Virgin Atlantic files for Bankruptcy

Started by Sheepy, August 05, 2020, 10:32:43 AM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Earlier in his career Branson also got done for VAT irregularities, but he's seemed to treat punters fairly...

Maybe he does. His PR over the demand for a bailout having paid not a penny in for decades however points to why he deserves zero sympathy now.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 06, 2020, 02:03:13 PMBranson is on record as saying a rescue package should have been denied to BA some years ago and 'more efficient' operators allowed to.pick overvthe corpse.

I'm sure he will agree this concept is still valid when it is Michael O Leary doing the picking and choosing from his corpse.

Anyway, Rishi Wossisname has already promised a 100% return of every penny virgin paid in uk tax since 2000 as a bailout. He can't be held to blame if this only gives Virgin 95p to work with...
BA were proved to be crooks in 1993 when Lord King and BA agreed in the High Court to pay Richard Branson and his airline £610,000 libel damages and costs put at £3m. Lord King and BA also offered Mr Branson an unreserved apology over the campaign, which involved computer hacking, poaching of passengers, impersonation of staff, document shredding and press smears.
At that time BA acted as though it was an arm of the British secret service (many thought it was).
Earlier in his career Branson also got done for VAT irregularities, but he's seemed to treat punters fairly...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Branson is on record as saying a rescue package should have been denied to BA some years ago and 'more efficient' operators allowed to.pick overvthe corpse.

I'm sure he will agree this concept is still valid when it is Michael O Leary doing the picking and choosing from his corpse.

Anyway, Rishi Wossisname has already promised a 100% return of every penny virgin paid in uk tax since 2000 as a bailout. He cant be held to blame if this only gives Virgin 95p to work with...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Barry

Richard Branson was a self made entrepreneur, was it in the late sixties he set up his record shops in London and at that time he was well admired as a hard working businessman. He seems now to be very unpopular, quite why, I'm unsure, but probably due to his hiving off of various businesses.
His actual ownership of his brands is sparse.
For instance Virgin broadband and mobile are owned by an American company. They are about to merge with O2 which is owned by the Spanish firm Telefónica.

Owning islands and asking the UK Gov for coronavirus help hasn't done a lot for his image.
† The end is nigh †

Sheepy

Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!