General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

cromwell

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 11:55:33 AM
You mean the facts. "project fear", now that's not a fact, just a meaningless mantra for the dumb folk.  When I post that brexit HAS cost the UK over 130b and climbing that wasn't known four years ago. When I post that "the easiest deal in human history" wasn't actually how it panned out, that wasn't known four years ago. When I posted that USA is threatening the UK with no deal, that wasn't known 4 years ago. But then I forgot about your crystal ball.
Well your prob not my type either, pity I had pictured you reading my posts with your hand down your kilt. I'll have to revise that one now. I'm sure Cor will be back when he finishes working on his new material for 2021. I know who Jim is, but we may as well be talking about any other b list politician with little to no influence or decision ability. His sister is far more influential, she lives around the corner from me and my son has just joined the same rugby club as her's.
Typical, first you think Merkel and Macron rule the EU, delusion, and now its Jim, from Ireland who has everyone hanging on his every word. "go Jim, go Jim, yeaaaa Jim".
No you got that wrong it's "life Jim but not as we know it" I just wish someone would beam you up because you just don't get we are leaving don't care that you believe we're doomed or that crap that we are the eu and the eu are us........it's all bollocks and before long you will find you aren't as important as you believe.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 30, 2020, 07:44:49 AMNeither do you gerry.
The time you have posted on our forums under the guise of the mild mannered dubliner , you have never made any point except to trot out re hashed project fear comments that were relevant four years ago before the referendum , and are now pretty much meaningless.
You mean the facts. "project fear", now that's not a fact, just a meaningless mantra for the dumb folk.  When I post that brexit HAS cost the UK over 130b and climbing that wasn't known four years ago. When I post that "the easiest deal in human history" wasn't actually how it panned out, that wasn't known four years ago. When I posted that USA is threatening the UK with no deal, that wasn't known 4 years ago. But then I forgot about your crystal ball.

Quote from: Thomas on October 30, 2020, 07:44:49 AMCould you have a word with cor blimey , and ask him to pop back on incognito?
He was much more fun , and certainly stirred things up .
Im sure you are a lovely person in real life gerry , but you are just so dam well boring. I don't dislike you the way i do patman , its just that most of your posts tend to put me to sleep before i have finished reading them.
Did you manage to find out who jim o callaghan is?
Well your prob not my type either, pity I had pictured you reading my posts with your hand down your kilt. I'll have to revise that one now. I'm sure Cor will be back when he finishes working on his new material for 2021. I know who Jim is, but we may as well be talking about any other b list politician with little to no influence or decision ability. His sister is far more influential, she lives around the corner from me and my son has just joined the same rugby club as her's.
Typical, first you think Merkel and Macron rule the EU, delusion, and now its Jim, from Ireland who has everyone hanging on his every word. "go Jim, go Jim, yeaaaa Jim".

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on October 30, 2020, 10:46:24 AM
Thank goodness we have a friend like you, Gerry. Thanks for being there for us.
That made me laugh. The City of London bankers love Gerry.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

T00ts

I actually feel quite sorry for Ireland. They played what they thought was a good game and for a while I am sure they felt it was all going their way. They had Macron and Merkel's ear and persuaded them of a route to either badly damage us or even keep us in. I said it at the time but Varadkar's body language and face gave him away when both leaders and Barnier visited. He knew just how rocky Ireland's position is and was fearful then that it would take very little for the others to turn. In the end the EU will protect those who are seen as most important and it isn't Ireland I'm afraid. They have already measured Ireland's weakness when they faced the EU bully tactics some years ago.

Ireland may have felt that they stood with the big boys, but like all bullies they will back down when their own welfare is threatened and they will ditch their 'friends' for the sake of their own wellbeing.

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 30, 2020, 01:20:18 AMBecause now you are alone in the EU.  And they are going to shit on you from a great height.
You are now Germany's bitch.
Joined to a basket case currency that doesn't work for you.
Forced to place trade barriers against some of your best customers.
Required by their international law to break your own peace treaties.
Your fisheries will belong to France.
You cross border farms unable to trade freely.
And your biggest money spinners are about to get legislated away.
Finance and tech companies. Because France and Germany can't compete with them without lowering their taxes and they love high taxes far more than they will ever love you.
Alone, you'll find the UK is the one alone in the world. IRL has it's 26 buddies. We used to be buddies with our next door neighbour, but when they stole our land, killed over a million of us, stole our language, took all our food, closed our schools and tried to kill all our priests we thought to ourselves, are they a good fiend. We decided to find new friends.
Less than 10% of our exports go to the UK, sounds like the UK needs our food, always has so nothing has changed. Is that IRL not co-operating ?
Over 40% of UK exports go to the EU and with 1T of financial services walking out the door that can't be a good thing.

And we aren't imposing trade tariffs and barriers with the UK. The UK is doing that, by going on WTO you are the country introducing the barriers, don't forget that one Baff when the shit hits the fan, you know who to blame.

Quote from: Baff on October 30, 2020, 01:20:18 AMSo spare us your project fear.
You are projecting. That is all.
Trying to place your own problems onto us.
Something we are sick of. Which is why we left.
Your solution to your problems was to convince us to stay by behaving towards us in more of the bullying manner that caused us to leave.
You have played a bad hand terribly.
Good luck with the EU.
I strongly hope that you exceed my expectations for you. I really do.
Your like a good little soldier, cummings comes up with a nicely packaged slogan "project fear" being one and you switch off your brain and repeat the matra. "EU bad, UK good" "project fear" uuuggggg.
What the UK should be sick of is blaming he EU for all the UK fu'k ups. What's betting the UK's past time of being superior and the EU dragging it down will continue and intensify even when the Uk has left properly. "but they won't give us what we want, it's so unfair, their bullies not doing what we tell them to do"
Luckily that IRL is a small country and in numerical terms it's far easier to plug any gaps. I never tried to ask you to stay, nor did anyone else or any other country, what put that silly notion in your head ?
The bullying is an interesting one, can you give (no you can't) some specific examples or bullying. Show how the EU has threatened, abused or intimidated. This should be good. Now not an opinion, a fact. One that wasn't made up.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 10:12:47 AMBaff the UK still doesn't know what brexit is and what it wants. stumbling around in the dark. We're here to help you out.

That's just the same line you trot out to make yourself feel good. We know exactly what we want and it's the exact opposite to what Ireland has. No Euro, no interference from a foreign power, borders that are safe from 2 million unidentified Syrians and out of the cartel. Get it?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Barry

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 10:12:47 AMBaff the UK still doesn't know what brexit is and what it wants. stumbling around in the dark. We're here to help you out.
Thank goodness we have a friend like you, Gerry. Thanks for being there for us.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

Oh thank you the first giggle of the day! :)

GerryT

Quote from: Baff on October 30, 2020, 01:17:24 AM
All Brexit forums have been flooded with Irish recently.
It's like they finally worked it out.

That we were serious about it and threatening us and posturing against us and being as unhelpful to us as is humanly possible, didn't make us do as they say.
Hasn't had the desired affect.
Baff the UK still doesn't know what brexit is and what it wants. stumbling around in the dark. We're here to help you out.

Quote from: Baff on October 30, 2020, 01:17:24 AMAnd now they are in overdrive. Because all that bluffing has been called.
And after all that bluster they have finally realised that it is them who are going to be hit the hardest from this and they have done precisely nothing at all to mitigate this except massively piss off and alienate themselves from the UK, who they need to keep good relations with after to minimise the loss and maximise the potential for future gain.

It's not just you.
The Germans are out in force telling us how bad this is for us too.
How much we are self harming.

It's pretty clear to us from all this who has the most to lose.
Where the sources of loudest complaint emanate from.
And it isn't our own country.
I'll have thomas complaining if I start pointing out why the UK will be hardest hit financially after you leave, backed up by facts. But you just ignore them and reply with this tripe. The UK triggered brexit on their own and are alienating themselves from the EU and possibly the USA. That leaves the southern hemisphere for you.

Quote from: Baff on October 30, 2020, 01:17:24 AMSo.
You people have played a bad hand terribly.
You could have been sympathetic and co-operative at any time both before and after the referendum.
But you went power mad.
Wanted to show us all how big your spuds are.

And it turns out, they aren't very big.
Now you know.
We are sympathetic and we have co-operated. But what you think is co-operation is giving the UK what it wants. That's not co-operation.
In fact the UK don't understand the word, for the UK there has to be rulers and followers, even the UK is made up of four constituent parts where England rules and the rest follow, not much co-operation going on there. Look at the EU, the council has 1 person from each state and the commission has one person from each state. Thats how you co-operate. You have never understood the EU and prob never will.

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 12:10:23 AM

Thomas you need to try focus on the post and not the poster, I can only assume you do that because you have no point to make.

Neither do you gerry.

The time you have posted on our forums under the guise of the mild mannered dubliner , you have never made any point except to trot out re hashed project fear comments that were relevant four years ago before the referendum , and are now pretty much meaningless.

Could you have a word with cor blimey , and ask him to pop back on incognito?

He was much more fun , and certainly stirred things up .

Im sure you are a lovely person in real life gerry , but you are just so dam well boring. I dont dislike you the way i do patman , its just that most of your posts tend to put me to sleep before i have finished reading them.

Did you manage to find out who jim o callaghan is?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Baff on October 29, 2020, 10:03:21 PM
He used to be a Scottish Tory apparently.
Before we went SNP.

The part that tickles me is the part where he votes for Brexit, gets it.
But clearly didn't want it.
Got to love tactical voting.

He still is a scottish tory baff. There are many scottish tories within the snp , along with those whose natural home would be parties like labour , liberals etc etc. The snp is a very broad church of likeminded people who support scottish independence.

As for jaydee voting for brexit , i would be surprised, but if he did , then he is in a tiny minority when two thirds of scotland voted remain.

There you go.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 12:29:00 AM

I'm curious as to why you think IRL will be far worse off compared to the UK post a hard brexit. Of IRL's exports now 10% go to the UK and we have FTA's in place with over 60 leading countries in the world plus bilateral deals with many others. The Uk is loosing all it's FTA's and over 40% of its FTA with the EU AND where the main sector of the UK economy being service this is seldom covered by FTA's. How does that work ?
Because now you are alone in the EU.

And they are going to shit on you from a great height.

You are now Germany's bitch.
Joined to a basket case currency that doesn't work for you.
Forced to place trade barriers against some of your best customers.
Required by their international law to break your own peace treaties.

Your fisheries will belong to France.
You cross border farms unable to trade freely.

And your biggest money spinners are about to get legislated away.
Finance and tech companies. Because France and Germany can't compete with them without lowering their taxes and they love high taxes far more than they will ever love you.

So spare us your project fear.
You are projecting. That is all.
Trying to place your own problems onto us.

Something we are sick of. Which is why we left.
Your solution to your problems was to convince us to stay by behaving towards us in more of the bullying manner that caused us to leave.
You have played a bad hand terribly.

Good luck with the EU.
I strongly hope that you exceed my expectations for you. I really do.

Baff

All Brexit forums have been flooded with Irish recently.
It's like they finally worked it out.

That we were serious about it and threatening us and posturing against us and being as unhelpful to us as is humanly possible, didn't make us do as they say.
Hasn't had the desired affect.

And now they are in overdrive. Because all that bluffing has been called.
And after all that bluster they have finally realised that it is them who are going to be hit the hardest from this and they have done precisely nothing at all to mitigate this except massively piss off and alienate themselves from the UK, who they need to keep good relations with after to minimise the loss and maximise the potential for future gain.

It's not just you.
The Germans are out in force telling us how bad this is for us too.
How much we are self harming.

It's pretty clear to us from all this who has the most to lose.
Where the sources of loudest complaint emanate from.
And it isn't our own country.

So.
You people have played a bad hand terribly.
You could have been sympathetic and co-operative at any time both before and after the referendum.
But you went power mad.
Wanted to show us all how big your spuds are.

And it turns out, they aren't very big.
Now you know.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 28, 2020, 07:52:16 AMNo we don't, we don't care. How many times do I have to tell you we are happy to take a hit to get out of the EU.
You just keep hitting us with facts about how we will suffer when all along it is you who is worrying about the impact of Brexit. Ireland will suffer far more than the UK on no deal and you didn't ask for it, I get that but don't constantly keep telling us what mess it will be for the UK as we don't care.

CV-19 has already done the damage to the world, it isn't getting any worse come January.

You might be happy, but the brexit vote was won on promises, they spoke of great financial gains and loads of money for the UK. Sure there was even comments saying "nobody is talking about leaving the single market". I have pointed out where brexit HAS had an impact, not that it WILL, and that's before you leave properly. I do agree that C19 is a major global problem, but it would be incorrect to think brexit can't make things worse, it most certainly can. It's not a cliff fall, more like a death from a thousand cuts, Brexit will work in decades not years, but in 4 or 5 years people will see the impact. Maybe that's why recent polls have shown the majority of UK people think the vote to leave the EU was the wrong thing to do, 50% saying it was wrong, 38% saying it was right and 12% don't know. Your part of the 38% not the 50% and not the 12%.
https://whatukthinks.org/eu/questions/in-highsight-do-you-think-britain-was-right-or-wrong-to-vote-to-leave-the-eu/

I'm curious as to why you think IRL will be far worse off compared to the UK post a hard brexit. Of IRL's exports now 10% go to the UK and we have FTA's in place with over 60 leading countries in the world plus bilateral deals with many others. The Uk is loosing all it's FTA's and over 40% of its FTA with the EU AND where the main sector of the UK economy being service this is seldom covered by FTA's. How does that work ?

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on October 28, 2020, 07:41:18 AMDont talk cac.

Heres jim o callaghan , Fianna fail TD , talking about it two days ago..

heres "your" taoiseach , you know the irish prime minister michael martin talking about it in july...

https://www.irishpost.com/news/taoiseach-micheal-martin-not-in-favour-of-divisive-irish-unity-referendum-188724

and here it is being discussed again by the likes of fianna fails barry cowen and others ...

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/shared-island-initiative-sparks-policy-debate-in-fianna-f%C3%A1il-1.4389753

So what are you talking about?

Why arent you discussin brexit from an irish standpoint instead of talking like an english remainer and arguing almost exclusively about  brexit in terms of its effect on england while arguing on behalf of the eu admininstration ?

Your a fraud gerry.

Quote (selected)
Brexit gets the odd mention but most people have moved on to other things,

Well thats a desperate contradiction. If you are irish , ( you arent) and brexit only gets a fleeting mention in ireland now and again with the insinuation no can't is bothered , why are you on here day after day solely talking about it to the exclusion of all else?

You havent to my knowledge posted ever in the irish thread , and spend most if not all your time on this brexit thread.?

You are nothing but another anglo remain concern troll.

Quote (selected)
there's very few people in ROI want to inherit a bunch of fanatical ulster unionists.

Quote (selected)

Further findings from the poll also suggest there is significant support among Irish voters for a united Ireland.

65% of voters polled have indicated they would vote in favour of a united Ireland if a referendum was held tomorrow. 19% would vote against the proposal, while 15% of respondents to the poll said they did not know or refused to answer the question

https://www.rte.ie/news/elections-2019/2019/0525/1051603-rte-tg4-exit-poll/

another vague meaningless comment by you. You dont half talk some rubbish.

Quote (selected)
You think you know, but believe it or not Irish history taught in primary school spends very little time talking about England and it's influence on Irish life.

is that so?

Quote (selected)
If I want to discuss Irish history I can go onto an Irish history forum

sure you can. My point is you dont want to discuss praactically any aspect of ireland past present of future, or day to day living , or especially politics.  You focus almost entrely on brexit and englands relationship with the eu  , which is strange for someone who apprently isnt english or living in england or the wider uk.

Quote (selected)
But I want to discuss Brexit and how it will affect Europe

No you dont . You spend your whole time discussing how brexit will adversely (in your opinion of course) affect England  , not europe . You are an english pro remainer constantly parping out non stop project fear.

No one is listening  , its boy who cried wolf stuff.

Quote (selected)
From the day I joined I said I wanted to try understand the reasons people voted for brexit

You have been told time and gain by your fellow english why they voted brexit , and no you dont want to understand merely throw mud constantly at brexit. Tough.

Its happening in 9 weeks.
Quote (selected)
What it's boiled down to is a romantic idea of sovereignty which doesn't exist and a fear of immigration which the UK always had control over. Oh and 40 yrs of lying about the EU and blaming the EU on everything. People here keep talking about the sunny uplands and how everything will be so great, that's why we are on this merry go round of me pointing out whats actually happening and asking for a couple of examples of the sunny uplands, still hasn't happened. We could stop if people just said, yes we know it's a financial disaster but our children's, children's children might see the crop from the hard work the next couple of generations put in.

Saying the same thing over and over and expecting a different response is the sign of idiocy if not madness.
Yes Irish politicians will look at what's going on and do what's right for our country. It's what Johnson should have done rather than sell out the UK. But that's not widespread discussion on a border poll. Your deluded. You don't live over here and have obviously not a clue what is and isn't being spoken about. In ROI, a border poll is not a topic of conversation among the people, end of.
I do talk about brexit from the Irish perspective. Iv'e spoken about how we have commissioned two of the largest RoRo ferries among other changes so we can now ship the majority of all goods direct to the main land. I've spoken how we have gone from over 20% of our goods exports going to the uk to under 10% and that continues to fall. Our supply chains have moved from UK suppliers to EU suppliers, in many cases for the exact same goods. I've also said this will hurt specific industries even with all the above done, primarily the beef/poultry/sheep etc area, that's still a concern.
The only fraud around here is you. All you want to do is throw personal insults at people and then go down some rabbit hole. This is a brexit discussion forum, not an irish history form or "where does gerry come from" forum. You have an inability to debate the points being made.

I live in Dublin, simple, you can chose to believe that or not. It's irrelevant, From the day I said why I was on here, don't believe me if you want. I post under the same name on Boards.ie, why don't you pop in there and look at the watch forum, I bought a watch last week from another poster and popped up to Lucan to pick it up. Your conspiracy theories are very boring and they don't rile me up in the slightest.

Why would I want to discuss IRL and it's history. Hint, this is a brexit forum and as far as I know the only country going through brexit is the UK. In 2016 and 17 my brother in law from Scotland couldn't believe how much the Irish spoke of Brexit, it was on everything non stop. He said it wasn't discussed as much in the UK, the simple reason being IRL could only mitigate against the madness happening next door and in fairness to Varadkar and Simon Coveney they did a fantastic job, without them the WA wouldn't have had the protection for NI against England that is so needed. Without them IRL may not have got so much support from USA, you think there's a special relationship between USA and UK, news flash there's not. All you have is the USA using the UK as a gimp for access into and a means to disrupt the EU, and follow the USA in wars of economy. The real special relationship is between USA and IRL.
Thomas you need to try focus on the post and not the poster, I can only assume you do that because you have no point to make.