Workshop manuals, a waste of time?

Started by papasmurf, July 29, 2020, 09:13:31 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on July 29, 2020, 09:55:57 AM
. However, now I'm driving a Korean hybrid car, all I do is fill up the screenwash now and again and take it for service once a year.

Same with our Toyota Yaris, despite it's age and mileage, it does not need the oil topping up between major services.
(The only thing I had to do with it after purchase as it had been standing for two years inside a garage was use some "liquid mechanic" spray in the air intake to clean up the injectors and the sensors. (It cured the stalling/tickover problem.) We only paid £1500 for the car.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

I remember using Haynes manuals when I had a Hillman Imp, a Hillman Avenger, Talbot Samba and Renault fives, and they were very helpful. However, now I'm driving a Korean hybrid car, all I do is fill up the screenwash now and again and take it for service once a year.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

My experience of workshop manuals is not good, (apart from American produced ones which appear to be aimed at a thicker audience.)
I had a read of one this morning for a near 40 years old motorcycle I am carrying out some work on the ignition system this week.
(I have got past the biggest hurdle, sourcing new parts which are in the rocking horse poo and Unicorn type of rarity.)
Frankly the manual is useless, (and they are not cheap.)
The main problem being the motorcycle is so damned reliable I have hardly put a spanner on it in the more than two decades we have owned it.

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe