General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: Cor Blimey! on October 16, 2020, 09:57:19 AM
Turning the Chinese into a nation of opium addicts helped a little too, though.
Not just the Chinese either as advertised, the UK had its fair amount of Opium dens. Because even morons deserve a history lesson general.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 16, 2020, 10:24:13 AMDo you mean the bit between 2008 and 2010 where the % debt to GDP grew by 35% in 3 years?

Quote from: Jaydee on October 16, 2020, 09:04:31 AMYou said the Debt to GDP was going down from 2010.

Last time I looked GREW meant up not down.
I'm not sure political debating is your thing Jimmy.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 09:58:04 AM
Absolute bollocks. Tell me which post I said that in.

Oh jings I wonder what this means.  Do you mean the bit between 2008 and 2010 where the % debt to GDP grew by 35% in 3 years?  Under a labour government. It took 9 years to grow by 20% under the Tories, and was coming back down for 2 years up until COVID popped up. As for your last comment, yes. That's why it's call % GDP..  So what was it coming down from.  It was 85.4% in 2019 and Covid had nothing to do with it.  They inherited something like 75% debt to GDP.  And have more than doubled the debt in the process.  And you have still not corrected one figure that I produced and say is wrong.

Nick

Quote from: Jaydee on October 16, 2020, 09:04:31 AMYou said the Debt to GDP was going down from 2010.

Absolute bollocks. Tell me which post I said that in.

Cor Blimey!

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:44:14 AM
Incorrect.
The British Empire got it's money by being the only industrialised nation in the world for a time.

Turning the Chinese into a nation of opium addicts helped a little too, though.
They took care of us when we were vulnerable, now it's our turn to take care of them. Health before Wealth: Lockdown.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2020, 01:40:47 AM
The British empire was like the embarrassing uncle that you wish you had no connection to and you go around denying everything he's actually done. Back in the closet with the uncle and move on.

The UK got it's wealth from the empire, as the countries left so has the wealth. With time all you'll have is England, it's like watching the fall of the Aztecs in real life.

Can I ask which ex-colonial countries you have visited Gerry? Because the vast majority of the ones I've been to are begging for the English to come back and sort their countries out.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2020, 01:35:40 AM
No what I'm saying is as part of the EU the UK built up FDI over many years, but the threat of leaving say the year on yr investment plumet and it will continue to do that. Do you understand the difference in Stock and annual investment re FDI ?

Had a quick peek at one of the wages links and I nearly started to cry looking at the falling UK wages. But what really gets me is the piss poor money, do people really work for those rates ? MOst people in Ireland don't get out of bed for less than 50k, a reasonable wage would be about 70k and a good wage about 100k. Then there's people earing very good wages at 150k and after that you would want to be a director to get the big money.

You live in cloud cuckoo land. Just googled it and the average wage in Ireland is 38500€. That's under £35K.
Where do you get your figures from Gerry?

Jaydee

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:47:08 AM
Correct.
The 2 highest foreign investment years ever.... and you try and claim there has been a reduction in foreign investment.
Beyond stupid.

I really do not know when you qualified from the Gordon Brown School of economics.   But I would go and get my money back.  Geez the Emperor's clothes.  Foreign investment into the UK's most productive industries has plunged since the 2016 Brexit referendum, official data showed, suggesting that uncertainty over future trading arrangements with the EU is stopping businesses from committing to the country.   In total Foreign Investment in the UK has fallen by 92% since the referendum.  What was that about beyond stupid.

https://www.ft.com/content/6416a20a-9805-11e9-8cfb-30c211dcd229
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48776125
https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/foreign-investment-in-the-uk-has-fallen-92-since-2016-why-151085

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 15, 2020, 02:42:31 PM
Jeez, I'm running out of crayons trying to explain things to you.
?? means show me where I am mixing GDP and %GDP.

Lets try and get a answer out of you.  As you once again go of on a tangent.  Now lets unmuddy the waters.  You said the Debt to GDP was going down from 2010.  I produced  the figures in detail.  They not my figures.  They were from The UK treasury, The UK government, the ONS the OECD the ONS, HMRC and  the BofE, Now show me were they went down from when the Tory's took office.   And how do you work out all those organisation are all wrong and you are correct.   What did it go down to.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on October 16, 2020, 01:43:25 AM
From your link

In fact, FDI flows to the United Kingdom declined by 36 per cent between 2017 and 2018, as new equity investments halved, according to the UN data.
You throw up links that prove you wrong, funny

Correct.
From "the highest amount of foreign investment ever to.... the second highest amount of foreign investment ever."
Making 2017 and 2018 the two highest years of foreign investment ever.
As opposed to your narrative which is that fears of leaving the EU reduced foreign investment.

The 2 highest foreign investment years ever.... and you try and claim there has been a reduction in foreign investment.
Beyond stupid.

Perhaps it might help you to understand why we've got record foreign investment.
Because the value of the £ is so weak.
You get 25% more for your money here than you did 4 years ago.

When we leave without a deal, if as expected, the value of the £ drops some more....
They will get even more for their money.
It will attract even more foreign investment.

Baff

Incorrect.
The British Empire got it's money by being the only industrialised nation in the world for a time.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:40:41 AMWhich is completely incorrect.

As we can see from the figures.

The threat of leaving the EU was followed by record investment.
Not the other way round.

After the referendum, remainers predicted investment to go down and instead it went up massively to the two highest years on record.

The two highest years on record.
Record investment.

You can't handle the facts.
You got proved wrong. Egg all over your face.
From your link

In fact, FDI flows to the United Kingdom declined by 36 per cent between 2017 and 2018, as new equity investments halved, according to the UN data.
You throw up links that prove you wrong, funny

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:34:49 AMAnd yet we get better trade deals than the EU does.
Want to know why?

Because most of the EU's size is dead weight.

Economies of scale work both ways.

I'll give example.

The USSR.
Russia is richer without it.

The British Empire.
Britian is richer without it.

Because we are not carrying everyone else.
The British empire was like the embarrassing uncle that you wish you had no connection to and you go around denying everything he's actually done. Back in the closet with the uncle and move on.

The UK got it's wealth from the empire, as the countries left so has the wealth. With time all you'll have is England, it's like watching the fall of the Aztecs in real life.

Baff

Which is completely incorrect.

As we can see from the figures.

The threat of leaving the EU was followed by record investment.
Not the other way round.

After the referendum, remainers predicted investment to go down and instead it went up massively to the two highest years on record.

The two highest years on record.
Record investment.

You can't handle the facts.
You got proved wrong. Egg all over your face.
The exact opposite of what you said would happen has happened.
The exact opposite.

Just as it did over the Euro by the way.
Your record on economic understanding = disaster.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 01:28:42 AMAnd?

Are you saying that record investment in FDI is a bad thing?

And yes, foreign investment fell from the highest on record by 36% to....the second highest on record.

And again you are saying that like it is a bad thing.

The two highest years on record, at a time when "Remain" predicted an economic disaster and no one being willing to invest in the UK any more.

It is quite the most moronic stuff.

The amount of complete arse you people talk.

No what I'm saying is as part of the EU the UK built up FDI over many years, but the threat of leaving say the year on yr investment plumet and it will continue to do that. Do you understand the difference in Stock and annual investment re FDI ?

Had a quick peek at one of the wages links and I nearly started to cry looking at the falling UK wages. But what really gets me is the piss poor money, do people really work for those rates ? MOst people in Ireland don't get out of bed for less than 50k, a reasonable wage would be about 70k and a good wage about 100k. Then there's people earing very good wages at 150k and after that you would want to be a director to get the big money.