Coronavirus has stolen our future

Started by DeppityDawg, August 02, 2020, 10:36:09 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 03, 2020, 03:33:13 PM

Personally, I'm in the middle of a two-week mostly home-working stint and find it more enjoyable than the antiseptic perspex-partitioned morgue the office has become. So far it's proved productive both personally and professionally, and worth continuing...

Would you have a long commute if you went back?
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

Quote from: cromwell on August 03, 2020, 10:48:22 AMJust a few short posts ago you were telling me so many office workers wanted the office environment and don't like working from home now you are saying they don't want to be there which is it?
There's no point in sticking to one piece of reasoning when there's more fun from running the alternatives up the flagpole to see who bites.
Personally, I'm in the middle of a two-week mostly home-working stint and find it more enjoyable than the antiseptic perspex-partitioned morgue the office has become. So far it's proved productive both personally and professionally, and worth continuing...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

cromwell

Quote from: Thomas on August 03, 2020, 08:36:31 AM
Quote from: DeppityDawg on August 03, 2020, 06:11:13 AM
Quote from: cromwell on August 02, 2020, 07:20:30 PMWell perhaps my idea of the past that your money and property should die with you maybe that'd would help those coming up,TBH the uk property market has always been over inflated.

On a brighter note despite you taking the Michael we are still in Europe.

Its hard to see now how the government can extricate us from the hole it has dug us into. There are people out there who will cheerfully tell you they don't want to go back to work - how on earth they imagine the world works is anyones guess. Sadly, many of them are going to get their wish

Im hearing non stop about office staff refusing to go back to work unless bosses can "guarentee" they wont catch covid 19 , or asking is the office covid friendly.

Im guessing one of the reasons many employers have kept staff working from home is the fact they are scared of being taken to court if any of their staff catch covid 19 in the office in this litigation society we now live in.
Just a few short posts ago you were telling me so many office workers wanted the office environment and don't like working from home now you are saying they don't want to be there which is it?
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

cromwell

Quote from: cromwell on August 02, 2020, 07:20:30 PMWell perhaps my idea of the past that your money and property should die with you maybe that'd would help those coming up,TBH the uk property market has always been over inflated.

Its hard to see now how the government can extricate us from the hole it has dug us into. There are people out there who will cheerfully tell you they don't want to go back to work - how on earth they imagine the world works is anyones guess. Sadly, many of them are going to get their wish

Its only going to get much worse when the Furlough scheme winds up in October and thousands of firms start making even larger scale redundancies - final insult really, after having let the taxpayer fund it (and help them out too with CBILS), then when the time comes to start contributing themselves, they'll pull up the gang plank

You know I was opposed to this from the start, but everything I said would happen is starting to come true. Barry has hit the nail on the head above.
Well you say the young will never forgive us,who do you actually mean? does it include some that have told you they don't want to go back to work?

Also say the govt has dug us in to this hole,so has practically every govt around the world,have you see the reports from Victoria in OZ so it's not just here is it why do people act as though this is only happening here?

Sheepy

Well on the bright side, debt is profit for the few and we may well create a few million more angry chavs, who cares about them anyway. not like they are of any use but to spread their anger. They won't be paying the debt because they don't have anything in the first place, we can all blame the government who only took expert advice as they told us everyday. I guess like the banking crisis it will eventually become a taboo subject.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Thomas

Pretty much agree with everything you are saying deppity. This is my experience as well , piss takers taking the piss over the covid situation regarding employment.

Im hearing non stop about office staff refusing to go back to work unless bosses can "guarentee" they wont catch covid 19 , or asking is the office covid friendly.

Im guessing one of the reasons many employers have kept staff working from home is the fact they are scared of being taken to court if any of their staff catch covid 19 in the office in this litigation society we now live in.

I have also been deeply dissapointed by the teaching profession , and how some of them have dealt with the children under their care. Unlike doctors and nurses , who put themselves at risk to look after their patients , i also thought teaching was a vocation where the teachers would put their kids needs first. In my experience with my childrens schools this hasnt been the case.

Some in the teaching profession i am acquainted with who i normally see down the pub on a friday evening quaffing copious amounts of wine , now all of a sudden cant go back to their job as they all of a sudden have developed asthma or diabetes and are "extremely vulnerable".

These will be the same people as you say squealing when they lose their job and income. Those of us having to go  out and work for a living are the ones having to grin and bear things and try and make doas best we can , while those sitting at home getting paid for doing feck all or on nice pensions are quite happy for the situation to carry on.

There are many sides to this pandemic we are only beginning to see..........and now the tipping point has been reached and the economic side is starting to kick in big time.

Reap what you sow...
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Thomas

Quote from: Barry on August 02, 2020, 07:17:59 PM

Now, wait for the same people who shouted that we must lockdown until we have a vaccine, to turn around and say that the government have ruined our economy.
It's a virus which kills some people, there's no guarantee against death. Get used to that and get on with the rest of your life.

Well said to both barry here and deppity dawg earlier.

This is exactly along the lines of my thinking too.............some people just have lost any sort of ability they may have had to manage risk.

DeppityDawg

Its only going to get much worse when the Furlough scheme winds up in October and thousands of firms start making even larger scale redundancies - final insult really, after having let the taxpayer fund it (and help them out too with CBILS), then when the time comes to start contributing themselves, they'll pull up the gang plank

You know I was opposed to this from the start, but everything I said would happen is starting to come true. Barry has hit the nail on the head above.

Sheepy

Quote from: Barry on August 02, 2020, 07:17:59 PM
It is not CV-19 which has stolen our future. It has stolen the future of those who have died prematurely.
Our economic future has been not stolen, but seriously damaged owing to the total over reaction of government which has preached a project fear even better than the previous one we've had to put up with.

Now, wait for the same people who shouted that we must lockdown until we have a vaccine, to turn around and say that the government have ruined our economy.
It's a virus which kills some people, there's no guarantee against death. Get used to that and get on with the rest of your life.
Well there is another side of that, the Guardian journos were warned at the start the outcome would be painful and the cost if they pushed it as they were would end badly, but as they informed us, they were anarchists at heart, which is typical anarchy, know how to break things but never have a clue how to fix anything.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg on August 02, 2020, 07:07:23 PM
Quote from: cromwell on August 02, 2020, 06:44:10 PM
TBH I've hesitated before replying,I've always valued your humour and posts but I've found the whole covid issue has become much more toxic and divisive even than brexit.

This is not confined to one side of the argument but I don't really recall you being roundly told to eff off  or being described as one who didn't care if people died,I try now to lighten my replies but even that provokes,but on that note "they'll ever forgive you" sounds like Greta  :)

This whole issue will end but till then the divides at least on here and elsewhere will grow.

Being "Fecked off" was a bar term for being told to shut up, but it was Hyperfeck d**ksplash who said I "didn't care" because I didn't agree with his handwringing rubbish, and Javert who explained that we had the technology to "open and close" the economy at will, then proceeded to change what I'd just said from "concerned about" to "didn't care"

In all honesty Cromwell, yes, this whole issue will end eventually, but my point was that this damage was coming and that it was going to be far worse than anything anyone was prepared to admit back then. A couple of other posters agreed with me - we still don't know the scale of the damage (or the deaths that may result from the fallout), but the situation looks just about as bad as it could possibly get. Particularly if you are young. That is why the issue is so divisive - some are paying a far, far higher price than others and are looking at their whole futures being destroyed
Well perhaps my idea of the past that your money and property should die with you maybe that'd would help those coming up,TBH the uk property market has always been over inflated.

On a brighter note despite you taking the Michael we are still in Europe. :P

Barry

It is not CV-19 which has stolen our future. It has stolen the future of those who have died prematurely.
Our economic future has been not stolen, but seriously damaged owing to the total over reaction of government which has preached a project fear even better than the previous one we've had to put up with.

† The end is nigh †

DeppityDawg

Quote from: cromwell on August 02, 2020, 06:44:10 PM
TBH I've hesitated before replying,I've always valued your humour and posts but I've found the whole covid issue has become much more toxic and divisive even than brexit.

This is not confined to one side of the argument but I don't really recall you being roundly told to eff off  or being described as one who didn't care if people died,I try now to lighten my replies but even that provokes,but on that note "they'll ever forgive you" sounds like Greta  :)

This whole issue will end but till then the divides at least on here and elsewhere will grow.

Being "Fecked off" was a bar term for being told to shut up, but it was Hyperfeck d**ksplash who said I "didn't care" because I didn't agree with his handwringing rubbish, and Javert who explained that we had the technology to "open and close" the economy at will, then proceeded to change what I'd just said from "concerned about" to "didn't care"

In all honesty Cromwell, yes, this whole issue will end eventually, but my point was that this damage was coming and that it was going to be far worse than anything anyone was prepared to admit back then. A couple of other posters agreed with me - we still don't know the scale of the damage (or the deaths that may result from the fallout), but the situation looks just about as bad as it could possibly get. Particularly if you are young. That is why the issue is so divisive - some are paying a far, far higher price than others and are looking at their whole futures being destroyed

cromwell

Quote from: DeppityDawg on August 02, 2020, 10:36:09 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/aug/02/coronavirus-has-stolen-our-future-young-peoples-despair-as-jobs-evaporate

Back in April, I got roundly told to f*ck off for suggesting that "lock down" and associated mass panic was going to cause enormous damage to the economy and contribute to many other deaths and suffering long after this sh*t show was over. "No, we have the technology to close the economy" I was told. "You only care about money" I was told. "You don't care if people die" I was told. Yeah, right oh.

Except the sad truth is starting to appear - as the end of the "Furlough" holiday scheme approaches, with unemployment and business failures already making for grim reading, most of those who are soon going to be made redundant don't even know it yet. The economy is in dire condition, we haven't even seen the figures for 'excess deaths' properly broken down (as I also said would happen), and no one has any idea what health issues and conditions have gone untreated because "CV-19" has been allowed to eclipse everything else. The blame shifting and finger pointing in government began months ago, and even Johnson is now admitting an inquiry will have to be held. Yet still the "experts" attempt to heap more and more fear on us, pouring petrol on the fire in an attempt to enforce even more draconian measures on us, the government continues to pander to them because it lacks the balls to say enough is enough, and the threat of another lockdown, virtual house arrest for the over 50s and the destruction of the jobs and the futures of the young on an industrial scale continues

I said the young would pay the price for all this. And they are. And they will continue to pay the price for this for many, many years to come. And it looks like they are beginning to realize it

I don't think they'll ever forgive you now

DeppityDawg

Quote from: Thomas on August 02, 2020, 05:14:29 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on August 02, 2020, 01:29:25 PM

My neighbours are excellent.  I am only grumpy when I have to put up with idiots on internet forums.
Very perversely the property prices as well as rents are soaring upwards here. A two bedroomed bungalow near to me sold for £230000 recently but that did not have a 21foot x 16foot detached garage/workshop as my property does.
However since the threat of Brexit many residents are suffering from all year around Seasonally Acquired Depression (SAD.) Plus the recent invasion of a particularly nasty type of tourist appears to be turning people homicidal.  It does not bode well.
(Not improved by someone setting fire to local reclamation depot.)

You are part of the very problem that the natives in cornwall where moaning about over the years.......selling up and moving from hertfordshire  , buying cheaper , bigger property in cornwall and using the place as a retirement home  , which in turn pushed up house prices for the natives.

....and then?

You start moaning about immigration to cornwall and the wider england/uk , and folk doing in many cases the very thing as you have done as though you and you alone have exclusive rights to migrate.

You were mocked over your contradictory and false views for years on the old forum by uganda and myself among many many others .

You also supported the end of freedom of movement for years on the old forum , the culling of said immigration and certain aspects of brexit , and now only moan about it becasue it is politically expedient to do so and a convenient stick to beat the tories with.

Selfish auld can't  pretty much sums you up , yet when others take that same attitude you start bleating about people being nasty and uncaring. You should have a look in the feckin mirror first.

Exactly, Thomas. He's spent months complaining about "tourists" when the whole area relies on tourism to survive - yet when the businesses that rely on those tourists go tits up, he'll be on her complaining about that too

Then, he sits down there, big fat fecking pension in payment he told everyone about, plaguing this forum like a virus himself, posting videos about Thai recipes and pictures of fecking barbeques that look like some half wit built it, complaining day in day out about everything from rubbish to face masks, from Dominic Cummings to dog sh*t people don't pick up, because he has feck all else to do

Meanwhile, young people and the lowest paid are losing their jobs all over the place, businesses are going to the wall because people wont go back to work or go to shops or resturants, savings (if people with young families even had any in the first place) are disappearing and many families are now on the bones of their arse.

On top of that, those who took mortgage repayment holidays (almost certainly hard pressed young families) are now discovering that the credit file that were told wouldn't be affected now WILL be counted against their remortgage, pushing many onto a higher rate, even supposing they can even get one. Nationwide are saying that new mortgage applicants (young people yet again) are now going to have to prove they didn't get their deposit from their parents (I mean, what young family have got 10k lying in the bank now FFS?), and thousands of students have just graduated, after putting themselves in thousands of pounds of debt, only to discover no businesses in its right mind is going to recruit them?

Its total fecking madness - how could you blame the young for not thinking they've just been shafted with a rag mans fecking bugle?

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 02, 2020, 01:29:25 PM

My neighbours are excellent.  I am only grumpy when I have to put up with idiots on internet forums.
Very perversely the property prices as well as rents are soaring upwards here. A two bedroomed bungalow near to me sold for £230000 recently but that did not have a 21foot x 16foot detached garage/workshop as my property does.
However since the threat of Brexit many residents are suffering from all year around Seasonally Acquired Depression (SAD.) Plus the recent invasion of a particularly nasty type of tourist appears to be turning people homicidal.  It does not bode well.
(Not improved by someone setting fire to local reclamation depot.)

You are part of the very problem that the natives in cornwall where moaning about over the years.......selling up and moving from hertfordshire  , buying cheaper , bigger property in cornwall and using the place as a retirement home  , which in turn pushed up house prices for the natives.

....and then?

You start moaning about immigration to cornwall and the wider england/uk , and folk doing in many cases the very thing as you have done as though you and you alone have exclusive rights to migrate.

You were mocked over your contradictory and false views for years on the old forum by uganda and myself among many many others .

You also supported the end of freedom of movement for years on the old forum , the culling of said immigration and certain aspects of brexit , and now only moan about it becasue it is politically expedient to do so and a convenient stick to beat the tories with.

Selfish auld cant  pretty much sums you up , yet when others take that same attitude you start bleating about people being nasty and uncaring. You should have a look in the feckin mirror first.