General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

BeElBeeBub

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/nov/20/brexit-deal-close-to-being-finalised-eu-ambassadors-told

creeping towards a deal.....

Expect Johnson to make a massive song and dance about how wonderful it is regardless of the contents (and probably carp on about how terrible it is later next year)

of course it could all get derailed at the last moment....

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Dynamis on November 19, 2020, 08:24:32 AMNot sure why rounding would even be necessary, because 50.6 is actually quite far away from 51% when we are around 50%. And we presumably all have at least high school level maths if we're reading poll stats, unless they really think people are thick as custard at YouGov.

Either way it's a poor showing from YouGov, I never have seen a poll before that added up beyond 100% and honestly never thought I would. Never seen another YouGov poll with the same thing by the way.

Polls are often rounded for press releases (think 52/48 when it was 51.8918/48.1081)

Here is an IPSOS poll "infographic"

As you can see both add up to 101%

It's just one of those things.

Borchester

Quote from: Dynamis on November 19, 2020, 08:24:32 AM

Either way it's a poor showing from YouGov, I never have seen a poll before that added up beyond 100% and honestly never thought I would. Never seen another YouGov poll with the same thing by the way.

The problem is that YouGov only pay ten bob a poll, so a lot of their panel have multiple polls. Plus the polls themselves are mixed. Instead of a straight do you like Tories or Labour it tends to be who will you vote for and was the Scotland v Israel match rigged.

It could be that Keir Starmer is in the running for Favourite Allotment Holder of the Year, but I would not rely on YouGov if I were laying a bet
Algerie Francais !

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on November 18, 2020, 06:31:41 PM
As a rule I don't tend to trust any poll that adds up to 101%.

38% right to leave.
51% wrong to leave.
12% unsure.

😂
I guess we shouldn't mention, fake polls followed with fake news then.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Borg Refinery

Quote from: BeElBeeBub on November 19, 2020, 08:15:06 AM
It's not uncommon for that to happen with rounding and 3 options.

37.6 >> 38
50.6 >> 51
11.8 >> 12

Not sure why rounding would even be necessary, because 50.6 is actually quite far away from 51% when we are around 50%. And we presumably all have at least high school level maths if we're reading poll stats, unless they really think people are thick as custard at YouGov.

+++

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Sheepy on November 18, 2020, 11:24:45 AM
All that doesn't make me responsible for every Schizophrenic on the internet Bedbug, they just seem to be getting worse and more confused by the day.
how typical.

When shown the facts responds by inane rambling.

The fact the IMB breaches the WA just by the fact of being passed is there in black and white

But more importantly the EU and US indicate they would regard the passing of the IMB as departing from the WA and respond accordingly (probably by halting other areas of negotiation).

Whether the UK thinks the IMB does or not (and it thinks it does) is irrelevant.

BeElBeeBub

38% right to leave.
51% wrong to leave.
12% unsure.

😂
It's not uncommon for that to happen with rounding and 3 options.

37.6 >> 38
50.6 >> 51
11.8 >> 12

Sheepy

Borg Refinery

38% right to leave.
51% wrong to leave.
12% unsure.

😂

LOL. Ok.. and the same is true in the earlier poll on 4-5th Nov too. That is really bad, but could just be a mistype although they did it twice which even by YouGov standards is terrible.   :D
+++

Nick

Quote from: Dynamis on November 18, 2020, 05:44:36 PMUnless you don't trust The Times or YouGov of course?

38% right to leave.
51% wrong to leave.
12% unsure.

😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Nick on November 18, 2020, 12:07:37 PM
They don't even supply a link to the poll either as far as I can see.

Um. It does.

https://t.co/hjowAP8zYz?amp=1

It's a YouGov Poll for The Times.

Nothing to do with the london economic which is where I spotted it being reposted..

Unless you don't trust The Times or YouGov of course?

We should still do Brexit as that's what people voted for, whether they like it or regret it or not. I wouldn't want us to renege or have a 2nd ref even if the majority did want it.

They should be forced down the route they picked.

Juncker wanted us to sign a WA in 2016 and told us to get lost; people regret it now only because Bojo is messing the country up along with it.
+++

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on November 18, 2020, 01:14:26 PM
As far as we can see Nick, now they are whinging because we won't be part of putting one over on the British people.

Indeed!

I would have thought an 88 seat majority in the last GE should also show this poll to be nonsense.

Sheepy

Quote from: Nick on November 18, 2020, 12:07:37 PM
As far as we can see Nick, now they are whinging because we won't be part of putting one over on the British people.

Nick

Quote from: Sheepy on November 18, 2020, 08:42:15 AM
LOL the London economic. Scraping the barrel somewhat.