World Peace

Started by Baron von Lotsov, October 28, 2019, 04:20:19 AM

« previous - next »

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry post_id=24819 time=1589565726 user_id=51
You can't argue with Jesus's words as quoted by Matthew.

However, you need to read the words of Jesus in Matthew 254

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24&version=WYC">//https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24&version=WYC

to know that praying for peace is fine, but is not in God's will.

6 Pray ye those things, that be to the peace of Jerusalem; and abundance be to them that love thee. (Pray ye for the peace of Jerusalem; and say, May those who love thee prosper, or have great abundance.)

7 Peace be made in thy strength; and abundance in thy towers. (May there be peace within thy strongholds, or thy fortresses; and prosperity within thy palaces.)

8 For my brethren and my neighbours; I spake peace of thee. (For the sake of my brothers, or my kinsmen, and my neighbours; I say, Peace be with thee.)

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+122&version=WYC&interface=amp">https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?s ... erface=amp">https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+122&version=WYC&interface=amp

QuoteThere will never be peace until Christ returns and the rebellion is put down.

Agreed but there are many refs in the new and OT that ref praying for peace (ie as you say, for his return).
+++

Barry

You can't argue with Jesus's words as quoted by Matthew.

However, you need to read the words of Jesus in Matthew 254

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24&version=WYC">//https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+24&version=WYC

to know that praying for peace is fine, but is not in God's will.

There will never be peace until Christ returns and the rebellion is put down.
† The end is nigh †

Borg Refinery

Quote from: Barry post_id=2761 time=1572269186 user_id=51
Now I'm puzzled, because many of the things you have written in the past suggest that you are a Bible believer. This idea that peace will win out is contrary to Biblical prophecy.

Daniel 9 says that war will continue until the end.

Matthew 24 says that there will be wars and rumours of wars.

Revelation 16 mentions the battle of Armageddon.

If you believe Bible prophecy, the end comes after wars and more wars.

I think you are probably right, but we should seek and pray for peace regardless.

Matthew WYC

34 Do not ye deem, that I came to send peace into earth [Do not ye deem, that I came to send peace into the earth]; I came not to send peace, but sword.

35 For I came to part a man against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the son's wife against the husband's mother;

36 and the enemies of a man be they, that be at home with him.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me, is not worthy of me. And he that loveth son or daughter more than me, is not worthy to me [is not worthy of me].

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth me, is not worthy to me [is not worthy of me].

39 He that findeth his life, shall lose it; and he that loseth his life for me, shall find it.

----

Somewhere in Chrysostom's liturgy it goes
QuoteὙπὲρ τῆς εἰρήνης τοῦ σύμπαντος κόσμου, εὐσταθείας τῶν ἁγίων τοῦ Θεοῦ Ἐκκλησιῶν καὶ τῆς τῶν πάντων ἑνώσεως, τοῦ Κυρίου δεηθῶμεν.

"For the peace of the whole world, the welfare of the Holy Churches, for the union of all, let us pray to the Lord"
+++

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=7512 time=1574814657 user_id=63
I do not believe my grand daughter will see a world at peace.

I do not believe any such thing is possible

I believe there are too many wanting the world to surrender to their way of doing things....

The last century has seen rule by Uncle Sam and his wild west gunslinging hero style, where death is seen as a result.

The next century will be what Confucius say.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=7554 time=1574856362 user_id=75
Love Arthur C. Clarke and the TV mini-series of that book wasn't bad either but I disgress.

Sadly I have to agree. Just think what we could do with the resources and manpower which is wasted on conflict.

Ah but is it wasted.

Would we be remotely as technologically advanced were it not necessary to find better ways to kill those we do not wish to be subjected to the whim of ...

Would we have half the medicines we have ?

The people whose job it is to haul your sorry half drowned arse out of the sea or half frozen arse off a mountain are not there to do that. They are there to retrieve the "rough men that stand ready" and you are just a training drill and if one of those rough men needs their help as they rush to rescue you, you will be left to die.

I speak as one who has provided part of all three of the above. Funded for two by a government keen to protect its huge investment in those rough men. I worked on the mechanism of counteracting nerve toxins and poisons, and on radar and missile systems.

And as a scuba diver and my daughter as a kayaker worked directly with those rescue services to haul said half drowned sorry arse's from the reapers grasp, and helped the mountain rescue guys train....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: T00ts post_id=7524 time=1574844648 user_id=54
I cannot imagine how it feels to live this life with so little hope as revealed in some of the posts on this thread. What we see in the world today is foretold quite clearly and yes these are difficult times, but being certain that there is a future which will be peaceful even though we know it is going to get worse before it gets better, is a source of not only peace but certainty that there is purpose to what we now experience.

It makes me so sad that so many are unable to accept what I see as a profound truth and the reason for our existence.

The thing is that over in China it is getting better all the time for everyone. I really don't think people quite grasp what this entails. Go and speak to any of them and ask, are you better off now than 10, 20 years ago, and they will say oh yes, with a big grin. They mean it as well. People think all good stuff is fake, Most likely by their exposure to advertising when it normally is. Well these guys are living the dream and they all feel optimistic. Ask, will you ever go back to how you were, and it's a big no, does not make any sense to. I think if we go back to about 1870 there was the same spirit in our country. You can often tell by the art. Some art looks dark, like the 1930s was a dark period, but I think prior to the WW1 our country was buzzing. In a way they were better off not knowing what was around the corner. They would not have felt nearly as happy. Of course someone had to spoil the party.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Churchill

I agree, but man managed to kill others by the thousands to get what they wanted long before the weapons we have today came about, sadly that will never change IMO
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Ciaphas

Quote from: Churchill post_id=7558 time=1574858041 user_id=69
IMO the rapid advancement of travel by air from the first manned flight by the Wright Brothers came about after WW1 and WW2 when they say how efficient a war machine an aircraft was

Arms dealing profits and arms races undoutedly drive faster development of technologies but I don't think the butchers bill is worth it.

Just to be clear I'm not suggesting you do.

Churchill

IMO the rapid advancement of travel by air from the first manned flight by the Wright Brothers came about after WW1 and WW2 when they say how efficient a war machine an aircraft was
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Ciaphas

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=7513 time=1574815060 user_id=63
Ah you've read that book too. ..

It is for the reason that you specify that the reality as misquoted and mistakenly attributed to Orwell regarding "rough men standing ready to do violence in the night in our name to those who wish us harm" (and that is itself a rewrite of the actual words misquoted) ...  is not fiction but fact.

I speak as one responsible for ensuring the roughest and most destructive violence known to man could be rained down on those who wished my fellow citizens harm

And we will never be rid of the need for it

Love Arthur C. Clarke and the TV mini-series of that book wasn't bad either but I disgress.

Sadly I have to agree. Just think what we could do with the resources and manpower which is wasted on conflict.

Churchill

Quote from: T00ts post_id=7524 time=1574844648 user_id=54
I cannot imagine how it feels to live this life with so little hope as revealed in some of the posts on this thread. What we see in the world today is foretold quite clearly and yes these are difficult times, but being certain that there is a future which will be peaceful even though we know it is going to get worse before it gets better, is a source of not only peace but certainty that there is purpose to what we now experience.

It makes me so sad that so many are unable to accept what I see as a profound truth and the reason for our existence.

I always have hope, sadly not much when it come to world peace as they say " There is nothing more queer than folk"

T00ts

Churchill

Quote from: johnofgwent post_id=7512 time=1574814657 user_id=63

I believe there are too many wanting the world to surrender to their way of doing things....

I agree I feel the same

johnofgwent

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=7047 time=1574460152 user_id=75
There is always some dick out their willing and able to use violence to further their goals making it neccessary for everyone else to be willing and able to commit violence to protect themselves.

Short of benevolent alien overlords like in Childhoods End who can intimidate the dicks into behaving themselves there won't ever be lasting peace.

Ah you've read that book too. ..

It is for the reason that you specify that the reality as misquoted and mistakenly attributed to Orwell regarding "rough men standing ready to do violence in the night in our name to those who wish us harm" (and that is itself a rewrite of the actual words misquoted) ...  is not fiction but fact.

I speak as one responsible for ensuring the roughest and most destructive violence known to man could be rained down on those who wished my fellow citizens harm

And we will never be rid of the need for it
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=2948 time=1572371078 user_id=74
Perhaps you would like to make a contribution then.