General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Jaydee

Quote from: cromwell on October 27, 2020, 04:26:25 PM
What part do you not understand ........repeated ad nauseam  :-[

What you don't understand is nobody cares about your predictions of impending doom and that we'll all become paupers,we won't,you're wrong but in any event the die was cast a good while ago.

We are leaving and don't really care about all the waffle produced by you and Gerry that we are going down the tubes,it's boring and based on your respective dislikes of the English.

Do either of you ever recollect seeing the sandwich board man with the slogan "the end is nigh" it wasn't then and isn't now.

Two things.  What prediction did I make.  I have posted facts. End off.   Have you ever corrected one thing I have said.  The answer is no.  And nobody is denying the UK is leaving the EU.  England having voted to make itself poorer. That ship has sailed.  With a ferry company that has no ships.  I might add.  And two..  How do you work out I dislike the English.  My mother is English.  Or is because you dislike the Scots  you cannot correct anything I have said. Then make out I said things I did not say.  Like predictions.  Do you recollect reading the Emperor's clothes.  Or do you just like making statement without correcting anything that you are posting about.   Which is rampant with Brexiteers.  And it seems you care enough to respond.  The penny now dropping. 

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on October 27, 2020, 06:17:39 PM
Transferring money, paying bills etc shouldn't be affected.

There could be an increase in charges.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

GerryT

Quote from: patman post on October 27, 2020, 03:09:52 PMWe're interested in mortgage payments and settling local bills. This is what we've been referred to:
https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/news-insights/news/brexit-1-january-2021-onwards-get-ready-end-transition-period

From the paragraph starting However, as of 1 January 2021 as no extension of the transition period was agreed indicates that we — as private individuals — are unlikely to be required to jump through any extra hoops...
Transferring money, paying bills etc shouldn't be affected. The issue about passporting is a UK bank providing a service to an EU company or individual.

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on October 27, 2020, 05:04:17 PM
In Ireland there's little to no talk of a reunification poll. As for lecturing, how could I. Brexiteers knew exactly what they voted for, financial passporting is something their all perfectly knowledgeable about.

At last -comprehension of just how irrelevant all the badgering is. Perhaps now we can talk of something else!

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 27, 2020, 02:37:28 PMWell while you are on here lecturing the english about leaving the eu ( to no avail...in fact you seem to be entrenching attitudes on here for leave ) all the talk in ireland seems to be focusing around a reunification poll.
So while the few plastic paddies , and other trolls from allegedly various countries around the world keep coming on here punting the failed project fear of anglo remain , it seems to me everyone else is cracking on setting their stalls out to take advantage of the new world that is around 9 weeks away.
Dont mind me though gerry , you keep flogging that dead horse while clutching at whatever straws you can along the way.
In Ireland there's little to no talk of a reunification poll. As for lecturing, how could I. Brexiteers knew exactly what they voted for, financial passporting is something their all perfectly knowledgeable about.

cromwell

Quote from: Jaydee on October 27, 2020, 03:56:41 PM
Delingpole is clearly thick. Ranting about something he does not know.  Just like some on here.  But Andrew Neil who is no left wing nut job.  Is not thick. What part of his explanation did he get wrong? Or are you jsut going make another statement.    WTO rules apply to the member of the WTO.  Which part of on Jan 1st the UK will no longer be part of any deals carried out in the last 40 odd years do you not understand. That Schedule of Concession  is held by the the EU.  And the application put forward on behalf   of the UK failed miserably.  Rejected  by at least a dozen countries.  One of them being the USofA.  The country which Big Kranky Bojo, the world leading Muppet was supposed to be doing a great deal with.  And in case it has not dawned on you. All the fanny being spouted by that Muppet Bojo.  He is waiting to see the outcome of the US election.  Then watch the back tracking.  That is about his 10th deadline that muppet has let past.  How many deadlines does he need.  I have explained it a dozen times and it is getting boring. Get it in between the grey matter.  The EU will protect its members and apply WTO rulers.  Do you really thing what cost the UK some £8 billion a year.  That the UK will get it for nothing and the rest of the EU members will have to pay.  Get real. 

Back in October 2016 Liam Fox, a leading Brexit campaigner ahead of the June 23 referendum, said Britain did not need to re-apply to join the WTO, the international trade body, when it leaves the European Union as it was already "a full and founding member". That was not true. Fox said at the time – "We will want to see a position on WTO schedules adopted in a way that causes minimal disruption. It is not an insoluble riddle." Before the referendum, WTO Director-General Roberto Azevedo warned – "renegotiating Britain's relationship with the rest of the WTO could take years or even decades" – and let's be fair, he should know. 

Which part of that do you not understand,

https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/brexit-britains-trade-application-that-the-wto-rejected/

What part do you not understand ........repeated ad nauseam  :-[

What you don't understand is nobody cares about your predictions of impending doom and that we'll all become paupers,we won't,you're wrong but in any event the die was cast a good while ago.

We are leaving and don't really care about all the waffle produced by you and Gerry that we are going down the tubes,it's boring and based on your respective dislikes of the English.

Do either of you ever recollect seeing the sandwich board man with the slogan "the end is nigh" it wasn't then and isn't now.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Jaydee

Quote from: Baff on October 27, 2020, 11:50:45 AM
No.

WTO rules apply to anyone you don't have a superceding trade deal with.

Delingpole is clearly thick. Ranting about something he does not know.  Just like some on here.  But Andrew Neil who is no left wing nut job.  Is not thick. What part of his explanation did he get wrong? Or are you jsut going make another statement.    WTO rules apply to the member of the WTO.  Which part of on Jan 1st the UK will no longer be part of any deals carried out in the last 40 odd years do you not understand. That Schedule of Concession  is held by the the EU.  And the application put forward on behalf   of the UK failed miserably.  Rejected  by at least a dozen countries.  One of them being the USofA.  The country which Big Kranky Bojo, the world leading Muppet was supposed to be doing a great deal with.  And in case it has not dawned on you. All the fanny being spouted by that Muppet Bojo.  He is waiting to see the outcome of the US election.  Then watch the back tracking.  That is about his 10th deadline that muppet has let past.  How many deadlines does he need.  I have explained it a dozen times and it is getting boring. Get it in between the grey matter.  The EU will protect its members and apply WTO rulers.  Do you really thing what cost the UK some £8 billion a year.  That the UK will get it for nothing and the rest of the EU members will have to pay.  Get real. 

Back in October 2016 Liam Fox, a leading Brexit campaigner ahead of the June 23 referendum, said Britain did not need to re-apply to join the WTO, the international trade body, when it leaves the European Union as it was already "a full and founding member". That was not true. Fox said at the time – "We will want to see a position on WTO schedules adopted in a way that causes minimal disruption. It is not an insoluble riddle." Before the referendum, WTO Director-General Roberto Azevedo warned – "renegotiating Britain's relationship with the rest of the WTO could take years or even decades" – and let's be fair, he should know. 

Which part of that do you not understand,

https://truepublica.org.uk/united-kingdom/brexit-britains-trade-application-that-the-wto-rejected/

patman post

Quote from: papasmurf on October 26, 2020, 06:58:23 PM
What indications?  There appears to be total silence about passported financial transactions.
We're interested in mortgage payments and settling local bills. This is what we've been referred to:
https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/news-insights/news/brexit-1-january-2021-onwards-get-ready-end-transition-period

From the paragraph starting However, as of 1 January 2021 as no extension of the transition period was agreed indicates that we — as private individuals — are unlikely to be required to jump through any extra hoops...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on October 27, 2020, 02:30:47 PM
True, but with talks now intensifying, I hear Barnier and Johnson are planning on continuing and not stopping for the weekend, looks like a deal is close to been struck, but I guess it will be a very basic one. Level playing field, a robust dispute resolution system, some concessions on fishing and a commitment to continue talks into the new yr to try improve in certain areas. What's the betting that financial services and passporting gets a 2yr extension and then the UK looses most if not all passports. I've heard that would suit the EU perfectly as it gives the EU time to move the financial business into the EU in a controlled way and not disrupt EU business. Good for UK banking also as it keeps the revenue flowing for another 2 years but it will be continually shrinking. Time will tell.

Well while you are on here lecturing the english about leaving the eu ( to no avail...in fact you seem to be entrenching attitudes on here for leave ) all the talk in ireland seems to be focusing around a reunification poll.

So while the few plastic paddies , and other trolls from allegedly various countries around the world keep coming on here punting the failed project fear of anglo remain , it seems to me everyone else is cracking on setting their stalls out to take advantage of the new world that is around 9 weeks away.

Dont mind me though gerry , you keep flogging that dead horse while clutching at whatever straws you can along the way.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 27, 2020, 01:33:48 AM
No, no, you're wrong Baff 😂. For example, all of HSBC's 7500 offices in 80 countries will flat line come 1st Jan. I mean, they won't be able to direct currencies to which ever office is best for that transaction.

Exactly, unless HSBC's offices are actually EU legal entities. Following EU regulations laws, oversight etc... and EU income tax and corporation tax. No HSBC office in the UK can provide such a service so the UK gets left it the cold.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 27, 2020, 01:07:19 AMOf course they will.
They have offices in an EU country.

They are global banks. They register in every jurisdiction. Not just the UK.
No they don't. They can have a bank in the EU, a legal entity. They can't have a branch or office. The local entity would be responsible in it's own right and under full EU jurisdiction, financial regulation and it would pay income tax to the EU.
There would be no transfer fees from the EU company to the UK company. The UK company CAN'T perform a service for a EU company, that requires passporting.

This will eventually sink in.

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 27, 2020, 02:24:16 PMjesus Gerry , this thread still rumbling on?

Still out arguing on the pavement as the pub doors are getting shut and the lights turned out.

I can't believe its 27th October already. 9 weeks on  Friday Gerry till england takes us all out the eu.
True, but with talks now intensifying, I hear Barnier and Johnson are planning on continuing and not stopping for the weekend, looks like a deal is close to been struck, but I guess it will be a very basic one. Level playing field, a robust dispute resolution system, some concessions on fishing and a commitment to continue talks into the new yr to try improve in certain areas. What's the betting that financial services and passporting gets a 2yr extension and then the UK looses most if not all passports. I've heard that would suit the EU perfectly as it gives the EU time to move the financial business into the EU in a controlled way and not disrupt EU business. Good for UK banking also as it keeps the revenue flowing for another 2 years but it will be continually shrinking. Time will tell.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 26, 2020, 11:57:23 PM16th October Boris tells U.K. to prepare for no deal: EU gets 25 irate calls from member states telling them enough is enough and they better get a deal.
You see Gerry, our deal with Japan which was concluded in record time has shown the EU how much trade with the U.K. means to the big hitters. This has focused the minds of Barnier and his bully boys. You limp wristed liberals can mock it all you want but as none of you can disprove, there is nothing the EU has that we can't buy from within the Commonwealth. And TBH I feel more for these countries and their people than any of the 27 WU members. I don't feel or want to be European but unfortunately tectonics governs my status.

Do you get it yet?

I do get it, but die in a ditch did say he would walk unless the EU made a fundamental shift. Johnsons deadline has passed and there has been no fundamental shift in the EU position.
All that happened is Johnson was mouthing off to the UK audience, again, cancelled the talks and then 4 or 5 days later asks Barnier to please come back so we can talk again. There's very little talk in EU countries about Brexit, there is in Ireland but it's far from headline news, you have to dig deep to find it.
Do you get it yet?

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on October 27, 2020, 02:19:33 PM
If its a hard brexit and no financial passports, then yes, a UK bank will not be able to do this for EU customers. This is why UK banks have been setting up business in EU states, so that they can hold onto existing customers. But that means these companies can't "ship" work back to the UK "head office", as then the UK legal entity would be providing a service into the EU which is not allowed without passporting.
Did you not know this very simple fact of brexit, I thought you knew what you were voting for ?  this is what you wanted I can only presume.
I was talking about passporting lisenses, why are you talking about your local bank and a local loan ???  I also said it wouldn't affect you sending money from a UK bank to an EU bank which was a point raised earlier.

jesus Gerry , this thread still rumbling on?

Still out arguing on the pavement as the pub doors are getting shut and the lights turned out.

I cant believe its 27th october already. 9 weeks on  Friday Gerry till england takes us all out the eu.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 26, 2020, 11:33:10 PMOnce again Gerry your "Ducks floats, wood floats: Ducks are made of wood" logic is up the junction.

So after Brexit, a U.K. bank won't be able to issue a bond, deal in hedge funds, issue foreign currency or give a loan? Another classic.
If its a hard brexit and no financial passports, then yes, a UK bank will not be able to do this for EU customers. This is why UK banks have been setting up business in EU states, so that they can hold onto existing customers. But that means these companies can't "ship" work back to the UK "head office", as then the UK legal entity would be providing a service into the EU which is not allowed without passporting.
Did you not know this very simple fact of brexit, I thought you knew what you were voting for ?  this is what you wanted I can only presume.

Quote from: Nick on October 26, 2020, 11:33:10 PMI walk into my local bank and tell them I want a loan of £12.50 to buy my dear Irish friend a new calculator and they'll say "Nope, can't do that. Those pesky EU bastards won't let us give you the money, that poor wretch is going to have to use his fingers and toes until we rejoin the almighty EU".

There's more holes in your posts than those horrible round polystyrene wafers sprinkled in bistro.

We now await super Jimmy to come to your rescue and tell us we just don't get it and post the same garbage he has for the last 2 weeks.
I was talking about passporting lisenses, why are you talking about your local bank and a local loan ???  I also said it wouldn't affect you sending money from a UK bank to an EU bank which was a point raised earlier.