK.
The city of London is popular beacuse it has access to the vast EU market, that's soon to change and so will the relevance of London over time. Johnson isn't helping as he's a total clown, the way the UK is seen on the global stage is very much diminished with how brexit has been progressing. This take back control mantra is worrying for London investors as the clown can so very easily change the laws/rules and affect their business.
I'm sure the USA are frothing at the mouth to get their claws into the UK in a trade deal. What makes you think Trump or his successor will do the UK any favours, you need to do the ABC of trade deals to understand, but your not interested.

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 11:44:22 AMI dont see any problem with Canada and trade seeing as the Queen owns most of it 
More slippery talk, basically the queen own's nothing in Canada, as queen of Canada (separate to queen of England) she holds title but can't sell anything for her own gain. The land belongs to the people of Canada. Another way of looking at it is the Queen of Canada owns England.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 02:36:32 PM

Im fully aware of Englands past and indeed the Commonwealth . You obviously are not

You have shown zero knowledge about it thus far.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 01:57:14 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 01:50:05 PM

Not good enough , examples please .

Frankly that you don't know is shameful. (Seriously.) I can't believe anyone is that ignorant of England's past. Frankly you are trolling.

Im fully aware of Englands past and indeed the Commonwealth . You obviously are not

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on August 23, 2020, 01:44:45 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 23, 2020, 10:48:38 AMLOL no you have discussed it, the rest of us just find it amusing that you think you have a crystal ball which pumps out doom and gloom for a political goal.
You disagree then, I say the UK has had a financial impact regarding brexit, even though the UK has technically left it is still a member, next yr it will really hit. The hit to date is estimated at £130b.
comedy gold as usual.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 11:15:27 AMAs I say papa you are confused . My objection was to Posty's post which stated that the UK plundered Commonwealth countries and you have started going on about the British empire and slavery . Nobody as far as I know would disagree that slavery played a part in the industrial revolution but it had nothing to do with the Commonwealth of nations  ,unless of course you think we won the War of American independence or continued the practice after 1926 .
The british empire plundered its way around the world enslaving nations and raping resources. As the empire began to crumble and these countries fought for freedom the british reluctantly had to relinquish control, the commonwealth was a union between the UK and these former colonies, so yes your correct the british didn't plunder the "commonwealth countries" but it most certainly did plunder the countries in the commonwealth. How you see a difference I don't know. Very slippery indeed.

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 01:50:05 PM

Frankly that you don't know is shameful. (Seriously.) I can't believe anyone is that ignorant of England's past. Frankly you are trolling.

Streetwalker

Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 01:37:56 PM
papasmurf
What say ye: +21/-14

Re: General Brexit discussion thread
« Reply #736 on: Today at 01:37:56 pm »
Say ThanksQuote (
Quote from: papasmurf on August 23, 2020, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 23, 2020, 01:30:59 PM

Ok you pair of muppets what Commonwealth countries has the UK Plundered ?

Most of them. (I really feel you are taking the mickey.)