Boris Johnson defends exam grades in English schools

Started by GBNews, August 15, 2020, 01:11:12 PM

« previous - next »

Javert

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 16, 2020, 06:11:26 PMA couple of years ago whichever bunch of overpaid bean counters administer this debacle admitted something like one in three will never pay off ALL their student loan in the 30 year collection period and quite a number will.NEVER get a job with a salary placing them in a position where they will START.

Correct but as I understood it, this was expected and factored in from the very beginning - it was always expected that 30-40% of people will never pay off the full amount, this was not new information and it's not through incompetence at collecting the money, but simply that there is no obligation on anybody who goes to university to pay the money back unless their income is over the threshold.

Hence why the UK taxpayer has to underwrite the scheme.

Fundamentally the taxpayer is still funding the university costs of a significant portion of students - it's now more based on the long term financial value that the student extracted from the course - if they end up earning enough they have to pay some or all of the money back.

In the old days, when only about 20% of people went to university in the UK, the tuition fees were 100% paid by the taxpayer (as now in Scotland), and the students whose parents were on low incomes received a means tested grant for living expenses.  This has all been replaced by loans that are directly on the student, underwritten by the taxpayer.

Nick

The students can bitch all they want but it is human nature for the teachers to mark up a pupil they have known for years. The only question is, is the governments attempts to mitigate this at the right level, are they removing the correct amount of up marking?
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

papasmurf

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 16, 2020, 05:59:36 PM

What was the subject ?

He is an expert in artificial intelligence, (but what his degree was related to that, I don't know.) I know he gave a lecture on the subject to scientists from all over the world before he got his degree.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Nalaar

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 16, 2020, 06:11:26 PMA couple of years ago whichever bunch of overpaid bean counters administer this debacle admitted something like one in three will never pay off ALL their student loan in the 30 year collection period and quite a number will.NEVER get a job with a salary placing them in a position where they will START.

Given these people won't have a a full time minimum wage job, I think it's reasonable they're not also on the hook for debt the rest of their lives. When compared to something like the American system I think we are much closer to a better model for all involved.

As for the topic of Grades, the A-levels seemed to of been a disaster, why teacher input has been roundly ignored I have no idea, in these kinds of instances the data should be flowing from the bottom up, not the top down.
Don't believe everything you think.

johnofgwent

Quote from: Nalaar on August 16, 2020, 12:25:31 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 16, 2020, 12:16:13 PMWell I dont ,he does .

But do you know why? Very strange for SLC to be in contact like that.

THEY claim they spend a lot of time trying to get mistakes in favour of students corrected but fail through failure to make contact.

A couple of years ago whichever bunch of overpaid bean counters administer this debacle admitted something like one in three will never pay off ALL their student loan in the 30 year collection period and quite a number will.NEVER get a job with a salary placing them in a position where they will START.

Doesnt surprise me at all. But then back when I was a student going to university meant being poor for three years compared to all your pals in work earning wages, in hope youd do better in later years .... Today a bench in a lecture theatre is used as an alternative to a bench in a park.

My neighbours eldest dropped out of uni in his first couple of months. His dad, who joined the police as a lowly copper on the beat back when plod wanted to feel collars not muse on the rights and wrongs of transgender police in social media made him sit down calculate the full cost of three more years and then show a business plan for recovering the investment...

He started a job the week after ....
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 16, 2020, 09:24:22 AM
Quote from: Borchester on August 15, 2020, 09:27:03 PM

Poor little sods.

Most of them will leave university with worthless degrees, massive debts and learned nothing much other than that most of their lecturers are only there because they can't hack it outside.

A harsh but I suspect all too accurate assessment in most cases.
I know few people who have left  university with a degree and gone on to get the "glittering prizes."
A friend's son is one of the exceptions first class honours degree and was on £100000 a year  within three months of graduation.

What was the subject ?
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Streetwalker

Nalaar

Quote from: Streetwalker on August 16, 2020, 12:16:13 PMWell I dont ,he does .

But do you know why? Very strange for SLC to be in contact like that.

Streetwalker

Quote from: Nalaar on August 16, 2020, 11:53:13 AM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 16, 2020, 11:06:07 AMWe get monthly phone calls from student loans

Why do you get calls from student loans?

Well I dont ,he does .But as I say hes never here to take the call . Well thats not strictly true either he moved back in last year and has taken over the two spare rooms as his lounge /bedroom ,rent free of course . Maybe he has sorted it out come to think about it ,I haven't had to answer the phone for some time ,well not loans people anyway .

Nalaar

Streetwalker

Quote from: News on August 15, 2020, 01:11:12 PM

The 2020 exam results mean more students than "ever before", will be able to go to their university of choice the prime minister says.

Source: Boris Johnson defends exam grades in English schools

Poor little sods.

Most of them will leave university with worthless degrees, massive debts and learned nothing much other than that most of their lecturers are only there because they can't hack it outside.

Totally agree . We got suckered into Blairs 50%  go to university  and the rest of you are Dumbo plan when we  pursued   every avenue to get our eldest on a course . We did succeed and 5 years later after graduating wearing a cloak with no colours he pissed off around Europe on a jolly .

We get monthly phone calls from student loans and though we tell them he has never done a full weeks work in his life and  they have as much chance of ever seeing any student loan  as I have being satisfied that the thousands I invested in him will see any return . 

Where the government must concentrate their efforts . Unlike the Labour government of Blair we must ensure that those who dont make it to university have other options  of  a career through a proper apprenticeship . In many cases it will be the right choice

papasmurf

Poor little sods.

A harsh but I suspect all too accurate assessment in most cases.
I know few people who have left  university with a degree and gone on to get the "glittering prizes."
A friend's son is one of the exceptions first class honours degree and was on £100000 a year  within three months of graduation.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Borchester

Quote from: News on August 15, 2020, 01:11:12 PM

The 2020 exam results mean more students than "ever before", will be able to go to their university of choice the prime minister says.

Poor little sods.

Algerie Francais !

GBNews