General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on October 13, 2020, 03:33:00 PM
Lets face it, how ironic would that be, if the Aristocracy had to ramp up in Ireland to protect their banking empire, while fleeing the UK for past deeds.
Yes but those Aristocratic bankers with time will be Irish. So will that be Paddy Mogg or is it Jacob-Rees O'Sullivan.

Sheepy

Lets face it, how ironic would that be, if the Aristocracy had to ramp up in Ireland to protect their banking empire, while fleeing the UK for past deeds.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 02:58:59 PM
Mitigating against your overactive imagination doesn't take up any of my time at all.

It isn't my imagination, it is reality from those who will be at the sharp end of the disaster.
If you don't take some mitigating action to protect yourself you personally could end up in some deep personal poo.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 02:54:22 PMWow.
Never heard that before.

Like 4 years ago.
If we vote to leave.
And then the reality was that the economy boomed.

And 21 years ago.
If we don't join the Euro.
And then the reality was the economy boomed.

Oooo.
Project fear.
So scary.

I'm interested in your take here, do you know what happened the UK economy over the past 4 yrs. can you link some actual data, not just your opinion or what you heard in the old folks home canteen

GerryT

Quote from: papasmurf on October 13, 2020, 01:31:11 PM
Ferry firms handed £77.6m post-Brexit contracts for transport of emergency supplies for six months next year:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54523758

2 hours ago
Four ferry firms have landed government contracts worth a total of £77.6m to provide post-Brexit freight capacity.

Brittany Ferries, DFDS, P&O Ferries and Stena Line will have the job of ensuring medical supplies and other vital goods continue to get to the UK.

The government says it wants a smooth flow of freight "whatever the outcome of negotiations with the EU",

The contracts will be in place for up to six months after the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December.

This is brilliant news, the UK is opening u ferry routes to get EU goods into the UK. SO post brexit the EU will continue to sell goods into the UK without much issue.
Meanwhile UK exporters will sit at the border in Kent with 50,000 forms and at lorry parks withing to clear customs. You have to hand it to Johnson, pay millions to help the EU get their goods into the UK with no additional cost to the EU, meanwhile he screws over the UK export and transport industry. 

Baff

Mitigating against your overactive imagination doesn't take up any of my time at all.
I don't find anything you say to be scary.

Quite the opposite.
When you start crying "doom", I take it as a good omen.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 02:54:22 PM

Project fear.
So scary.

It will be scary for you if you have taken no mitigating action.

Baff

Wow.
Never heard that before.

Like 4 years ago.
If we vote to leave.
And then the reality was that the economy boomed.

And 21 years ago.
If we don't join the Euro.
And then the reality was the economy boomed.

Oooo.
Project fear.
So scary.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 02:38:30 PM

But essentially like most of the COVID response and any number of these Brexit concerns the agenda seems media led to me.
Pandering to doom mongerers, who aren't going to stop preaching doom, just because there isn't any.
Because they need a good story to sell.

Baff, you and others are going to find out next January that "project fear," is reality.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 02:27:57 PM
In which case they don't need to spend an extra 77 million.
If there is surplus capacity, there is no potential for drama.

Actually there is but you will never understand it.  For freight only, I suspect the government is paying for exclusive use of the ferries.
In the case of Brittany ferries just loading 40foot loaded trailers using "tugs" and raising the car decks out of the way far more freight can be carried.

Baff

Everyone welcomes secured contracts from the government.
Government work pays double.

If we look at this as a bailout, I am sympathetic.

But essentially like most of the COVID response and any number of these Brexit concerns the agenda seems media led to me.
Pandering to doom mongerers, who aren't going to stop preaching doom, just because there isn't any.
Because they need a good story to sell.

patman post

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 01:38:18 PM
Do they have surplus vessels and surplus docking capacity on those routes?
Probably not.

This is an another example of headlines leading policy.
Why would  ferry companies be faring better than other international freight transporters?
Checking DFDS Group Investor Relations gives this: "Our results for the second quarter of 2020 are significantly lower than in 2019, due to Covid-19 – still better than anticipated: freight volumes have picked up and the demand for ferry travel is encouraging"

Bet they'll welcome the secured bookings from govt...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

In which case they don't need to spend an extra 77 million.
If there is surplus capacity, there is no potential for drama.

The purpose of this spending is clear.
To be seen to be responding to the concerns of Remoaners.

Which is pointless as it won't in any way stop them from moaning.

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 13, 2020, 01:38:18 PM
Probably not.

Yes they do have a surplus because of Covid-19 and restricted travel many ferries are currently not being used.
For instance Brittany ferries Plymouth/Roscoff is currently not running any ferries passenger or freight until the end of March 2021.

Baff

Probably not.

This is an another example of headlines leading policy.