Migrant rescue service

Started by Good old, August 07, 2020, 11:55:54 AM

« previous - next »

Good old

Quote from: papasmurf on August 10, 2020, 04:11:52 PM
Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 04:02:29 PM

Seems a bit steep just to see them coming , when the French could stop them coming. And we still can't.

Frankly given they can only be spotted with the MK1 eyeball plus binoculars as they have no radar reflector it is a useless PR exercise.

Another test of the old adage." Bullshit baffles brains". Then.  Can't beat the old ones , says Boris.

papasmurf

Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 04:02:29 PM

Seems a bit steep just to see them coming , when the French could stop them coming. And we still can't.

Frankly given they can only be spotted with the MK1 eyeball plus binoculars as they have no radar reflector it is a useless PR exercise.
When the local lifeboat goes out usually unless a boat has a radar reflector they ask the casualty to do a slow count on their radio so the lifeboat can use the Direction Finding kit.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on August 10, 2020, 03:17:04 PM
Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 03:05:58 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 10, 2020, 02:43:41 PM
Well the French do like a handout where illegal immigration is concerned Theresa May sent them an extra £44 million which never seemed to achieve that much, now they feel they need another £30 million. like taking candy from a baby comes to mind. But it seems Boris has got the RAF on the job as well.

We have to remember that the French have us by the crutch on this . Little doubt they milk it.  I might be wrong  but I'm pretty sure that was a C-17 flying  up and down the channel this morning one of our biggest most expensive transports .
The mind boggles. Why.? Surely we could spot a bloody dingy with something cheaper than that.
Its a 400M atlas surveillance aircraft. so Boris tells me. Which will work in conjunction with the Border force, but I am sure smurf will make some other drama out of it.

That's it then , from a distance it has a similar profile, except it's prop not jet . Similar very prominent tail fin. Still a bit of a sledge hammer nut situation.
For my money. I used to fish those waters years ago. The authorities  always seemed to be around for little or no reason,. I digress.

Sheepy

Well the French do like a handout where illegal immigration is concerned Theresa May sent them an extra £44 million which never seemed to achieve that much, now they feel they need another £30 million. like taking candy from a baby comes to mind. But it seems Boris has got the RAF on the job as well.

We have to remember that the French have us by the crutch on this . Little doubt they milk it.  I might be wrong  but I'm pretty sure that was a C-17 flying  up and down the channel this morning one of our biggest most expensive transports .
The mind boggles. Why.? Surely we could spot a bloody dingy with something cheaper than that.
Its a 400M atlas surveillance aircraft. so Boris tells me. Which will work in conjunction with the Border force, but I am sure smurf will make some other drama out of it.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

papasmurf

I might be wrong  but I'm pretty sure that was a C-17 flying  up and down the channel this morning one of our biggest most expensive transports .

I thought it was an old C130.  The problem is as the RIBs have no radar reflector it is VERY difficult to spot them.

papasmurf

Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 02:52:41 PM
I will say Smurf, French policing is far more extensive than here . There is one on most corners . I think they drag their feet on this.

In rural France police are as rare as rocking horse poo and unicorns as they are in rural Britain, mainly because most of the various French police forces are engaged on anti-terrorism work and keeping the stroppy French protesters in order.
It is a bit of a clue how bad the situation is because the French Foreign Legion traditionally barred from active service on the French mainland are backing up the other police forces.

Good old

Good old

Quote from: papasmurf on August 10, 2020, 02:34:17 PM
Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 02:28:56 PM

I agree the French , are not  to blame for the migrants .  But  the illegal traffickers are operating from French territory.

The illegal British (at least British passport holder traffickers,) operating in French territory.

What their passports say doesn't alter the fact that the French , have to cooperate fully in apprehending these people . The crime is committed on French territory . and if not caught red handed very difficult to prosecute . I wouldn't be surprised if any number are known suspects , here . Suspicion doesn't do though. Actually breaking into their operations in France ,will . But only the French can take the lead in that. I will say Smurf, French policing is far more extensive than here . There is one on most corners . I think they drag their feet on this.

Sheepy

papasmurf

Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 02:28:56 PM

I agree the French , are not  to blame for the migrants .  But  the illegal traffickers are operating from French territory.

The illegal British (at least British passport holder traffickers,) operating in French territory.

Good old

Quote from: patman post on August 10, 2020, 01:39:32 PM
Unlike many, I don't see France as a villain — illegal immigration and migrant Channel crossings are as much problems for the French as for the British. Like many ex-colonial countries, France has to cope with illegal immigration attracted by its large immigrant population. But meanwhile, it is also stopping more attempts at channel crossings than the UK is picking up.
The current wave of illegal attempts to enter France and the UK (and also Southern Europe) seems to largely originate in Syria. Because Libya has accepted around 1.5 million Syrian refugees, the recent catastrophe in Beirut which will impact the already fragile economy, fewer Syrian refugees will stay there. And that is likely to increase, despite the funding of refugee camps in the area by the UK and others.
As the British national waters extend to French national waters where the incursions are taking place, the two countries need to extend their cooperation in dealing with immigrants. I believe the UK should pay more to fund more actions to stop refugees nearer source (eg, in states like Libya) — it seems more useful than standing on the Dover cliff top with binoculars, note book and pencil counting refugees as they're picked up...

And though the migrants are a fact of life and will remain so, the traffickers  can only be stopped and prosecuted by the French.
Legal routes are already blocked with French corporation on their side of the channel. So one would hope ,if the French really went after the criminal element in this , the problem would be much diminished , if not eradicated.
To a fair degree the situation seems to have fallen foul of the brexit syndrome of them and us. But that applies to both sides of the channel.

patman post

Unlike many, I don't see France as a villain — illegal immigration and migrant Channel crossings are as much problems for the French as for the British. Like many ex-colonial countries, France has to cope with illegal immigration attracted by its large immigrant population. But meanwhile, it is also stopping more attempts at channel crossings than the UK is picking up.
The current wave of illegal attempts to enter France and the UK (and also Southern Europe) seems to largely originate in Syria. Because Libya has accepted around 1.5 million Syrian refugees, the recent catastrophe in Beirut which will impact the already fragile economy, fewer Syrian refugees will stay there. And that is likely to increase, despite the funding of refugee camps in the area by the UK and others.
As the British national waters extend to French national waters where the incursions are taking place, the two countries need to extend their cooperation in dealing with immigrants. I believe the UK should pay more to fund more actions to stop refugees nearer source (eg, in states like Libya) — it seems more useful than standing on the Dover cliff top with binoculars, note book and pencil counting refugees as they're picked up...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Sheepy

Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 12:27:21 PM
Quote from: Sheepy on August 10, 2020, 12:04:31 PM
Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 11:56:56 AM

Can't help thinking all this .Send the Navy, Ex  Marine Running the show , Stuff  still doesn't do much more other than let the public    think that Some kind of military solution is possible.
Only if the French , are up for a combined military solution, could it be a part of a solution, because it certainly will never be  the solution. It's the traffickers on the French side that need shutting down, it's the dingy s in French water that should be rescued .
We can't operate on French territory ,on land or sea. And through it all there is an international obligation to rescue these people by both nations once they get on the water that will not go away. So outside of giving the impression of being really forceful , is this just  an  expensive attempt  to cover the holes in the capabilities of border control?
At a guess somebody has noticed they have been taking the easy option and not fulfilling what they are paid to do, so at another guess, they will be having stern words with the French.

I bet they are shitting them selfs. The marines are coming. If only Napoleon was here.  More likely they want a pay rise to still do F- all. There are stern words all the time. I think the military bits are to impress you and me , Sleepy,. The French  are probably laughing at,  Le, Roast Beef !
well he that laughs longest and all of that, look on the brightside they have been caught and need to show they are doing something about it.

Good old

Quote from: Sheepy on August 10, 2020, 12:04:31 PM
Quote from: Good old on August 10, 2020, 11:56:56 AM

Can't help thinking all this .Send the Navy, Ex  Marine Running the show , Stuff  still doesn't do much more other than let the public    think that Some kind of military solution is possible.
Only if the French , are up for a combined military solution, could it be a part of a solution, because it certainly will never be  the solution. It's the traffickers on the French side that need shutting down, it's the dingy s in French water that should be rescued .
We can't operate on French territory ,on land or sea. And through it all there is an international obligation to rescue these people by both nations once they get on the water that will not go away. So outside of giving the impression of being really forceful , is this just  an  expensive attempt  to cover the holes in the capabilities of border control?
At a guess somebody has noticed they have been taking the easy option and not fulfilling what they are paid to do, so at another guess, they will be having stern words with the French.

I bet they are shitting them selfs. The marines are coming. If only Napoleon was here.  More likely they want a pay rise to still do F- all. There are stern words all the time. I think the military bits are to impress you and me , Sleepy,. The French  are probably laughing at,  Le, Roast Beef !

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on August 10, 2020, 12:14:20 PM

I'd submit that murdering people isn't humane or compassionate, and I think you know that too.

That depends if it is an Of Mice and Men situation, or a Sergeant York situation.