General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 02:37:05 PMWell recent polls say the majority of UK people think brexit was a mistake, is that what you want ?

The most recent poll that actually meant anything gave the Conservatives a MASSIVE majority. I think that was a thumbs up for Brexit. Any arguments with that statement Gerry?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borchester

Quote from: Baff on October 30, 2020, 06:12:04 PM
ROFLLMAO at an "equal".
In what way are you the equal of Germany in the EU?

To be fair, the Germans need somewhere to keep the lawnmower  :)
Algerie Francais !

Baff

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 03:32:26 PM
I think what your experiencing is the UK isn't as "special" as you thought it was. Not that IRL is "so important", we hold the same level of importance within the EU today as we did the day we joined. An equal. That's what the UK was, an equal but it thought it was more equal than others, if it had only realised it's real position maybe the UK wouldn't have been so disgruntled all these years. A life lesson for when you sail into the sunset, some humility will go a long way.
ROFLLMAO at an "equal".
In what way are you the equal of Germany in the EU?

Frankly you are projecting.
Not as "special" as you thought. No humility. Not an equal.

If it soothes your ego however, you are more important to the EU today than when you joined.
Since 1/27 > 1/28.

We are special in the EU in that we are the only people who have left.
Who demonstrably couldn't care less about our ranking within the EU.

Baff

Quote from: Thomas on October 30, 2020, 07:36:14 AM
He still is a scottish tory baff. There are many scottish tories within the snp , along with those whose natural home would be parties like labour , liberals etc etc. The snp is a very broad church of likeminded people who support scottish independence.

As for jaydee voting for brexit , i would be surprised, but if he did , then he is in a tiny minority when two thirds of scotland voted remain.

There you go.

He really did.
He voted for it and he got it.

Nor is 1/3 a tiny minority in my book, nor is someone who votes SNP a Tory.

The comedy here is not what he voted, it's why.

He quite literally wanted the UK to leave the EU so that he had something to moan about.
He voted for it and he got it!

Sheepy

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 04:27:46 PM
I seem to have joined some parallel universe again. You can't just conjure up figures without proof but let's be honest you have no definite idea if what you have posted is true or not.  That has to be a last ditch scream of terror and frustration as Remain finally sinks beneath the quicksands of obfuscation and delirium.
LOL it will be a pleasure giving them yet another lesson in democracy, just like I said before all the others. Even Joe has seen the light, don't disrespect democracy, or we will come down on you like a ton of bricks.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Javert

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 04:27:46 PMI seem to have joined some parallel universe again. You can't just conjure up figures without proof but let's be honest you have no definite idea if what you have posted is true or not.  That has to be a last ditch scream of terror and frustration as Remain finally sinks beneath the quicksands of obfuscation and delirium.

No it's from a Yougov poll that was linked on Twitter yesterday - I'm sure you can find it very easily on Google.

The poll is mentioned in this article for example.

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/yougov-poll-on-brexit-regret-141476

Also several other recent polls showed 50% against Brexit of ALL people who answered the question.  i.e. this is not just 50% of those who said yes or no, but 50% of everybody who answered at all - that's a very strong result for any polling question.

If you honestly believe that anything like half of UK people still support Brexit, I would suggest you check out recent polling data.

I'm am not in terror or frustration as I have various contingency plans in place and I've already accepted long ago that Brexit will go ahead an most likely be a no deal - in fact I think the no deal Brexit is the best option as it's the shortest way to rejoin when people see the reality of it over the next 5 years or so.

Brexit represents the democratic will of the UK people  as of 2016, but certainly not the opinion of UK people today in 2020.  As I'm sure you'll point out though, it's too late know, and "act in haste, repent at leisure" comes to mind.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert on October 30, 2020, 04:19:43 PM
Just a point of order that "we" doesn't mean all UK people.

62% of voters in the UK now think that Brexit was a mistake in hindsight, and well over 50% of people think that is should not have gone ahead, and also that it should have been delayed into next year.

The hardline Brexit people in the government and their supporters, many of whom stand to make a huge one off profit from the finalisation of Brexit (at the long term cost of working class UK people), are determined to go ahead in December because they know that any delay will simply mean that in 6 months, 70% of people will want to cancel Brexit.

So it depends what you mean by "we".

And before you say it, I'm not campaigning to stop leaving the EU as we already left.  I am simply one of the significant majority of UK people who continues to think that Brexit was, and is, a mistake.

I seem to have joined some parallel universe again. You can't just conjure up figures without proof but let's be honest you have no definite idea if what you have posted is true or not.  That has to be a last ditch scream of terror and frustration as Remain finally sinks beneath the quicksands of obfuscation and delirium.

Javert

Quote from: cromwell on October 30, 2020, 12:41:25 PMNo you got that wrong it's "life Jim but not as we know it" I just wish someone would beam you up because you just don't get we are leaving don't care that you believe we're doomed or that crap that we are the eu and the eu are us........it's all bollocks and before long you will find you aren't as important as you believe.

Just a point of order that "we" doesn't mean all UK people.

62% of voters in the UK now think that Brexit was a mistake in hindsight, and well over 50% of people think that is should not have gone ahead, and also that it should have been delayed into next year.

The hardline Brexit people in the government and their supporters, many of whom stand to make a huge one off profit from the finalisation of Brexit (at the long term cost of working class UK people), are determined to go ahead in December because they know that any delay will simply mean that in 6 months, 70% of people will want to cancel Brexit.

So it depends what you mean by "we".

And before you say it, I'm not campaigning to stop leaving the EU as we already left.  I am simply one of the significant majority of UK people who continues to think that Brexit was, and is, a mistake.

GerryT

Quote from: Borchester on October 30, 2020, 12:42:02 PM
There you are. I think that you have gotten as much mileage out of the Irish Brotherhood (Small Holder and Pig Breeders' branch) as you are likely to get. As you will be the first to admit, trying to prove that the width of the skid marks on Mike Barnier's can be used to forecast the date of the end of the British Empire will be tricky, even for you.

So here we are, girlie rugby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6Npdt3RWA
I meant to say my son joined the same club as her son's.

GerryT

Quote from: cromwell on October 30, 2020, 12:41:25 PMNo you got that wrong it's "life Jim but not as we know it" I just wish someone would beam you up because you just don't get we are leaving don't care that you believe we're doomed or that crap that we are the eu and the eu are us........it's all bollocks and before long you will find you aren't as important as you believe.
I think what your experiencing is the UK isn't as "special" as you thought it was. Not that IRL is "so important", we hold the same level of importance within the EU today as we did the day we joined. An equal. That's what the UK was, an equal but it thought it was more equal than others, if it had only realised it's real position maybe the UK wouldn't have been so disgruntled all these years. A life lesson for when you sail into the sunset, some humility will go a long way.

Sheepy

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 03:21:51 PM
They do love us Irish, that's why their all moving over here
It might be you have so much in common, the love of gambling and watching snakes and ladders on a screen and hope the snakes don't catch up.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

GerryT

Quote from: Sheepy on October 30, 2020, 11:46:43 AMThat made me laugh. The City of London bankers love Gerry.
They do love us Irish, that's why their all moving over here

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 11:09:41 AMI actually feel quite sorry for Ireland. They played what they thought was a good game and for a while I am sure they felt it was all going their way. They had Macron and Merkel's ear and persuaded them of a route to either badly damage us or even keep us in. I said it at the time but Varadkar's body language and face gave him away when both leaders and Barnier visited. He knew just how rocky Ireland's position is and was fearful then that it would take very little for the others to turn. In the end the EU will protect those who are seen as most important and it isn't Ireland I'm afraid. They have already measured Ireland's weakness when they faced the EU bully tactics some years ago.
Regarding brexit outside the UK every country had two things facing them, there's the things the UK does which is out of their control so not worth worrying about and there's the things they can do to better their position. I'm sorry to tell you toots but IRL had one big issue, a border going up on the island of IRL, with the help of our great buddies you mention above that issue has been resolved, no border in IRL, happy days. The UK deciding to shoot itself in the head isn't anything we can control and not really worth worrying about, yes we get splattered with brains but what can you do.
As for yrs ago, IRL got itself into a mess and thanks to the EU they helped us get out. They didn't hit us with high loan interest rates and hefty penalty clauses when we tried to pay the loan back early, like some other country did !

Quote from: T00ts on October 30, 2020, 11:09:41 AMIreland may have felt that they stood with the big boys, but like all bullies they will back down when their own welfare is threatened and they will ditch their 'friends' for the sake of their own wellbeing.
Ireland is a big boy, every small nation in the EU is a big boy. That went for the UK also. But now you've left your relegated to the lower divisions, those days are past. Unless you consider being the big boy in the small pond. Again you demonstrate how you don't understand the EU, I suppose thats to be expected when you come from a country with a history of there always being a rule giver and the rule takers.

GerryT

Quote from: Nick on October 30, 2020, 10:55:22 AMThat's just the same line you trot out to make yourself feel good. We know exactly what we want and it's the exact opposite to what Ireland has. No Euro, no interference from a foreign power, borders that are safe from 2 million unidentified Syrians and out of the cartel. Get it?
Well recent polls say the majority of UK people think brexit was a mistake, is that what you want ?  you'll be happy to hear the same polls don't want to reverse the decision but if they were to do it again they would by majority vote to remain.
You do love your borders I'll admit, one hard one in your country east west and another soft one in Kent, what's next ?
No Euro, That wasn't a problem, ever, tick.
no interference from a foreign power, there never was, "the foreign power" I presume you mean the EU, the UK was the EU, the EU is only what it's members make it. The UK was deciding its own faith, any time it didn't like the direction it could leave which it has. Tick.
borders that are safe from 2 million unidentified Syrians. The UK was always safe, the EU couldn't stop the UK turning Syrians away, you could turn them back when every you wanted and you didn't have to take any in. Tick.
out of the cartel.  A cartel inflates prices. The EU has the most FTA deals of any country, reducing prices, so no it's not a cartel. The EU does protect mainly its food producing industry, which every other country on the planet does. Or is the UK's plan to destroy its food production and leave itself vulnerable.

Borchester

Quote from: GerryT on October 30, 2020, 11:55:33 AM
His sister is far more influential, she lives around the corner from me and my son has just joined the same rugby club as her's.

There you are. I think that you have gotten as much mileage out of the Irish Brotherhood (Small Holder and Pig Breeders' branch) as you are likely to get. As you will be the first to admit, trying to prove that the width of the skid marks on Mike Barnier's can be used to forecast the date of the end of the British Empire will be tricky, even for you.

So here we are, girlie rugby...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh6Npdt3RWA   
Algerie Francais !