Obesity: Have 20 years of policies had any effect?

Started by GBNews, July 28, 2020, 04:49:12 AM

« previous - next »

srb7677

Quote from: Barry on July 29, 2020, 09:40:25 PM
Quote from: srb7677 on July 29, 2020, 08:56:01 PM
A major problem is that most of the cheaper foods in store are the crappy high fat ones whilst most of the healthy options are more expensive. Is it any wonder therefore that poor people - for whom every penny counts - tend to eat the cheap crap? And is it any surprise that this contributes to obesity and related diabetes amongst poor people?

The simple answer is to somehow make the healthy options the cheaper options, but that is easier said than done. If you do it by taxing the cheaper crap to artificially make it more expensive that will hugely increase costs for the struggling poor. If you do it by subsidising the healthier options to make them artificially cheaper, how is this to be paid for?

There is also the issue of working long hours for those who may be less poor but still struggling and who thus lack the time to cook prepared meals all too often. This can often result in an excessive intake of high fat takeaways. The problem here is that too many couples need both partners to work just to pay the bills, the main driver of this being extortionate rents and house prices, and sometimes also low pay.
Really? So which is cheaper, an apple or a Mars bar?
Broccoli or a Burger?
Stop making excuses for the inept.
Four cheap burgers are cheaper and more filling than four broccolis. And an apple costs nearly as much as a mars bar. Besides, Mars bars are not regular food fair but chocolate treats so not in the mainstream of what I was talking about. If you think price is not a factor for those on low incomes, or that lack of time to cook is not a factor for those who have to work long hours, you are deluding yourself.
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Barry

A major problem is that most of the cheaper foods in store are the crappy high fat ones whilst most of the healthy options are more expensive. Is it any wonder therefore that poor people - for whom every penny counts - tend to eat the cheap crap? And is it any surprise that this contributes to obesity and related diabetes amongst poor people?

The simple answer is to somehow make the healthy options the cheaper options, but that is easier said than done. If you do it by taxing the cheaper crap to artificially make it more expensive that will hugely increase costs for the struggling poor. If you do it by subsidising the healthier options to make them artificially cheaper, how is this to be paid for?

There is also the issue of working long hours for those who may be less poor but still struggling and who thus lack the time to cook prepared meals all too often. This can often result in an excessive intake of high fat takeaways. The problem here is that too many couples need both partners to work just to pay the bills, the main driver of this being extortionate rents and house prices, and sometimes also low pay.
Really? So which is cheaper, an apple or a Mars bar?
Broccoli or a Burger?
Stop making excuses for the inept.
† The end is nigh †

cromwell

Hang on there you're poor so you waste money on takeaways? The answer really is education healthy food needn't be expensive or that hard or long to cook.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on July 28, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Anyone with a BMI over 25 needs a talking to. Anyone with a BMI over 30 needs a serious talking to. It's all about self control, something so many people refuse to accept they are responsible for. :)
Bit like wearing mask then. :)
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Barry

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 28, 2020, 02:19:51 PMAccording to the math formula Im somewhere around the needing a good talking too but not a serious one .
I'm just over 25 BMI so I could do with losing a couple more kilos.
† The end is nigh †

Barry

I'm sure fixing all those pedal cycles will be keeping you mentally and physically fit, SW.
If it should move and doesn't, WD40 it.
If it moves and shouldn't tighten it up till it needs WD40. :)
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Barry on July 28, 2020, 02:05:15 PM
Anyone with a BMI over 25 needs a talking to. Anyone with a BMI over 30 needs a serious talking to. It's all about self control, something so many people refuse to accept they are responsible for.

According to the math formula Im somewhere around the needing a good talking too but not a serious one .  I sort of drifted toward the wrong end of the scale  when I had an op on my feet last November and kept telling myself I will soon loose it when I get back to work .
Hasnt happened yet ,best get back down the garden for another go on the bike /boat stretchy band thingy . 

There will be cold one waiting for me as a reward . ;D

Barry

Anyone with a BMI over 25 needs a talking to. Anyone with a BMI over 30 needs a serious talking to. It's all about self control, something so many people refuse to accept they are responsible for.
† The end is nigh †

Streetwalker

Quote from: Borchester on July 28, 2020, 01:21:36 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on July 28, 2020, 10:57:24 AM
I have found replacing 6 pints of beer with 10 minutes in the gym works a treat .

I have found spending my gym membership fees on beer works even better. It has taken fifty years to turn the lean, keen, god like lad I used to be into the happy, flabby wreck I am now and I am arsed if I am going to change now just because Carrie Symonds is giving Boris earache.

Well yes there has to be a balance but the handbrake  got me  build a gym at the bottom of the garden during lock down . Im not sure if it was to get me out of the house or that she missed her visits to the local one . Anyway its saved me a few quid in membership fees and will pay for itself in no time . 

Borchester

Quote from: Streetwalker on July 28, 2020, 10:57:24 AM
I have found replacing 6 pints of beer with 10 minutes in the gym works a treat .

I have found spending my gym membership fees on beer works even better. It has taken fifty years to turn the lean, keen, god like lad I used to be into the happy, flabby wreck I am now and I am arsed if I am going to change now just because Carrie Symonds is giving Boris earache.
Algerie Francais !

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on July 28, 2020, 10:41:43 AM
No.

In particular, the advert lobby has pointed to the proposed new regulations on junk food adverts, and stated that the UK has the most regulated environment for childrens advertising in the UK, has had so s#for some time, and it has done absolutely sod all. with that track record, it seems starkly obvious more of the same is a waste of time which will achieve nothing except give the assholes in government the nice warm feeling that have done something, when the facts are that whet thay have "done" has achieved nothing at all

What has not been addressed at all is the amount of salt and sugar in processed food.
As  a type two diabetic the amount of salt and sugar in a tin of baked beans is a national scandal. I have seen nothing in Bojo The Clowns proposals to address those issues.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

johnofgwent

No.

In particular, the advert lobby has pointed to the proposed new regulations on junk food adverts, and stated that the UK has the most regulated environment for childrens advertising in the UK, has had so s#for some time, and it has done absolutely sod all. with that track record, it seems starkly obvious more of the same is a waste of time which will achieve nothing except give the assholes in government the nice warm feeling that have done something, when the facts are that whet thay have "done" has achieved nothing at all
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

GBNews

Obesity: Have 20 years of policies had any effect?

There's been two decades of efforts to tackle obesity. Has anything worked?

Source: Obesity: Have 20 years of policies had any effect?