General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: cromwell on October 12, 2020, 10:02:29 PM
You had to read the Sun twice?try just looking at the pictures it'll be easier on your brain. :P :P

That has to be the mildest insult I've ever received. I almost feel I should thank you for being so considerate of my feelings.
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

cromwell

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 12, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
By the way, I looked through the paper twice this morning but there was no news of more banks relocating to Dublin from the UK. What's going on? The deal was that we would give you our Traveller Community in return for your merchant banks. We've kept our part of the bargain. Send more banks immediately.
You had to read the Sun twice?try just looking at the pictures it'll be easier on your brain. :P :P
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

On the Brightside, BLM just want to throw them all in the river or some other nasty end for them.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Baff

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 12, 2020, 07:57:15 PM
You're just economically illiterate. Any fool knows that rich people buy more things than poor people. Your ingenious plan is to stop selling to the rich EU in order to focus on selling to second and third world countries. It doesn't matter that there are billions more poor people in the world than there are people in the EU - they still have no money.

Latest polls in the US indicate a Biden landslide, so don't depend too much on a deal with them. Just think, this time next year you could be a second-world country.

Yes, but most of the EU isn't rich.
Just a few of those countries are.

Just as I don't need everyone in the EU to be rich to find clients there, I don't need everyone in other places to be rich either.
Japan plus America = more rich people than the EU.
So the EU isn't the only game in town. There are more rich people in the rest of the world than in the EU. And like it or not, the rest of the world is where we do the bulk of our trade.
Not, in the EU.

I see no reason to stop selling anyone anything.
Quite the opposite.

The EU will raise tariffs against us.
Which would damage sales in the EU except for one critical reason.
Devaluation of the £ has been greater than their tariffs.

Our goods will be cheaper in the EU than they were before the referendum.
Plus their goods will be more expensive here.
Which addresses the trade deficit.
Win. Massive win.

Trade deal with America.
America isn't a complimentry economy either.
I don't want a free trade deal with them anymore than I want one with you. TTIP? No thanks.
I only and exclusively want free trade deals with non competing economies.

We can have some kind of trade deal between our economies.
On things that are complimentry. For example, tax free wine in exchange for tax free whisky.
These things don't compete. We don't make wine, the EU doesn't make whisky. Win win.
Trade deal please.

But in the case of America we have always traded profitably without one.
I'm in no rush to make trade deals everywhere just so my politicians can feel good about themselves.

That is just an exercise in governments sticking their fingers in other peoples pies.
I'm not into bureacracy.
I'm not a fascist. I don't believe government control is the best solution to much.
"More EU" = sieg f**king heil.
That isn't economic literacy. It's some mad arsed political dream all dressed up like a pig with lipstick on.

Sheepy

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 12, 2020, 07:58:27 PM
By the way, I looked through the paper twice this morning but there was no news of more banks relocating to Dublin from the UK. What's going on? The deal was that we would give you our Traveller Community in return for your merchant banks. We've kept our part of the bargain. Send more banks immediately.
Funny old world ain't it, the Irish suddenly want the British aristocracy banking empires back after wanting rid of them for a few hundred years, hilarious, cor blimey we plebs and illiterates are howling with laughter.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Cor Blimey!

They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 12, 2020, 07:43:06 PM
Most of the EU is dirt poor too.

There is a difference between trade and free trade.
We will continue to trade with you.

But this trade will be taxed.
Which means we will do less of it in our expectation.

I appreciate that you would like us to look at the trade we do with Southern Ireland individually.
In isolation of the trade we do with the entire EU.
But since you are signed up to the EU single market and customs union we are unable to.
So, sorry, we have a massive trade deficit with you.

If you wish to be dealt with as an individual trade entity, you must become one.
And then, if you do, most assuredly we will do our level best to make a decent trade deal with you that advantages both of us.
A much better deal than we are able to offer you as part of the EU.

You're just economically illiterate. Any fool knows that rich people buy more things than poor people. Your ingenious plan is to stop selling to the rich EU in order to focus on selling to second and third world countries. It doesn't matter that there are billions more poor people in the world than there are people in the EU - they still have no money.

Latest polls in the US indicate a Biden landslide, so don't depend too much on a deal with them. Just think, this time next year you could be a second-world country.

Baff

I will never side with you against them.

Your fascist dream is over in this country.
Try your luck in Germany please.

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 12, 2020, 07:43:06 PM

I appreciate that you would like us to look at the trade we do with Southern Ireland individually.
But since you are signed up to the EU single market and customs union we are unable to.

If you wish to be dealt with as an individual trade entity, you must become one.
And then, if you do, most assuredly we will do our level best to make a decent trade deal with you that advantages both of us.

Where are ypu getting that nonsense from?

Baff

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 12, 2020, 05:46:27 PM
Most of the commonwealth is dirt poor. If the UK buys their product they may be able to scrabble together enough cash to get themselves a half-decent healthcare system; but there'd unlikely be any left over to purchase goods produced in the UK (at least not at First World prices). It will be very much a one-way street. That's not trade. Of course, you could always invest heavily in those countries, build up their infrastructure, etc., the way the EU did in Ireland. Then, after a LONG time and a LOT of money, they will be in a position to trade with you. In the very long run, you'll see a massive return on your investment - just as you do with the £13 billion trade surplus you currently have, but will soon lose, with Ireland.

papasmurf

Baff

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 12, 2020, 06:40:09 PM
Yeah! Baffled's plan might work if the average English person develops an appetite for eating bananas for breakfast, lunch, and dinner; and Nissan and Toyota vote only chimpanzees onto their board of directors.

Nissan have already reinvested here since the referendum.
They moved their EU production from Spain to the UK.
Making a monkey out of you.

Record investment here since we decided to leave the EU.
I'll say it again. Record investment.
I don't want your self serving economic advice for what is best for "me".
I place no value on it at all.

Breakfasts in the UK tend to be locally available produce.
Weetabix. English breakfast.
We don't need you for any of that. Sorry.

papasmurf

Quote from: Jaydee on October 12, 2020, 05:51:41 PM
The brick wall is up and being built higher.  But I am sure Big Kranky Bojo, will manage to get a deal on Lobsters with Christmas Island that will glow in the dark.

There are lobsters that glow in the dark in Britain. No need to import them. (They are however unfit for human consumption.)