General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 08, 2020, 02:00:06 PM
That's correct.

Parliament is sovereign and can undo any domestic legislation it likes.

What it cannot do is undo international agreements without consequence.

If the consequence of the UK not doing what it said it would do is the Irish border can no longer operate substantially as it does now and that negatively affects the peace process you can expect the US to blame the UK with all that entails.

I suspect a Biden adminstration will directly ask the UK to remove the offending parts of the IM bill and reaffirm it's commitment to the GFA by following the NI protocol to the letter.

The UK will then have to weigh up the pros and cons of ignoring a (no doubt politely worded) direct request from the US.

You imply that Biden is right to interfere in our sovereign affairs, in his acceptance speech he said 230 million Americans have died of COVID.  ;D

Good to see you putting your hard earned trust in a man who thought he was running against HW Bush in 1988. I have every faith he won't mess anything up. 👍
+++

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on November 08, 2020, 11:08:47 PM
I was just laughing at a full on nutcase Liberal on the TV, telling us Joe will start by cutting off the American nose to spite its face, whereas in the real world, the Americans are under the Chinese cosh no more or less than everyone else, their economy is under full on attack and the middle class structure is collapsing, this is the time for deals not playing to a bunch of clowns.

Don't you just love those liberals.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2020, 10:56:09 PM
Isn't that the whole structure of law? You're only guilty if you actually do something? It isn't an argument, it's a fact.
You are also dragging the US into this when ultimately there will be a deal between the UK and EU, the bill is there to merely stop the EU from hog-tying us.
I was just laughing at a full on nutcase Liberal on the TV, telling us Joe will start by cutting off the American nose to spite its face, whereas in the real world, the Americans are under the Chinese cosh no more or less than everyone else, their economy is under full on attack and the middle class structure is collapsing, this is the time for deals not playing to a bunch of clowns.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 08, 2020, 07:19:19 PMYou are taking the "it's only illegal if we do it" argument.

Isn't that the whole structure of law? You're only guilty if you actually do something? It isn't an argument, it's a fact.
You are also dragging the US into this when ultimately there will be a deal between the UK and EU, the bill is there to merely stop the EU from hog-tying us.

Sheepy

Its not just anybody who can get backlisted by the Trekkies you know, that makes me very special.

Sheepy

Quote from: cromwell on November 08, 2020, 08:30:34 PM
It's no use Sheeps,he's ignoring you....he told you so   ;D ;D ;D
LOL I know several times. They always say that when they don't have the answer anyway. ::)

cromwell

Quote from: Sheepy on November 08, 2020, 08:10:55 PM
LOL now where have I heard that one before. By the way, the British people voted out and that is what will be happening.

It's no use Sheeps,he's ignoring you....he told you so   ;D ;D ;D
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

LOL now where have I heard that one before. By the way, the British people voted out and that is what will be happening.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Baff on November 08, 2020, 06:27:13 PM
It's gaslighting.

Boris never said anything at all on the matter, you have put the words in his mouth.
That is all.
Boris said "remain is teh roxxers", said a load of remainers.

That is the only reality.
You would have liked him to say this. But he didn't.

This is a story that came from Brussels. Not Westminster.

(shrugs)

If you say so Baff, but it's like denying white is white.
+++

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2020, 06:46:27 PMNice try but changing the question to suit your answer doesn't wash. Adding the word WOULD and therefore the tense changes the question.
Ah, I see.

You are taking the "it's only illegal if we do it" argument.

But if you don't intend to do it, why does it need to be in the IM bill at all?

It's a question of trust with the EU.  The UK needs to convince the EU that it can be trusted to administer a compliant subsidy system.

It also needs the EU and US to trust it to follow the NIP more broadly and (as agreed) administer the EU customs code around NI.

It doesn't reassure thee EU if the UK prepares to break the agreement.

"Trust me love, I'm not going leave you, I'm just setting up a separate bank account and packing my things up for no reason at all."

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 08, 2020, 06:06:26 PM
Good job you're not the You don't agree that the government (specifically the NI secretary) said the IM bill would break international law?

It's a matter of public record.

Or do you disagree with his assessment?

Nice try but changing the question to suit your answer doesn't wash. Adding the word WOULD and therefore the tense changes the question.

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 08, 2020, 05:08:40 PMEven the government admits, in parliament, that the IM bill breaks the NIP.

Baff

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 08, 2020, 06:06:26 PM
Good job you're not the You don't agree that the government (specifically the NI secretary) said the IM bill would break international law?

I disagree with your assessment.
I note that you have taken the comment out of context so as to remove any nuance to what he was saying.
You have misreperesented it to serve your own conflicting agenda.

So lets clarify what he said, he said if the EU breaks the Northern Ireland Protocol, (as it had threatened to do), this bill will allow our response.
A response which although it also breaks the Northern Ireland Protocol, only does so in the limited and specific circumstances that the EU has already done so first.

In short if the EU breaks the Withdrawal Agreement, we shall not continue to act as if we are still bound by it to our detriment.

Which quite frankly is hardly an unreasonable response.

Baff

Quote from: Dynamis on November 08, 2020, 05:27:59 PM

Outrightly denying reality? Fair enough I guess.
It's gaslighting.

Boris never said anything at all on the matter, you have put the words in his mouth.
That is all.
Boris said "remain is teh roxxers", said a load of remainers.

That is the only reality.
You would have liked him to say this. But he didn't.

This is a story that came from Brussels. Not Westminster.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2020, 05:18:33 PMDon't agree, it's like charging someone with murder just cause they own a gun.
Good job you're not the
Quote from: Nick on November 08, 2020, 05:18:33 PMDon't agree, it's like charging someone with murder just cause they own a gun.
You don't agree that the government (specifically the NI secretary) said the IM bill would break international law?

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Baff on November 08, 2020, 04:04:18 PM
No, but many EU supporters have said it for him.
Boringly.

Outrightly denying reality? Fair enough I guess.
+++