General Brexit discussion thread

Started by cromwell, October 27, 2019, 09:01:29 PM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2021, 08:20:04 PM
Lower costs. (It isn't rocket science.)
Don't be a cop out. How? Fuel is the same price.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2021, 08:12:31 PM
You still need to explain why fishing is cheaper in Spain. Your words not mine.

Lower costs. (It isn't rocket science.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2021, 07:39:58 PM
You don't need to explain that, thanks.  The price depends on how much is landed. It can down to next to bugger all if a lot is landed.

Also mackerel has bugger all to do with the export of fresh fish and live shell fish to the EU being at a standstill. That is 100% Brexit.
You still need to explain why fishing is cheaper in Spain. Your words not mine.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2021, 06:59:18 PM

BTW, as I've explained Mackerel are only around for a few months, their price isn't a seasonal thing.

You don't need to explain that, thanks.  The price depends on how much is landed. It can down to next to bugger all if a lot is landed.

Also mackerel has bugger all to do with the export of fresh fish and live shell fish to the EU being at a standstill. That is 100% Brexit.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2021, 06:30:37 PM
Frankly if you don't know landed fish prices vary wildly over the year and from country to country I am wasting my time.
Have you every been to a coastal fish market in Spain, France, or Portugal.  They are massive and near the fish docks, no transport costs, and the fishing costs are lower as well.

Coastal location has nothing to do with it, my prices are based on average seafood prices in supermarkets.
You need to explain how and why fishing costs are cheaper in Spain. You then need to go to Padstow and explain to UK fishermen how to half their fishing costs.

BTW, as I've explained Mackerel are only around for a few months, their price isn't a seasonal thing.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2021, 05:28:52 PM
What you should be saying is fish isn't cheap in the UK, but it is in Spain and France for example. How is that unless we are being overcharged? Something that I can't get PS to answer, funny that, someone not answering the direct questions in a forum when they don't have the answer.

Frankly if you don't know landed fish prices vary wildly over the year and from country to country I am wasting my time.
Have you every been to a coastal fish market in Spain, France, or Portugal.  They are massive and near the fish docks, no transport costs, and the fishing costs are lower as well.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2021, 05:24:16 PM
You don't get Mackerel around Cornwall in January, they don't appear until Spring.

ASDA, ASDA, ASDA !!!

Fish counter shut, and nearest on 25 miles from me, and they won't be locally caught.

Nick

Quote from: GerryT on January 17, 2021, 03:12:21 PMIf you read what I said Fish isn't cheap

What you should be saying is fish isn't cheap in the UK, but it is in Spain and France for example. How is that unless we are being overcharged? Something that I can't get PS to answer, funny that, someone not answering the direct questions in a forum when they don't have the answer.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2021, 03:18:15 PM
When Mackerel are caught depends where you live in Britain. (Cornish catches have been well down for a couple of years but they are usually available until January.
Where did you get the UK price for fresh mackerel?

You don't get Mackerel around Cornwall in January, they don't appear until Spring.

ASDA, ASDA, ASDA !!!

Thomas

Quote from: GerryT on January 17, 2021, 03:12:21 PM
If you read what I said Fish isn't cheap, if your looking for fresh & not frozen. Frozen is cheap, you can get it from anywhere.

Doesnt matter and is irrelevant to the point. Streetwalker has already said fish inst cheap , wether its fresh or frozen .

QuoteI think your getting confused, IRL fought for independence from a cruel invader to our lands. A dominating force that held local people down while they sucked the country of it's resources. Our language was taken, land was taken, a genocide killed 1 million and another million had to leave. You can't compare that to the EU where the UK was on it's knees and membership brought it fortune, the UK prospered as part of the EU and leaving was so simple, hand in a piece of paper and 2yrs later your out, but even then the UK didn't want to leave and asked for extensions

rubbish. Again a diversion and irrelevant to my point.

Dont lecture me about history one minute , then tell me not to talk about it the next. I have already had to teach you irish history in the past , which promted you to run away squealing about not talking about history.

The fact remains , if a nation doesnt want to be part of a larger entity , then they have the right to leave , which the english have done.

End of story.

Many countires have appeared over the last hundred years or more that peacefully left larger states without issue , without any bleating about cruel invaders and genoicide , so why cant the english?

Too bad if you dont like it , nothing to do with you is it?
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

papasmurf

Quote from: GerryT on January 17, 2021, 03:12:21 PM

But you are right, more time is needed to see how brexit pans out, so what we can say is so far it's a disaster, whether it gets worse or better we have to wait and see.

It is a disaster so far with the government doing bugger all about apart from being in denial.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2021, 03:02:35 PM
Please start reading what people post before posting, I told you Mackerel are a summer fish so correct, none are being caught.

What about the fact that the UK is overpricing their catch therefore it's been priced off the table? And Spain's fish is half the price we pay.

When Mackerel are caught depends where you live in Britain. (Cornish catches have been well down for a couple of years but they are usually available until January.
Where did you get the UK price for fresh mackerel?

GerryT

Quote from: Thomas on January 17, 2021, 08:58:30 AMCan you not read?
Why are you telling streetwalker fish isnt cheap when thats what he is hinting at when he says this in his post..
If you read what I said Fish isn't cheap, if your looking for fresh & not frozen. Frozen is cheap, you can get it from anywhere. But as the UK industry was in the high value end of the market, was it a brexit goal to move into the low end of the market, I don't think so.

Quote from: Thomas on January 17, 2021, 08:58:30 AM17 days into the uk being out the eu , in the midst of the covid 19 pandemic which is overshadowing everything worldwide , and causing massive economic damage , you can tell us brexit is a disaster?
In light of the short time scale and the fact covid has stolen the wind out of your sails gerry , you can't possibly tell the uk brexit is a disaster. It will take years to quantify brexit , and of course there is going to be ups and downs along the way until everything settles down.
Independence for ireland at the beginning of the twentieth century was of course an economic disaster.
From memory it took half a century till things started improving , but that didnt stop the irish wanting independence . Whens the irish coming back under control of westmisnter gerry if independence is such a bad thing for countries?
Granted, stings might improve, but more likely they will get a lot worse, shipping is way down partly due to the stockpiling before Christmas, truck drives looking for near ten fold increase in payment to cover all the delays and now it seem's they are being charged £50 an hr for waiting in the kent car park. No lorry driver will want to goto the UK.
I think your getting confused, IRL fought for independence from a cruel invader to our lands. A dominating force that held local people down while they sucked the country of it's resources. Our language was taken, land was taken, a genocide killed 1 million and another million had to leave. You can't compare that to the EU where the UK was on it's knees and membership brought it fortune, the UK prospered as part of the EU and leaving was so simple, hand in a piece of paper and 2yrs later your out, but even then the UK didn't want to leave and asked for extensions.

Quote from: Thomas on January 17, 2021, 08:58:30 AMThere have been 34 new countires in the last thirty years alone , never mind the hundreds that have appeared over a longer period.
If the economic status quo maintained the world without any change , and peurile arguments about change bringing disaster worked , then the world would never ever change.
You simply dont understand people , and think numbers and economics trump everything else.
No I don't. I advocate that people decide their future, It's why I say the people of NI will decide when they hold a vote for uniting Ireland, or if they become their own country. It's why I have also said Scotland will decide when it wants to and it shouldn't have to ask permission.
Don't confuse me saying brexit is a bad direction, not because people voted for it, but because it was based on lies. the UK politicians and rag press have been blaming the EU on UK failings for decades. Some mythical notion on sovereignty, which I have asked but nobody here has explained what that means.

But you are right, more time is needed to see how brexit pans out, so what we can say is so far it's a disaster, whether it gets worse or better we have to wait and see.

Nick

Quote from: papasmurf on January 17, 2021, 01:05:56 PMEffectively no Mackerel at all being caught in Cornwall

Please start reading what people post before posting, I told you Mackerel are a summer fish so correct, none are being caught.

What about the fact that the UK is overpricing their catch therefore it's been priced off the table? And Spain's fish is half the price we pay.

papasmurf

Quote from: Nick on January 17, 2021, 12:50:38 PM
The prices don't change over time for the simple fact the Mackerel are a summer fish and are only about for a few months, with the big pilot fish coming first with all the small ones behind.

£6.52/Kg at Asda, which is one of the cheapest.

Just been talking to the "Oracle." (Local fisherman, retired Lifeboat Coxswain.) Effectively no Mackerel at all being caught in Cornwall. Which is what I thought anyway at this time of year. Oddly locally  a lot of bass being caught. (One local boat caught over a tonne.) The bass are chasing anchovy shoals.
Most of the deep sea boats are "gathering dust."
Fresh fish and live crab export is at a standstill.
However one large fish/shellfish wholesaler is cooking and processing crab, and employing 50 women to do it.
In other words confusing picture.