Is there a soldering expert in the house.

Started by papasmurf, August 04, 2020, 02:50:33 PM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 04, 2020, 04:46:37 PM
JoG has it, I call it a solder sucker. Heat the joint on a PCB until molten use the solder sucker to remove the solder and take the component off the board. Replace with new component.
Perfect for replacing the under-rated capacitors in cheap power supplies in televisions.

Cheers, I don't expect I will ever have a use for it but I know someone who will probably want to borrow it.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

JoG has it, I call it a solder sucker. Heat the joint on a PCB until molten use the solder sucker to remove the solder and take the component off the board. Replace with new component.
Perfect for replacing the under-rated capacitors in cheap power supplies in televisions.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

johnofgwent

looks like a de-soldering tool.

the things i have look like a syringe, coated inside in a sort of greasy silicon oil to stop the molten solder from bring a bloody nuisance.

It's a bit like an air pistol in reverse, you press the plunger to the base against a coiled spring, it clicks home against a sort of trigger.

To remove a soldered component, you heat up the joint, put the white end against the component, press the trigger release, the piston shoots up the barrel sucking the molten solder in the airflow, leaving tinned, but usually solder stripped components you should be able to work off the board ...

Or it could be an artificial insemination device ...

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

I have just purchased a soldering iron kit as I need one somewhat more delicate than my present one.
Most of the kit is obvious, but what is this please:-