General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Baff

Quote from: Nick on October 19, 2020, 07:00:39 PM
So the EU think they can set up camp in the UK on their say so? You really think that the EU can just do what they want Gerry, well they can't.
The grand delusion.

Borchester

Quote from: nick on October 19, 2020, 07:00:39 PM
So the EU think they can set up camp in the UK on their say so? You really think that the EU can just do what they want Gerry, well they can't.

So instead of a legation the EU is prepared to accept a few vets by way of a face saving gesture.

Somehow Gerry will spin this into a mega victory for Brussels and the end of the British Empire, but even his fantasy fogged brain will have to work overtime on this one.
Algerie Francais !

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 19, 2020, 04:53:37 PM
Great to see Gove intensifying talks at the WA joint committee, getting that UK border setup and EU officials in place in NI to oversee what the UK will be doing. Gove just asks that the EU doesn't put up a flag or boiler plate which might embarrass his 'take back control' and 'no trade deal no WA' talk.

Looks like UK politicians say one thing to the UK people and do another.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1318191356897013760.html

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Great to see Gove intensifying talks at the WA joint committee, getting that UK border setup and EU officials in place in NI to oversee what the UK will be doing. Gove just asks that the EU doesn't put up a flag or boiler plate which might embarrass his 'take back control' and 'no trade deal no WA' talk.

Looks like UK politicians say one thing to the UK people and do another.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1318191356897013760.html

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 17, 2020, 10:14:49 PM
Electricians do house bashing Gerry, electrical engineers do industrial stuff.
I'm interested in what programming these electricians do?
Engineers ?  Sorry but an engineer can't touch a mains cable, their not qualified. Only electricians can do that

House bashingwould be bottom ladder, you'll find one qualified guy with 3 apprentices. You'll find BMS systems in industrial and commercial settings, trend, cylon, honeywell, Siemens etc...
They also do fire systems Morley, gent, Siemens etc...
You find good ones on process systems but that's not as common, delta V, honeywell.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 17, 2020, 10:31:12 AM
Most commissioning on electrical  circuits is done by electricians, if your not qualified you can't work on mains voltage. No point sending an instrumentation engineer(doesn't need a degree) to do the extra low voltage stuff when a spark with some training can.

I know what I'm talking about, I work in this industry,

Electricians do house bashing Gerry, electrical engineers do industrial stuff.
I'm interested in what programming these electricians do?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on October 17, 2020, 10:48:39 AM
Baff I see your point, but brexit vote was June 16, most people expected remain to win, even johnson did, he had his "im a remainer" speech all prepared. Fdi in '16 was not impacted by brexit, that investment was on the back of the UK prospering as part of the eu. But since then fdi has steady dropped, way below what was happening in 16. Then you quote Nissan, they have said their pulling out if the UK does a hard brexit, thats after the yk govt gave them a brown envelope with 80m in it. How many other brown envelopes were given out, your govt won't tell you, you need a reporter to get on the case. Fact is with brexit fdi is falling not increasing. Fdi is not an example of a brexit success story, even the company you quote has said it will leave without a deal.

And what did Nissan actually do?
They pulled out of the EU (Spain) and moved that production to the UK.
Invested more here.

Stated preference vs revealed preference.

The exact opposite of your prediction occured. They didn't move investment from the UK to the EU, they moved investment from the EU to the UK.

And no, since the referendum result UK inward investment has not steadily fallen.
This is simply factually incorrect.
After the referendum result there was a massive spike in UK inward investment.
Record investment occoured.
(The Pound fell dramatically in value, after the referendum result, not before).

You can say it steadily fell as many times as you like.
The exact opposite of this still occured. It boomed.

Life hint.
When the facts don't serve your narrative, it is easier to change your narrative than it is to change the facts.

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on October 17, 2020, 01:14:30 PM
Over 50% of the total, but I doubt they can all be named. What's the betting, though, that there's at least one Amit Patel  and John Smith among them...
Well they were wrong then, several times.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

patman post

Quote from: Sheepy on October 17, 2020, 11:56:52 AM
Who is most people?
Over 50% of the total, but I doubt they can all be named. What's the betting, though, that there's at least one Amit Patel  and John Smith among them...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on October 17, 2020, 10:48:39 AM
Baff I see your point, but brexit vote was June 16, most people expected remain to win, even johnson did, he had his "im a remainer" speech all prepared. Fdi in '16 was not impacted by brexit, that investment was on the back of the UK prospering as part of the eu. But since then fdi has steady dropped, way below what was happening in 16. Then you quote Nissan, they have said their pulling out if the UK does a hard brexit, thats after the yk govt gave them a brown envelope with 80m in it. How many other brown envelopes were given out, your govt won't tell you, you need a reporter to get on the case. Fact is with brexit fdi is falling not increasing. Fdi is not an example of a brexit success story, even the company you quote has said it will leave without a deal.
Who is most people?
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 16, 2020, 10:08:27 PM
Go to the website in your link.
Scroll sown to the chart.
Now select "10 years" as the scale.

And you will clearly see that foreign investment boomed during Brexit.
Record investment. It just went nuts. The highest ever recorded.

3 years of massive investment and you are complaining about it being an enconomic disaster.
Let's use your figures to understand it better.
I'm not agreeing that these are the correct figures necessarily, since other sources give different ones, but let's go with them for a moment.

Lets compare them to one single year. 2015.
2015 was a good year for foreign investment.

In year one of Brexit.... 6 times pre Brexit.
In year two of Brexit it is.... 2.5 times pre Brexit.
In year three of Brexit is is.... 1.5 times pre Brexit.
In year four of Brexit it is... 0.5 times pre Brexit.

You've picked one bad year at the end and misrepresented that as the overall trend.
Propaganda. A half truth.

You were predicting a decline in investment due to fear of leaving the EU. But there has been a boom in it.
You are looking at a boom in foreign investment and declaring that boom is a decline in investment.
The boom is declining. Lol. It's not booming as hard as when the boom first started....

These figures are all positive figures. All up on what you had when people expected to remain in the EU.
In the exact opposite of the narrative you are pushing.
So, in the climate of fear of leaving the EU.
Foreign investment in the UK boomed to record highs.

But you can't handle it.
Because that narrative doesn't help you to sell your own political agenda.

So let's give some actual examples of foreign investment in the UK during Brexit.
Nissan.
Honda.
And 1,000 EU financial firms.

All of which fly in the face of your predictions and your narratives.

Which were for car campanies to stop investing and leave.
And banks etc to leave London.

The propaganda being finance companies have left the UK for the EU.
Which is half true, but omits that facts that 3 times more came here, than have left.

Essentially, your economics is lies.
Half truths at best.

GerryT

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 09:51:42 PM
What programming/commissioning does an 'ELECTRICIAN' do in Ireland Gerry?
We'll get on to the salary after you answer that.
Most commissioning on electrical  circuits is done by electricians, if your not qualified you can't work on mains voltage. No point sending an instrumentation engineer(doesn't need a degree) to do the extra low voltage stuff when a spark with some training can.

I know what I'm talking about, I work in this industry,

papasmurf

Quote from: Baff on October 17, 2020, 12:35:25 AM

We are all smart and motivated people working towards our own betterment.
Well resourced, well educated and well connected.

What are you smoking?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baff

@Postman Pat.

The benefit of hindsight.

I cannot make accurate predictions about our future, I accept that.
Other people do not.

They think they can.
What I can show them is how much of a fool they have already made of themselves with their predictions already.

I did not predict that voting Brexit would result in a fall in the value of the Pound.
But I do recognise the advantages this creates for me to exploit.

Understanding the odds.

And when you go for the wild predictions, doom and disaster, the chances of your predictions coming true are very much reduced. They become stupid. An offense to common sense.
I do not have to know what will happen to have a very good understanding of what will not.
I cannot predict the weather for you next week, but I can tell you with a high degree of certainty that you will not be struck by lightning and a tornado.

Is your glass half empty? Is your glass half full?

What is the difference?
If your glass is half empty, no one will invest in you.
No one will lead where you follow.

These people who preach economic disaster and decline, no one will vote for that.
No one will follow.

What they seek for us, we do not wish for ourselves.
We take steps to avoid this outcome.
And this basic human nature is to be relied upon.
Just because some guy wants us to fail economically, to validate himself, does not mean that we will play ball with this ambition he has for us.

The human spirit.

We are all smart and motivated people working towards our own betterment.
Well resourced, well educated and well connected.
We find oppotunity because we seek it out and then we adapt to exploit that opportunity.
And this fundamental human nature can be relied upon in economics.

Dooom! We are all self destructing!
Er no. That is the least likely situation.

Jaydee

Quote from: nick on October 16, 2020, 10:01:08 PM
If you can't form the sentences then the contents is irrelevant. You keep banging those rocks together Jimmy cause I'm done.

Yes I know you are done.  Read the Emperors Clothes.  Who the hell do you think are  trying to kid.  You cannot even back up one word you spout.