General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 06:18:52 PM
I bet you don't go there saying thst uff you say on here, about threatening people, killing people and so on.

There are plenty of others of those opinions, I don't need to join in.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 06:13:52 PM
Despite the idiots on this forum, I am usually made welcome where-ever I go.

I bet you don't go there saying thst uff you say on here, about threatening people, killing people and so on.

However, if you're like that around bikers then that makes sense.   :D :D They are a hundred times worse than you, and I should know as my Dad was one (not just a hobbyist..much much worse...)..
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 06:13:25 PM
Well, what about this part?

"The total cost of treating British citizens under the EHIC scheme is estimated at around £156m by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), so travel insurers will inevitably raise premiums to cope with the increased cost of medical claims."

That seems reasonable to me, but I can ask someone I know who works in insurance and get back to you on that.

Only £156 million? I expected it to be more.

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 06:07:23 PM
For them too I expect.

Despite the idiots on this forum, I am usually made welcome where-ever I go.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on December 13, 2020, 06:05:39 PMThe total cost of treating British citizens under the EHIC scheme is estimated at around £156m by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), so travel insurers will inevitably raise premiums to cope with the increased cost of medical claims.

Well, what about this part?

"The total cost of treating British citizens under the EHIC scheme is estimated at around £156m by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), so travel insurers will inevitably raise premiums to cope with the increased cost of medical claims."

That seems reasonable to me, but I can ask someone I know who works in insurance and get back to you on that.
+++

Borg Refinery

+++

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 05:48:51 PM
The most comprehensive link (the first) states as I posted:

UK tourists visiting the EU without travel insurance after the Brexit transition ends face sky-high medical bills, new Which? Travel research reveals. The government has said that EHIC cards will expire on 31 December 2020 and, although Brexit negotiations between the UK and EU are ongoing, it's unclear whether a replacement scheme will be introduced even with a deal. The European Health Insurance Card allows UK residents to access healthcare at the same cost (often free) as local residents while on holiday. As things stand, after 31 December, UK nationals visiting EU countries will have to pay full price for any medical treatment. Which? has found this will be expensive. Hospital treatment for severe food poisoning can cost £2,000 in Portugal, for instance, while the cost of a heart attack in France can be £14,000. An estimated one in five UK holidaymakers don't take out travel insurance before going abroad, according to ABTA research from 2019, meaning millions of people are at risk of having to pay these medical fees out of their own pockets. Those who do take out insurance will find it is more expensive. The total cost of treating British citizens under the EHIC scheme is estimated at around £156m by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), so travel insurers will inevitably raise premiums to cope with the increased cost of medical claims. For some travellers, such as those with disabilities or pre-existing medical conditions, the cost of travel insurance may become prohibitive after Brexit, while travellers with some conditions may be unable to secure coverage.

THat seems fairly definitive to me, and is based on the soundest research from Which?.

You again are missing the point. Its an article first and foremost about uk travellers without travel insurance ( a minority , probably a few pissed up 20 year olds going on holiday to ibiza or costa del sol on the cheap).The vast majority of uk travellers take out travel insurance.

So its going to affect a minority specifically who travel into the eu.(  20% in 2019 according to your article)

secondly ,the article again is full of words like "unclear".

An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 05:45:32 PM
Frankly where is your evidence for that please, not just your prejudiced ill informed opinion.

Frankly I know a lot of people who travel to Europe on a regular basis and they all have an EHIC card as well as an insurance for what an EHIC card does not cover.

evidence please?

big on claims short on evidence and fact as ever pappy.

papasmurf

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 05:48:51 PM
I don't think a single person from eastbourne was born there (ironically).  :D

I went to Eastbourne once, once was enough.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Thomas on December 13, 2020, 05:37:59 PM
nope thats not what your link says dyno. This is more remainer scaremongering and ifs buts and maybes.

The word "inevitably " isnt used.

heres what your link says...

"possible" ,  "we dont know" , "could".

customers to my knowledge are not treated for free in any european country that doesnt have free at the point of use health system , and as far as im  aware no eu 27 country does. Certainly not France.

The most comprehensive link (the first) states as I posted:

UK tourists visiting the EU without travel insurance after the Brexit transition ends face sky-high medical bills, new Which? Travel research reveals. The government has said that EHIC cards will expire on 31 December 2020 and, although Brexit negotiations between the UK and EU are ongoing, it's unclear whether a replacement scheme will be introduced even with a deal. The European Health Insurance Card allows UK residents to access healthcare at the same cost (often free) as local residents while on holiday. As things stand, after 31 December, UK nationals visiting EU countries will have to pay full price for any medical treatment. Which? has found this will be expensive. Hospital treatment for severe food poisoning can cost £2,000 in Portugal, for instance, while the cost of a heart attack in France can be £14,000. An estimated one in five UK holidaymakers don't take out travel insurance before going abroad, according to ABTA research from 2019, meaning millions of people are at risk of having to pay these medical fees out of their own pockets. Those who do take out insurance will find it is more expensive. The total cost of treating British citizens under the EHIC scheme is estimated at around £156m by the Association of British Insurers (ABI), so travel insurers will inevitably raise premiums to cope with the increased cost of medical claims. For some travellers, such as those with disabilities or pre-existing medical conditions, the cost of travel insurance may become prohibitive after Brexit, while travellers with some conditions may be unable to secure coverage.

THat seems fairly definitive to me, and is based on the soundest research from Which?.

Just saying.

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 13, 2020, 05:39:11 PM
Eastbourne exists  for such people ,by the time they have got up ,walked the promenade and the pier its bed time . 

Yes many of them come down to eastbourne from south london, I don't think a single person from eastbourne was born there (ironically).  :D
+++

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on December 13, 2020, 05:39:11 PM
Eastbourne exists  for such people ,by the time they have got up ,walked the promenade and the pier its bed time .

That is a very nasty comment.
What you are effectively stating is you want millions of people permanently trapped in Britain never to leave it.

papasmurf

Quote from: Thomas on December 13, 2020, 05:21:53 PM

Read my posts dyno , the vast vast majority of uk tourists dont and never have relied on EHIC

Frankly where is your evidence for that please, not just your prejudiced ill informed opinion.
Frankly I know a lot of people who travel to Europe on a regular basis and they all have an EHIC card as well as an insurance for what an EHIC card does not cover.
(In fact a number of  Brits living under the radar in France have been caught out because they were using EHIC cards illegally, they are not for Brits residing in France.)

Streetwalker

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 05:33:17 PM
Fair enough, but as my link says, premiums for private insurance will inevitably rise, ergo it will become more expensive, it even states it could become prohibitively expensive for those with pre existing conditions/elderly/disabled etc. That's the main gist of my point.

Thomas

Quote from: Dynamis on December 13, 2020, 05:33:17 PM
Fair enough, but as my link says, premiums for private insurance will inevitably rise, ergo it will become more expensive, it even states it could become prohibitively expensive for those with pre existing conditions/elderly/disabled etc. That's the main gist of my point.
nope thats not what your link says dyno. This is more remainer scaremongering and ifs buts and maybes.

The word "inevitably " isnt used.

heres what your link says...

Quote Will the cost of travel insurance rise as a result of Brexit?

The price for an existing policies won't change, but it's possible future premiums may go up but we don't know yet. There are a number of factors that could potentially cause us to increase our prices.

An example of one of those factors is the possible loss of EHIC. At the moment some customers are being treated for free in Europe with EHIC, but without it, that cost will be passed on to travel insurers which could force prices up.

"possible" ,  "we dont know" , "could".

customers to my knowledge are not treated for free in any european country that doesnt have free at the point of use health system , and as far as im  aware no eu 27 country does. Certainly not France.

Borg Refinery

Quote from: papasmurf on December 13, 2020, 05:22:06 PM
It isn't just me incessantly complaining about badly behaved tourists this year they have caused serious problems all over the UK not just Cornwall.

I think the French government will get big protests from people in France who depend on the income from the 15 million trips Brits make to France every year.
(There is a currently a plan to let Brits get a French "citizenship" card to get around the problem caused by the loss of the EHIC card and other issues.)

OF course mate, everyone I know in Hastings has been saying about shooting tourists, there was a petition given to Hastings council demanding snipers be installed along the promenade just for this very purpose.
+++