One crazy trick to avoid extension

Started by BeElBeeBub, October 28, 2019, 10:15:46 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: Borchester post_id=3595 time=1572700103 user_id=62
Only if you are very childish Tommy.

Rugby, like any other sport, is about winning, but it is also about congratulating the other side when you lose. Until you realise that the Scotland will be reduced to collecting wooden spoons and dreaming of the time it made it to the quarter finals nearly thirty years ago.

Circa 6 years old. 😂
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Thomas

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIXPebnXUAAqNp4.jpg">

:lol:  :lol:  :D

Better luck in the elections bojo. :lol:
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Borchester post_id=3595 time=1572700103 user_id=62

Rugby, like any other sport, is about winning, but it is also about congratulating the other side when you lose. Until you realise that the Scotland will be reduced to collecting wooden spoons and dreaming of the time it made it to the quarter finals nearly thirty years ago.

Now now borkie , you were happy to give it out to me on the sport thread when scotland lost , i took it on the chin  wihtout bleating about you being childish , and now here we are borkie crying into his morris dancing bells.

QuoteRugby, like any other sport, is about winning,
...and you lost.  :lol:

Not only lost , but got pumped with two of the best trys of the entire tournament.  There are 195 countries on this earth , of which 10 take rugby seriously , and maybe 5 had the possibility of winning the rugby world cup , and still the morris dancers couldnt win. :lol:

Take it on the chin old yin , wooden spoon time again.

Quotebut it is also about congratulating the other side when you lose.

Well i have to say the england team players and management are remaining very dignified in the face of unrelenting english media attempts to blame the team bus being late on the loss :-P

Pity the poor driver though.

QuoteUntil you realise that the Scotland will be reduced to collecting wooden spoons and dreaming of the time it made it to the quarter finals nearly thirty years ago.

but as i said last year in the football world cup auld yin , what matters is winning , not how far you got or wether you nearly  made it yet again.

no one remembers a loser , or wether you get the wooden spoon in the group stage or final , you are still a loser.

Get it right up ye. :dncg: All so feckin predictable after the piss taking about scotland , england cant take their medicine back.

Borchester

Quote from: Thomas post_id=3593 time=1572698913 user_id=58

May i take this opportunity to express my sincere congratulations to south africa for winning the rugby world cup , and humping england in the process.

Algerie Francais !

Thomas

Forum seems to have went very quiet.

i guess its all the doom and gloom about england getting the wooden spoon yet again .

May i take this opportunity to express my sincere congratulations to south africa for winning the rugby world cup , and humping england in the process.

Well done the springboks. :dncg:

Thomas

https://indyposterboy.scot/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/scotlands_oil_fund-600x432.jpg">

Thomas

Quote from: Javert post_id=3590 time=1572697611 user_id=64
Well it does matter if someone has a completely unrealistically low idea of how much a parliament should cost to run.

REf Beelbeeb's numbers on how much it costs to run the UK parliament, what happens if you add in all the cost of repairing the HOC in the next few years?

well said javert , of which the scottish taxpayer , again , will be forced to subsidise the cost of repairing your countries parliament.

Just like we were forced to pay for the london olympics , while london didnt have to pay for the glasgow commonwelath games ,and were forced to pay for london crossrail , londons hs2 , london sewage system etc etc.

Funny how people in england dont want to pay for the eu , but expect us europeans to pay for them?

Javert

Quote from: Nick post_id=3497 time=1572636823 user_id=73
We don't care about other sovereign parliaments around the world, they can do what they please. When we are paying for it it is our business.

Well it does matter if someone has a completely unrealistically low idea of how much a parliament should cost to run.

REf Beelbeeb's numbers on how much it costs to run the UK parliament, what happens if you add in all the cost of repairing the HOC in the next few years?

Sheepy

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=3521 time=1572647073 user_id=88
I'm getting no better luck with my MP. Sends me enthusiastic circular emails about how great brexit will be but fails to answer any of my questions.

Still the cost per MEP is not wildly out if whack for what it costs to have a Parliament in the first place

We could save a little bit of money (about 50p per week per UK tax payer) if we got rid of it and went back to all decisions on EU matters being decided by our governments and the commission (which is effectively by all our governments as they ultimately appoint the commission).

But then what would poor Nigel have done for a living these last 20 years?

Nice try at deflection,no it isn't anything like value for money.In fact is an absolute joke and watching you trying to defend it is hilarious.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry post_id=3500 time=1572637679 user_id=51
Also bear in mind BEBB that I lived abroad for many years and each time I contacted my MEPs I was ignored, so they don't actually serve anyone. They just serve themselves.

I'm getting no better luck with my MP. Sends me enthusiastic circular emails about how great brexit will be but fails to answer any of my questions.

Still the cost per MEP is not wildly out if whack for what it costs to have a Parliament in the first place

We could save a little bit of money (about 50p per week per UK tax payer) if we got rid of it and went back to all decisions on EU matters being decided by our governments and the commission (which is effectively by all our governments as they ultimately appoint the commission).

But then what would poor Nigel have done for a living these last 20 years?

Sheepy

Absolute bargain Barry I mean a couple of million quid for a politician.Bargain,who cares if they ignore you.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Barry

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=3498 time=1572636968 user_id=88
Bear in mind that an MEP serves a little under 10x constituents as an MP, so it's not surprising that there are some extra costs eg translation, travel.

Also bear in mind BEBB that I lived abroad for many years and each time I contacted my MEPs I was ignored, so they don't actually serve anyone. They just serve themselves.
† The end is nigh †

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Javert post_id=3494 time=1572635501 user_id=64
What about the cost of other parliaments around the world?  How does it compare?  Just quoting the cost on its own doesn't mean a lot without something to compare it to.

That said, I think the fact that they have 2 separate buildings and decamp from one to the other regularly is a bit ridiculous and unnecessary - I'm not sure what the reasons are for that.

It goes back to the original founding treaties in the 50 and 60's.  Basically there was an argument I've where the parliament should be and it was fudged. It would be in Brussels but they would vote in Strasbourg

There is a key point here.

This set up is part of the treaties. In order to change it requires the unanimous agreement of all members including the French.  In effect the French have a veto on removing it.

So even though everyone agrees it's daft, not least the MEPs who have to schlep back and forth, it stays in.

So something baked into the treaties is *really* hard to remove unless all agree.

Some examples of things baked in to the treaties....

UK opt out of €

UK opt out of Schengen

UK justice opt outs

UK opt out of any defence agreement (EU army ahem)

Changing from unanimity to QMV

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry post_id=3478 time=1572629171 user_id=51
Sorry, 2.3 million €uros per MEP

That makes more sense!

For comparison the UK Parliament costs about £550m a year - currently about €640. This works out just under €1m per MP (rounded up for simplicity).

So an MEP costs a little over 2x what an MP costs.

Bear in mind that an MEP serves a little under 10x constituents as an MP, so it's not surprising that there are some extra costs eg translation, travel.

The *entire* budget for the EU governance (not just Parliament but comission etc) is around €9.6bn (£8.3bn) whilst the adminstration costs for the UK are are around the £16bn mark (iirc the salary hill for civil servants alone is over £10bn).

Nick

Quote from: Javert post_id=3494 time=1572635501 user_id=64
What about the cost of other parliaments around the world?  How does it compare?  Just quoting the cost on its own doesn't mean a lot without something to compare it to.

That said, I think the fact that they have 2 separate buildings and decamp from one to the other regularly is a bit ridiculous and unnecessary - I'm not sure what the reasons are for that.

We don't care about other sovereign parliaments around the world, they can do what they please. When we are paying for it it is our business.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.