General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 13, 2020, 11:37:08 PMYou asking for facts, when you know full well it's impossible to show]/b] a fact when we don't know how the UK would have performed if it had stayed in the EU.

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 07:23:13 PM
Made up figure and totally unfounded. You can't possibly know that.

It's only taken 33 posts but we got there in the end.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 11:38:43 PM
You mean you're quoting someone else's figures that you can't prove? Even better 😂

No he's quoting numbers that you can't disprove. Numbers provided by experts. Lets say their accurate to within +/- 15%. If you think their incorrect prove it. Otherwise the numbers stand for themselves

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 13, 2020, 11:29:47 PM
This is exactly what I mean. I gave you figures.  They are not my figures.  They are out there.  You say they are wrong.  You correct them.  I am not going over them again for you to dismiss with the wave of a hand.  And before you start waffling about debt to GDP.  Economic experts reckon that when debt to GDP reaches 90%. It becomes irrecoverable.  So before you, as a statement maker, you start ranting about matters you clearly know nothing about. And clearly do not understand.   Dig this.

https://www.ft.com/content/57974640-8bea-448c-9d0b-32f34825f13e

You mean you're quoting someone else's figures that you can't prove? Even better 😂

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 11:16:55 PM
Can't back up? You see the bit around Sept 2019 that is lower than the bit around Sept 17, that's called going down.  Quid Pro Quo Jimmy!!

That proves nothing, the national debt could have been 130b less than it was if brexit hadn't happen.

What the report did do was show where the UK was in comparison to EU countries over yrs prior to brexit and the years after brexit and extrapolates where the UK would have been if it had stayed in the EU.

You asking for facts, when you know full well it's impossible to show a fact when we don't know how the UK would have performed if it had stayed in the EU.

But it's a typical brexiteer mantra, ignore the experts sure what would they know. But the along comes c19 and the Govt is all about doing what the experts say.

Why hasn't Johnson said in his most eloquent way 'lets just spaff the c19 experts advise up the wall and forget about lock downs'.

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 10:58:30 PM
Well how about you start sharing the links to these factual figures.

Here's a novel idea, make your statement and back it up with a link to a credible source.

This is exactly what I mean. I gave you figures.  They are not my figures.  They are out there.  You say they are wrong.  You correct them.  I am not going over them again for you to dismiss with the wave of a hand.  And before you start waffling about debt to GDP.  Economic experts reckon that when debt to GDP reaches 90%. It becomes irrecoverable. True or not.  The UK is about to find out.   So before you, as a statement maker, start ranting about matters you clearly know nothing about. And clearly do not understand.   Dig this.  By the way.  What are you trying to say with the graph you just produced.  Elucidate please.

https://www.ft.com/content/57974640-8bea-448c-9d0b-32f34825f13e
https://www.crfb.org/blogs/90-percent-debt-gdp-threshold-and-cbo%E2%80%99s-new-debt-estimates

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on October 13, 2020, 10:24:37 PM
DEMOCRACY
But then they think it is about the Benjamins, it always has been for the EU, you could start trying to explain it now and you will still be trying in another 50 years. Basic as they come.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 13, 2020, 09:19:31 PM
Your reply says it all. In the world of forums.  You are a statement maker. You make statements you cannot back up.  And rather than admit it.  You go of in a tangent. And make some pathetic excuse.  The figures I am quoting and as others are.  Come from the UK government, The Financial times, Blomberg, HMRC, the BofE and so on.  They are not my figures.  I did not make them up.  But on the upside.  You have reminded me why the novel by Hans Christian Anderson. The  Emperors Clothes come to mind

Can't back up? You see the bit around Sept 2019 that is lower than the bit around Sept 17, that's called going down.  Quid Pro Quo Jimmy!!

Nick

Quote from: Barry on October 13, 2020, 10:24:37 PM
DEMOCRACY

Think the world is going to run. Out. Of. Full.stops.very.soon.

Nick

Your reply says it all. In the world of forums.  You are a statement maker. You make statements you cannot back up.  And rather than admit it.  You go of in a tangent. And make some pathetic excuse.  The figures I am quoting and as others are.  Come from the UK government, The Financial times, Blomberg, HMRC, the BofE and so on.  They are not my figures.  I did not make them up.  But on the upside.  You have reminded me why the novel by Hans Christian Anderson. The  Emperors Clothes come to mind

Well how about you start sharing the links to these factual figures.

Here's a novel idea, make your statement and back it up with a link to a credible source.

Jaydee

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 13, 2020, 10:01:10 PM
Jaydee, the arguments they put forward are so easily dismissed you're sometimes left wondering if they believe them themselves. You have to wonder what their real reason is? What is the reason that dare not speak its name?

They do not argue or even debate.  It is pathetic rants. As you point out.  The figures speak for themselves.   Produced and they are still in denial.  Those who spout the Big Kranky Bojo lying BS. Will simply just not admit they have been hoodwinked, lied to and fell for it hook line and sinker.  As a Jock.  I can only put it down to English exceptionalism.  When you consider a bozo like Farage.  Who was elected by nobody in UK politics.  A seven time loser in MP stakes.   Has had more air time than all opposition elected party leaders,  put together.  You can see why.   But heh.  As Barry has just stated.  That's democracy

Barry

† The end is nigh †

Cor Blimey!

Jaydee, the arguments they put forward are so easily dismissed you're sometimes left wondering if they believe them themselves. You have to wonder what their real reason is? What is the reason that dare not speak its name?
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 13, 2020, 08:15:48 PM
Can't cause nobody knows them. If the U.K. this, or if the U.K. hadn't left the EU that, it's all made up. U.K. debt as a percentage of GDP was coming down until COVID hit so your Brexit forecasts are incorrect.

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 13, 2020, 07:38:57 PM

Well I have a better idea.  You post the real figures.  And oh.  They are not my figures. Which means if you are saying the figures  are wrong. You must know the correct  ones.  i am all ears.  Correct them

Can't cause nobody knows them. If the U.K. this, or if the U.K. hadn't left the EU that, it's all made up. U.K. debt as a percentage of GDP was coming down until COVID hit so your Brexit forecasts are incorrect.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on October 13, 2020, 07:25:42 PM
Read it all and weep:-

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/summary-costing-brexit
A two and a half year old paper and...

2nd paragraph from the bottom, "The real cost of Brexit will not be clear for some time".

Like I said, you can't possibly know the figures being put forward.