Do you use inserts?

Started by Borchester, August 13, 2020, 08:14:17 PM

« previous - next »

johnofgwent

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 14, 2020, 09:36:21 AM
Push fit plumbing is what allowed thousands of East Europeans to declare ''Im a plumber mate '' when they got off the ferry at Dover . Those who didnt question the lack of an 's ' after the 'r' ended up with a shower in the downstairs broom cupboard instead of the upstairs bathroom ,but there we go .

Oh god. I remember replacing the toilet in the other house. Thank god that was a push fit into the sewer pipe !!!
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

papasmurf

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 14, 2020, 09:36:21 AM
Push fit plumbing is what allowed thousands of East Europeans to declare ''Im a plumber mate '' when they got off the ferry at Dover . Those who didnt question the lack of an 's ' after the 'r' ended up with a shower in the downstairs broom cupboard instead of the upstairs bathroom ,but there we go .

I fitted a replacement  toilet cistern, (after the old one fell off of the wall, it had only been there 40 years, nothing lasts anymore,) the only push fit was the pipe from the cistern into the back of the bog.
Luckily the overflow pipe and the water inlet to cistern were the same distance apart as the old cistern, so a spanner and plumbers tape for everything was all that was needed.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

johnofgwent

Quote from: Borchester on August 13, 2020, 10:23:27 PM
Quote from: cromwell on August 13, 2020, 09:57:05 PM
Quote from: Borchester on August 13, 2020, 08:14:17 PM
Just gotten a phone call from my son who wanted to know if he should use inserts for plastic pipe when joining pipe with John Guest fittings

And I said yes.

And he said oh, on account the bloke in the shop had shown him some plastic pipe that did not need inserts.

And I said the bloke in the shop is probably not worried about pipes leaking and your mother giving the pair of us earache. I said inserts cost nothing and we should be thinking in terms of belts and braces.

And my lad has just rung back and asked if I wanted some plumbing work, to which I replied no and why?

Apparently my boy had turned to the shop assistant and said that he believed in taking the belt and braces approach and would like both inserts and pipe. And a customer nearby was so impressed by my lad's obvious command of all matters relevant to pipework, that he asked my son if he was interested in doing the plumbing in his (the customer's) new bathroom.

There is a lesson there but I am not sure what it is.
I am sure,on another forum you told us about the rural wreck and the lead encased wiring,I gave you a lecture ( it wasn't really but you insisted it was) about the perils and pitfalls not least the possible premature death of you or one of your own.

You told me I was an elf and safety nagging old woman........so the lesson is you listened  :) :) :P

It looks as though you have won Ollie.

Once the wiring was out we took it down to the local scrap metal merchant who sucked his teeth, haggled a bit, spat on his hand to seal the deal and asked for my bank details.

And I said, what the ?£$&. What happened to the folding stuff. And the lad sighed and said it was all bank transfers these days.

So there you are. Even the Pikkies are pay VAT and income tax these days. :( :( :(

If you invent a fictional gmail account, and give it ownership of a business you place on google maps, one of the ways you can "blue badge verify" the email and google account is to have google send you their offer of £75 worth of free adwords advertisingm, and use the code on the postcard to verify the address.

All I have to do now is sort out a paypal account for my alter ego ....

But yes, scrap metal merchants went bank transfer about fifteen years ago. Blame Gordon Brown.
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Borchester

Quote from: cromwell on August 13, 2020, 09:57:05 PM
Just gotten a phone call from my son who wanted to know if he should use inserts for plastic pipe when joining pipe with John Guest fittings

And I said yes.

And he said oh, on account the bloke in the shop had shown him some plastic pipe that did not need inserts.

And I said the bloke in the shop is probably not worried about pipes leaking and your mother giving the pair of us earache. I said inserts cost nothing and we should be thinking in terms of belts and braces.

And my lad has just rung back and asked if I wanted some plumbing work, to which I replied no and why?

Apparently my boy had turned to the shop assistant and said that he believed in taking the belt and braces approach and would like both inserts and pipe. And a customer nearby was so impressed by my lad's obvious command of all matters relevant to pipework, that he asked my son if he was interested in doing the plumbing in his (the customer's) new bathroom.

I am sure,on another forum you told us about the rural wreck and the lead encased wiring,I gave you a lecture ( it wasn't really but you insisted it was) about the perils and pitfalls not least the possible premature death of you or one of your own.

You told me I was an elf and safety nagging old woman........so the lesson is you listened  :) :) :P

It looks as though you have won Ollie.

Once the wiring was out we took it down to the local scrap metal merchant who sucked his teeth, haggled a bit, spat on his hand to seal the deal and asked for my bank details.

And I said, what the ?£$&. What happened to the folding stuff. And the lad sighed and said it was all bank transfers these days.

So there you are. Even the Pikkies are pay VAT and income tax these days. :( :( :(
Algerie Francais !

cromwell

And I said yes.

Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

srb7677

Neither am I
We are not all in the same boat. We are in the same storm. Some of us have yachts. Some of us have canoes. Some of us are drowning.

Borchester

And I said yes.

Algerie Francais !