The problems of the wider problems

Started by Sheepy, August 04, 2020, 09:56:49 AM

« previous - next »

Sheepy

Quote from: papasmurf on August 06, 2020, 07:31:17 AM
Quote from: HDQQ on August 05, 2020, 09:42:31 PM
Nobody knew that pandemic was going to strike.

It was only a matter of when, not if, globalisation and quick mass travel around the World means a pandemic can happen at any time.  (So far we have been lucky it hasn't been Ebola.)
I can honestly say, I never found anyone so begging to be royally fecked so they can bring about their own impending vision of doom and gloom.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

Nobody knew that pandemic was going to strike.

It was only a matter of when, not if, globalisation and quick mass travel around the World means a pandemic can happen at any time.  (So far we have been lucky it hasn't been Ebola.)
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Sheepy

Nobody knew that pandemic was going to strike. Councils did what seemed like the best thing at the time - invest in buildings and profit from the rents, which in turn should lead to better value for money for the council tax payer. All this might have been changed by covid-19. We are where we are, as it were. I believe it's a criminal offence for councillors to allow their local authority to go bankrupt (please correct me if I'm wrong!). So, faced with losses they either have to cut services, put up council tax or both or end up in prison. They could also sell their investment buildings, but that might be at a loss in the current situation.
I wasn't actually judging them Ducky, just pointing out the other side of things which for some reason some people don't think will happen.

HDQQ

Nobody knew that pandemic was going to strike. Councils did what seemed like the best thing at the time - invest in buildings and profit from the rents, which in turn should lead to better value for money for the council tax payer. All this might have been changed by covid-19. We are where we are, as it were. I believe it's a criminal offence for councillors to allow their local authority to go bankrupt (please correct me if I'm wrong!). So, faced with losses they either have to cut services, put up council tax or both or end up in prison. They could also sell their investment buildings, but that might be at a loss in the current situation.
Formerly known as Hyperduck Quack Quack.
I might not be an expert but I do know enough to correct you when you're wrong!

Sheepy

Quote from: patman post on August 04, 2020, 03:09:22 PM
My usual advice on reports of organisations and/or companies closing, downsizing, laying off staff, etc, is "follow the money". But from the many reports of such happenings in recent weeks, while it's not too hard to spot who loses less, it's difficult to determine who actually gains.
This leaves me wondering why are these things happening, and is there a common underlying cause...
Well if that is the case, somebody is covering their tracks rather well.

patman post

My usual advice on reports of organisations and/or companies closing, downsizing, laying off staff, etc, is "follow the money". But from the many reports of such happenings in recent weeks, while it's not too hard to spot who loses less, it's difficult to determine who actually gains.
This leaves me wondering why are these things happening, and is there a common underlying cause...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

My local council in their wisdom, decided it was a good idea investing heavily in commercial buildings, with the latest over dramatised  pandemic the renters of these buildings say with the latest problems they face need a huge rent reduction, which said council cannot give as they have taken a 100% loan to buy the property, so now said companies say they will fold with loss of upto 1700 jobs. Which means the rate payers will be left footing the bill for the loan and more unemployed.