One crazy trick to avoid extension

Started by BeElBeeBub, October 28, 2019, 10:15:46 AM

« previous - next »

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=2977 time=1572375632 user_id=88
Sorry which bit are you saying got voted into law?  The referendum or a50?

It got voted to trigger A50.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick post_id=2962 time=1572373618 user_id=73
It went to the house and MP's voted it into law so stop this advisory nonsense.

Sorry which bit are you saying got voted into law?  The referendum or a50?

Barry

Quote from: Nick post_id=2962 time=1572373618 user_id=73

Exactly  :hattip
† The end is nigh †

Nick

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=2959 time=1572373273 user_id=88
the point is his pledge that "the government would implement the decision" is often used as an argument why we *must* brexit despite the referendum being advisory in law.

DC did not have the authority to make an advisory referendum binding on anyone but himself.  Even then it was purely a matter of his conscience if he broke his pledge or not.

I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2928 time=1572363838 user_id=54
Indeed - my fury got the better of me! I meant of course Remainers!!!!   :roll:
sorry, haven't you heard? nobody is allowed change their mind anymore.....

:dncg:

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Barry post_id=2949 time=1572371122 user_id=51
Exactly. His government no longer exists. He ran away like a scolded cat. So it was a lie, and still is. The government have not implemented the decision. Which is why you are gloating in other threads.
the point is his pledge that "the government would implement the decision" is often used as an argument why we *must* brexit despite the referendum being advisory in law.

DC did not have the authority to make an advisory referendum binding on anyone but himself.  Even then it was purely a matter of his conscience if he broke his pledge or not.

Barry

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=2893 time=1572355738 user_id=88
And if every word out if Cameron's mouth was "a lie" then that would also include the promise that the government would implement the decision....

Exactly. His government no longer exists. He ran away like a scolded cat. So it was a lie, and still is. The government have not implemented the decision. Which is why you are gloating in other threads.
† The end is nigh †

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2930 time=1572364698 user_id=54
Because the bill won't pass with the present house of cards. They will amend and delay until it's unrecognisable. All talk of being willing hides the undercurrent of those determined even now to undermine the referendum result. That won't be Brexit.

He didn't even try - quite a few of the political analysts actually think he had a pretty high chance of getting it through - any amendments that passed, could in any case have been reversed if he won the GE unless they actually were in conflict with the legal WAB treaty, in which case they  probably wouldn't be selected anyway.

I haven't seen a good reason why he wouldn't try to press ahead with it yet.  If he loses he can still call an election afterwards, and if he doesn't like the amendments he can pull the bill.  As such, there isn't really a good reason.

The only thing that surprises me is that Labour and the Lib Dems and SNP are giving him what he wants in December, which makes me think that actually they are not and it won't pass this evening.

T00ts

Quote from: Javert post_id=2929 time=1572364065 user_id=64
But my question still remains as to what is stopping Boris Johnson from passing his WAB right now, instead of playing games and calling GE?

Because the bill won't pass with the present house of cards. They will amend and delay until it's unrecognisable. All talk of being willing hides the undercurrent of those determined even now to undermine the referendum result. That won't be Brexit.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2928 time=1572363838 user_id=54

But my question still remains as to what is stopping Boris Johnson from passing his WAB right now, instead of playing games and calling GE?

T00ts

Quote from: BeElBeeBub post_id=2915 time=1572359478 user_id=88
Freudian slip?  :dncg:

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2903 time=1572356852 user_id=54
I really couldn't disagree with you more. It's the arrogance of the Leaver claims which have caused most of the angst. They claim innocence of course. They are lily white as we all know. We must agree to disagree. I try hard not to descend into the sort of example coming from Westminster down so with that will leave it.

Freudian slip?  :dncg:

T00ts

Quote from: Javert post_id=2901 time=1572356583 user_id=64
That's called democracy.  If you want to have 100% of the decisions go your way and be implemented immediately, you need to get a large majority in the government elected to a party that holds the exact same opinions as you.  If not, you can expect opposition parties to use their votes to try and stop you - that's why they are called the opposition.

Some people seem to forget that the government doesn't currently even have a majority in the HOC, so it's hardly surprising that they can't get their way on everything.

Also, it's Boris Johnson who is refusing to allow parliament to debate his WAB - this has nothing to do with pro remain MPs or remainers in general.  Boris could decide right now today to allow parliament to properly debate his own deal.  Can you explain how it's the other parties fault that he's refusing to do so, in spite of winning the vote on the second reading of the primary legislation required by 30 votes?

Also - threatening violence is more often the route of leave supporters, but I suspect that many remain supporters are perfectly capable of defending themselves if physically attacked - they just are less likely to make violent threats or strike the first blow.

I really couldn't disagree with you more. It's the arrogance of the Leaver claims which have caused most of the angst. They claim innocence of course. They are lily white as we all know. We must agree to disagree. I try hard not to descend into the sort of example coming from Westminster down so with that will leave it.

Javert

Quote from: T00ts post_id=2889 time=1572354825 user_id=54
With the exception of all the swear words I agree with every word.  :roll: It is time the Remain lobby took a good long look at themselves. Everything they accuse the Leavers of they have instigated. From the word go they have fought bitterly with no holds barred to overturn what was an honest majority vote. I don't suppose they understand the word = but they should be ashamed of themselves.

That's called democracy.  If you want to have 100% of the decisions go your way and be implemented immediately, you need to get a large majority in the government elected to a party that holds the exact same opinions as you.  If not, you can expect opposition parties to use their votes to try and stop you - that's why they are called the opposition.

Some people seem to forget that the government doesn't currently even have a majority in the HOC, so it's hardly surprising that they can't get their way on everything.

Also, it's Boris Johnson who is refusing to allow parliament to debate his WAB - this has nothing to do with pro remain MPs or remainers in general.  Boris could decide right now today to allow parliament to properly debate his own deal.  Can you explain how it's the other parties fault that he's refusing to do so, in spite of winning the vote on the second reading of the primary legislation required by 30 votes?

Also - threatening violence is more often the route of leave supporters, but I suspect that many remain supporters are perfectly capable of defending themselves if physically attacked - they just are less likely to make violent threats or strike the first blow.

BeElBeeBub

Quote from: Nick post_id=2837 time=1572300777 user_id=73
Surely the government can just cancel the extension on the 31st October?

I'm not sure the extension allows for any ending except for via agreement.

It could, of course, simply fail to come to an agreement by the 31st and then fail to request an extension.

That would make it very hard to blame the EU for "no deal" and the consequences.