Main Menu

The roof

Started by Borchester, July 23, 2020, 02:34:09 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on July 24, 2020, 12:44:36 PM
So I think the best idea is a pyre of broken pallets on the allotment.

Ah yes, the Dr Price (?) of Llantrisant approach.

You can in fact bury a body on any land you own. You just have to make sure the coroner has actually recorded the death first. Theonly people who can stop you are the water board if there is evidence decomposition will contaminate a nearby water source. Aside from that, any plantings made within a certain distance of the grave must be regarded as "permanent"
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 23, 2020, 08:56:07 PM
Quote from: Borchester on July 23, 2020, 06:48:18 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on July 23, 2020, 02:54:20 PM
£7000 is cheap.

But not as cheap as me.

I will wait a bit and then start looking for a second hand scaffolding tower.

what ? You're thinking of a sky burial or having your corpse hing from a cage like they used to do with pirates ?

Oh. Hang on, you're still on about the roof repairs not the funeral expenses aren't you ...

Not a bad idea and it might save a few bob. The only problem is the local kites are fussy eaters and the foxes won't be able to climb the scaffolding. That will mean that I might be around for quite a bit and Madam won't be able to flog the tower. So I think the best idea is a pyre of broken pallets on the allotment.
Algerie Francais !

johnofgwent

£7000 is cheap.

But not as cheap as me.

what ? You're thinking of a sky burial or having your corpse hing from a cage like they used to do with pirates ?

Oh. Hang on, you're still on about the roof repairs not the funeral expenses aren't you ...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

But not as cheap as me.

A cheap new one is only £250
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Good old

£7000 is cheap.

But not as cheap as me.

After the stroke you pulled regarding front wall, maybe you should be known as ,"The Fiddler on the Roof"?  8)

Borchester

£7000 is cheap.

But not as cheap as me.

Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 23, 2020, 02:46:00 PM
Last time I was on a roof  I ended up waking up on the ground after the stepladder that was on the bandstands that was on the scaffolding sort of toppled over as I was stretching up to nail the ridge .

Lucky it was a Bungalow

I am not saying that you are wrong Streetwalker, but Madam reckons that even if I do end up dead the 6,498 pounds would not only pay for the funeral but leave a fair few bob over. She is a lovely girl, but very frugal
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

Last time I was on a roof  I ended up waking up on the ground after the stepladder that was on the bandstands that was on the scaffolding sort of toppled over as I was stretching up to nail the ridge .

Lucky it was a Bungalow 

Borchester

So we had the builder round and he said yes, he could see that the roof needed attention and that he could do the whole job for telephone  numbers so Madam started haggling and got him down to 7000 pounds. And I said that the roof hadn't leaked in 112 years so what was the rush? But no one was taking any notice of me so I went up into the loft, turned the light on and then went into the street to check for any light leaking past broken tiles.

I found a couple which can wait until I get around to buying a scaffolding tower and a couple of roof ladders. Which means that I have save us around 6,500 pounds. So Madam said that I was very clever and bought a two pound cake from Iceland by way of celebration.

Considering that we are at least 6,498 pounds ahead I thought that I deserved better than that but she has assured me that I don't so that is that settled
:)
Algerie Francais !