Thousands of dimbos caught out by London C-Charge changes...

Started by patman post, August 07, 2020, 04:44:34 PM

« previous - next »

patman post

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 19, 2020, 12:51:08 PMexcept the whole point of this thread was saddo khan't was less than open about bringing it in on saturdays and sundays which it never used to be.
ULEZ was talked about and promoted for months and years. It's expansion to cover the area bounded by the North and South Circular Roads has been widely reported since before the current emission became active.
Congestion Charge changes were announced widely alongside the reports of TfL funding and operating changes. They were also the subject of news which reported them as a trade off between the mayor and central government's £1.6 billion bail out for TfL. Admittedly, the national news was wall-to-wall coronavirus. So unless a listener's interest was driving in London, it may not have registered. But even then, fines were not imposed for the first two weeks.
I was aware of this because I drive in London. The whole point of this thread was that dimbos only have themselves to blame for not knowing about the changes...
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

johnofgwent

Quote from: patman post on August 18, 2020, 05:34:25 PM
The Ultra Low Emission Zone is 24/7. Only the Congestion Charge has a break (from 10pm to 7am, and all day 25 December). It's all signposted...

except the whole point of this thread was saddo khan't was less than open about bringing it in on saturdays and sundays which it never used to be.

<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Quote from: patman post on August 18, 2020, 05:34:25 PM
The Ultra Low Emission Zone is 24/7. Only the Congestion Charge has a break (from 10pm to 7am, and all day 25 December). It's all signposted...

As is the 20mph speed limit across most of London . Thanks to Sid Khan you can now get pulled over for speeding while still in first .

Mind how you go .  ;)

patman post

On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

Baff

It got me last time I was in London.
I genuinely tried to avoid all emission charges, but they fined me anyway.

I avoid the place.

Streetwalker

patman post

Quote from: Barry on August 07, 2020, 05:19:25 PM
I shall shortly complete our move to Kent, but I shall still try to keep my car on or outside the M25 as far as possible. Driving in London is not really my cup of tea. I knew nothing about these new charges, but then, I didn't really need to.
The M25 looks safe for the moment. The only seriously proposed ring round London is made up of the North and South Circular Roads, to inside which the ULEZ will be extended (around 2025, I think — though Covid will no doubt be the excuse for many more tax hikes and new ones levied).

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 08, 2020, 03:17:11 PM
I have not taken a car into London since Red Ken brought this filthy tax in, and now I would not go there to defuse one of my old nukes no matter how much they begged.
It made sense and did reduce congestion. Then (obviously non-driver) road planners got to work, and it got worse than ever. But currently traffic volume is down. What's due to Covid or the extortionate new charges is debatable.

Does it apply to hybrids?
Quote from: johnofgwent on August 08, 2020, 03:17:11 PM
Not for long.
Exemptions apply to registered hybrids and EVs, but only until Christmas 2025...

johnofgwent

I shall shortly complete our move to Kent, but I shall still try to keep my car on or outside the M25 as far as possible. Driving in London is not really my cup of tea. I knew nothing about these new charges, but then, I didn't really need to.

I have not taken a car into London since Red Ken brought this filthy tax in, and now I would not go there to defuse one of my old nukes no matter how much they begged.

Not for long.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2020, 04:48:46 PMI was emailed about those changes, and I am not likely to ever go near London.

the garden of england?

What a lovely place barry. Good luck wae yer move .
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 07, 2020, 04:48:46 PMI was emailed about those changes, and I am not likely to ever go near London.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: patman post on August 07, 2020, 04:44:34 PM
How can we expect the population to comply with Covid restrictions when they don't even notice and understand clear and consistent news reports and GLA announcements on changes to the times and fees of the London Congestion Charge...

I was emailed about those changes, and I am not likely to ever go near London.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

patman post

How can we expect the population to comply with Covid restrictions when they don't even notice and understand clear and consistent news reports and GLA announcements on changes to the times and fees of the London Congestion Charge...

Nearly 15,000 Londoners are being hit with £160 congestion charge penalty notices each weekend since the daily toll was extended to Saturdays and Sundays, the Standard can reveal.
On average, 7,289 motorists were caught out for every extra day of charging — netting Transport for London over £4 million in the first fortnight of fines being imposed.
As well as weekends, the daily operating hours have also been extended to 10pm.
The penalty is reduced to £80 if paid within a month, but surges to £240 if left unpaid. Dozens of victims have taken to social media to complain they had no idea that the C-charge had been changed.
But some drivers accused transport chiefs of failing to publicise the change. Matt D Wright fumed: "£80 fine for the first month that you put the congestion charge on Sundays and evenings."
He added: "You barely spend a penny telling anyone, then go in heavy on the fines."
Twitter user Paul said: "I had no idea that London's congestion charge was seven days a week now. So just received an £80 fine for driving over Waterloo Bridge on a Sunday evening at 8.47pm."
TfL said it did not serve fines for the first two weekends, letting off over 30,000 motorists with warning notices.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/congestion-charge-weekend-fines-a4519066.html

I think the charges are too high and applied for too much of the day, but I did know they were coming in...