General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

T00ts

Quote from: GerryT on January 11, 2021, 01:17:01 PM
Toots whats needed is a dose of reality. When its understood whats actually happening then you can start planning the future.

For the UK business that exports to the EU that was part of the £295b trade they can now start to have vision while sitting on their butts, many hauliers such as DPD have suspended shipping to the EU because of brexit. Those companies are now holding their breaths, how long can they last ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/08/firms-including-ms-suspend-eu-exports-over-brexit-smallprint

The tariff free trade isn't exactly that as M&S say one third of their exports to their EU stores are being hit with Tariffs.

You are correct people will innovate and create
Govt's are there to help them by removing barriers, the UK Govt is doing the complete opposite, putting up barriers.

The trouble is your view of reality is a bit warped from where I am standing. Perhaps you haven't noticed but there are slightly more pressing problems at the moment. I would rather we were ahead of the EU on vaccinations than paperwork just for now. Paperwork and legislation can wait while we save people first. Unfortunately thus far the EU are doing their usual very slow thought processes and with-holding permission for their membership to buy i their own vaccines. Get us back to work and the rest will quickly evolve.

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on January 11, 2021, 01:17:01 PM

Govt's are there to help them by removing barriers, the UK Govt is doing the complete opposite, putting up barriers.

Quite, effectively the export of fresh fish and live shellfish from the UK to the EU has stopped.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 12:50:38 PM
The numbers in the electorate minus the 17.4 million who voted leave.

Like I said, where did you get 30 million from? I think your a million+ out.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

GerryT

Quote from: T00ts on January 11, 2021, 12:03:18 PM
My thoughts exactly! I am sick and tired of the wailing and gnashing of teeth. People with little or no vision, no determination, no effort. Happy to sit on their butts moaning while others do the work. I just read that it will be the young who come of age during the pandemic and Brexit who will be the real entrepreneurs of the future, and I for one can believe it. I am fed up of the defeatism constantly voiced.

Toots whats needed is a dose of reality. When its understood whats actually happening then you can start planning the future.

For the UK business that exports to the EU that was part of the £295b trade they can now start to have vision while sitting on their butts, many hauliers such as DPD have suspended shipping to the EU because of brexit. Those companies are now holding their breaths, how long can they last ?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/08/firms-including-ms-suspend-eu-exports-over-brexit-smallprint

The tariff free trade isn't exactly that as M&S say one third of their exports to their EU stores are being hit with Tariffs.

You are correct people will innovate and create

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 01:07:10 PM
They are not fictitious, they will have to suffer the consequences of leaving the EU under a Tory government.
The omnishambles is getting worse by the day.

In terms of the democratic vote they are. It's absolutely pointless to judge anything at the moment. We have large numbers of the workforce either off sick or isolating and that's true not just here but across border too. No-one, not even you, can make anything like an educated judgement of Brexit or anything else at this time.

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts on January 11, 2021, 12:54:58 PM
I do wish you would stop dredging up those numbers. They are fictitious in as much as they didn't vote, didn't want to vote, didn't care what was decided and haven't been terribly evident since. On the other hand there was the biggest turn out ever so all those who did care had their say. For goodness sake it's old old old news, let it be.

They are not fictitious, they will have to suffer the consequences of leaving the EU under a Tory government.
The omnishambles is getting worse by the day.

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 12:50:38 PM

I do wish you would stop dredging up those numbers. They are fictitious in as much as they didn't vote, didn't want to vote, didn't care what was decided and haven't been terribly evident since. On the other hand there was the biggest turn out ever so all those who did care had their say. For goodness sake it's old old old news, let it be.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 11, 2021, 12:44:54 PM
Where the hell do you get 30 million from? Another made up number.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 11:32:46 AM
That is a very crass comment.  I think over 30 million people leaving Britain would have severe consequences.

Where the hell do you get 30 million from? Another made up number.

I'll tell you a real number: 56.5%, the percentage that voted leave in Cornwall 😆.

T00ts

Quote from: johnofgwent on January 11, 2021, 11:48:43 AM

I'm not so sure.

I'm pretty sure the country would be a lot better off now if rather a lot of the fundamentalist remainers who founded "bollix to brexit" and the various politicians who actively conspired to derail the will of the people had either pissed off or been forcibly ejected from the UK

We would have been out a lot sooner, and servicing a massively lower population, including huge swathes of multicultural London, for a start.

My thoughts exactly! I am sick and tired of the wailing and gnashing of teeth. People with little or no vision, no determination, no effort. Happy to sit on their butts moaning while others do the work. I just read that it will be the young who come of age during the pandemic and Brexit who will be the real entrepreneurs of the future, and I for one can believe it. I am fed up of the defeatism constantly voiced.

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 11:32:46 AM
That is a very crass comment.  I think over 30 million people leaving Britain would have severe consequences.

I'm not so sure.

I'm pretty sure the country would be a lot better off now if rather a lot of the fundamentalist remainers who founded "bollix to brexit" and the various politicians who actively conspired to derail the will of the people had either pissed off or been forcibly ejected from the UK

We would have been out a lot sooner, and servicing a massively lower population, including huge swathes of multicultural London, for a start.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 11, 2021, 11:29:34 AM
It's called democracy, and they've had 4 1/2 years to move to one of the 27 remaining countries.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 11:25:08 AM
I am not moaning. The leavers got their way they must suffer the consequences, unfortunately those who did not vote leave or abstained will have to suffer those consequences as well.

It's called democracy, and they've had 4 1/2 years to move to one of the 27 remaining countries. 

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 11, 2021, 11:18:32 AM
It was the biggest turnout in history so stop moaning.

I am not moaning. The leavers got their way they must suffer the consequences, unfortunately those who did not vote leave or abstained will have to suffer those consequences as well.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 11, 2021, 10:05:36 AM
It should have,  but the torrent of lies, bullshine, and propaganda from both sides made it impossible for millions of people to make a decision.
(Now that project fear has turned out to be reality I suspect many of those are regretting not voting.)
It was the biggest turnout in history so stop moaning.