General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 13, 2020, 01:31:11 PM
Ferry firms handed £77.6m post-Brexit contracts for transport of emergency supplies for six months next year:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54523758

2 hours ago
Four ferry firms have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

Brittany Ferries, DFDS, P&O Ferries and Stena Line will have the job of ensuring medical supplies and other vital goods continue to get to the UK.

The government says it wants a smooth flow of freight "whatever the outcome of negotiations with the EU",

The contracts will be in place for up to six months after the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December.

At least this time these ferry companies have vessels and actually operate on existing routes which seems a good start...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 13, 2020, 11:13:41 AM
It is the childish comments that are getting very boring.
Trouble is that here, in common with many topics and other political forums, predictions and wishful thinking and outright lies are too often presented as fact. No side of any argument seems immune and the result is loads of fiction, friction and wasteful rebuttal that tend to drown out any informative debate...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Ferry firms handed £77.6m post-Brexit contracts for transport of emergency supplies for six months next year:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54523758

2 hours ago
Four ferry firms have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

Brittany Ferries, DFDS, P&O Ferries and Stena Line will have the job of ensuring medical supplies and other vital goods continue to get to the UK.

The government says it wants a smooth flow of freight "whatever the outcome of negotiations with the EU",

The contracts will be in place for up to six months after the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

papasmurf

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 11:01:07 AM
Can we start sticking to the politics in hand rather than all the smart comments. It's a political forum, not the Jonathon Ross show.

It is the childish comments that are getting very boring.

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 13, 2020, 09:11:27 AM
I think you  are forgetting that the reason there is a £60 billion deficit, and it is actually £72 billion is because 80% of the UK economy is the service and Banking industry.  Which has nothing to do with trade.  Or to put it in its technical terms.  The UK is shite at trade.  That is why the likes of Germany do 4 times more trade with the likes of China.  Not to mention on a crash out the UK will have no schedule of concession  to trade  and will also lose passporting rights on 80% of its economy.  Or let me put it this way.  If Switzerland does not come to some sort of deal with the EU   It will lose its passporting rights.  That has been estimated that it will destroy 50% of the Swiss economy. I will leave you to work out the UK economy.  And make no mistake the EU will protect its members. But heh why let facts get in the road.

He is.  Its called building a brick wall, while failing to remove the rose tinted specs as it starts to fall.  Its called they need us more than we need them.  And you are just not going to get through. Even when facts are explained in big grown up writing.

Can we start sticking to the politics in hand rather than all the smart comments. It's a political forum, not the Jonathon Ross show.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 12:09:20 AM
😂

Rank   Country              Private Wealth in $USD (2018)   
#1   🇺🇸 United States   $60.7 trillion
#2   🇨🇳 China                   $23.6 trillion   
#3   🇯🇵 Japan                   $19.1 trillion
#4   🇬🇧 United Kingdom   $9.1 trillion
#5   🇩🇪 Germany           $8.8 trillion
#6   🇮🇳 India                   $8.1 trillion
#7   🇦🇺 Australia           $6.0 trillion
#8   🇨🇦 Canada                   $6.0 trillion

Richest countries by private wealth. Only 1 EU county in the top eight, and it's even below the U.K. Think you should try again with that one.

Ooh, look. 50% of the countries are in the dirt poor Commonwealth.
LOL
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Jaydee

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 12:37:22 AM
We sell 50% more outside of the EU than we do inside.
So you aren't our top trade priority.
And ever making you it, was a strategic error in economic planning.

What part of that 80% of the UK economy is the service and banking industry and has nothing to to do with trade. Do you fail to understand.  And so much for the absolute crap that the UK cannot do deals out with the EU. The EU, taken as a whole is the UK's largest trading partner. In 2019, UK exports to the EU were £300 billion (43% of all UK exports). UK imports from the EU were £372 billion (51% of all UK imports).  And  the UK had a surplus of £100 billion on trade in services in 2019 with the EU.  Which it will lose with passporting rights.  A double whammy.  But heh why let facts get in the road.  Its called shooting your self in the foot. For the world of me.  I just do not know what you are not grasping.

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 12, 2020, 11:18:14 PM
If the U.K. negotiates a free trade deal with the EU then using your analogy the EU must trade with all the WTO countries the same as well.
I think you losers keep forgetting that the rules are equal in both directions, except for one point. The U.K. has a 60 billion trade deficit with the EU, meaning if the EU want to play silly bastards they're going to get tariffs on an extra 60 billion.

I think you  are forgetting that the reason there is a £60 billion deficit, and it is actually £72 billion is because 80% of the UK economy is the service and Banking industry.  Which has nothing to do with trade.  Or to put it in its technical terms.  The UK is shite at trade.  That is why the likes of Germany do 4 times more trade with the likes of China.  Not to mention on a crash out the UK will have no schedule of concession  to trade  and will also lose passporting rights on 80% of its economy.  Or let me put it this way.  If Switzerland does not come to some sort of deal with the EU   It will lose its passporting rights.  That has been estimated that it will destroy 50% of the Swiss economy. I will leave you to work out the UK economy.  And make no mistake the EU will protect its members. But heh why let facts get in the road.

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 13, 2020, 12:54:49 AM
It's late and you're not making any sense. Good night.

He is.  Its called building a brick wall, while failing to remove the rose tinted specs as it starts to fall.  Its called they need us more than we need them.  And you are just not going to get through. Even when facts are explained in big grown up writing. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 13, 2020, 12:54:49 AM

Quite, he is making no sense at all.

Baff

Since you can't devalue your currency you can't compete with us.
We've dropped our prices.

You can't tariff us more while staying in the WTO and you can't devalue to match while staying in the Euro.

Nor can you cut your VAT as low as we can.
Or get as much investment as we do.

The idea that you are going to outcompete us is so unbelieveable to you, that you are currently trying to lock us into "a level playing field" the purpose of which is to prevent us from gaining any competative advantage over you.

But we said no.

You can't compete globally at all.
And you know it, and that's why you prefer to be safe behind all your trade barriers.
Little Europeans. Afraid of the outside world.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 12:53:28 AM
How so?

Are you predicting the Euro will crash perhaps.

They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Baff

How so?
Are you predicting the Euro will crash perhaps.

You are linked to Germany mate.
You can't devalue your currency enough to compete with us.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 12:49:06 AM
Are you suggesting the EU is going to impose a trade embargo on the UK then?

No. The UK is practically imposing a trade embargo on itself. Many goods produced in the UK will simply become uncompetitive.
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Baff

Are you suggesting the EU is going to impose a trade embargo on the UK?

Or are you just explaining your own feelings of self importance to us.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 12:37:22 AM
We sell 50% more outside of the EU than we do inside.
So you aren't our top trade priority.
And ever making you it, was a strategic error in economic planning.

Doesn't matter whether the EU is your top trading priority. Its loss would still be a crippling blow to your economy.