Large number of MPs not standing for reelection

Started by papasmurf, October 30, 2019, 11:09:56 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: Ciaphas post_id=3107 time=1572441283 user_id=75
Out of curiosity how many MP's usually stand down when a general election is called? Would be good to know what is normal attrition and what is down to other causes.

Quite a lot. This time it is about 50 whereas in 2010 it was about 140.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49607907">//https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49607907%20%20
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

Re the numbers standing down - apparently not as many this time as in 2010. So perhaps it is fairly normal.

Churchill

I do hope so but I doubt it, I had very little faith in our poloticians for years long before Brexit and even less now are any of them worth my vote now I really don't think so.

I know which party I don't want to see in power, trouble is are any others on offer that I really trust to do a good job
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

Sheepy

Well I guess they have seen the writing on the wall,enough of their nonsense,just go.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Churchill

It would not be unusual if they voted to support their party's policy that is what the Whips are for are they not?

They can also vote how their consciences tell them or their constituents tell them.

On occasions I believe a Free vote is allowed by their party and their MP's vote for what they think is the right thing to do.
<r><COLOR color=\"#4000FF\">>After years of waiting at long last on our way out of the EU <E>]</e></COLOR></r>

papasmurf

Quote from: Churchill post_id=3211 time=1572503997 user_id=69
Fascist State !!!! how do you reach that rather weird conclusion ?  You and I hold opinions on numerous matters are you saying MP's are not allowed to think and are simply put in place just to rubber stamp everything put before the House without question?

Far too many MPs do just that.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Churchill

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=3202 time=1572476869 user_id=74
That's a good example of what I was talking about. I've just checked her bio and it is clear at this point why:

"In 2013, Morgan voted against the introduction of same-sex marriage in England and Wales, arguing that marriage could only be between a man and a woman.[13]"

See, she's a rebel of the Nu fascist state.

Fascist State !!!! how do you reach that rather weird conclusion ?  You and I hold opinions on numerous matters are you saying MP's are not allowed to think and are simply put in place just to rubber stamp everything put before the House without question?

papasmurf

Quote from: "Baron von Lotsov" post_id=3174 time=1572462379 user_id=74

It's an effect which has shown itself in my very town in fact. As the dodgy people moved in the sensible ones got out, and this in turn provided space to those who were attracted to it in its state of greater dodginess. It's a case of a negative spiral downwards.

Is that a roundabout was of commenting about "white flight?"
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: Churchill post_id=3193 time=1572471520 user_id=69
Nikki Morgan the Cultural Sec has quit states being abused is the reason

That's a good example of what I was talking about. I've just checked her bio and it is clear at this point why:

"In 2013, Morgan voted against the introduction of same-sex marriage in England and Wales, arguing that marriage could only be between a man and a woman.[13]"

See, she's a rebel of the Nu fascist state.
<t>Hong Kingdom: addicted to democrazy opium from Brit</t>

Churchill

Nikki Morgan the Cultural Sec has quit states being abused is the reason

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3121 time=1572444810 user_id=54
It seems quite a large %age from each party that are standing down. I wonder if that's normal or is this really a sign of the exhaustion/confusion/anger in the House.

Sometimes the good guys give up hope as they just feel they are not being listened to at all and come to the conclusion there is no point in carrying on.

It's an effect which has shown itself in my very town in fact. As the dodgy people moved in the sensible ones got out, and this in turn provided space to those who were attracted to it in its state of greater dodginess. It's a case of a negative spiral downwards.

Baron von Lotsov

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3097 time=1572438554 user_id=54
There are a few more who might as well stand down. At least this gives a real chance to clear some of the dross.

Worse dross will replace it.

Barry

There seems two main reasons for those standing down. Some of them are past it and need putting out to grass, others realise they blew it in Parliament and are jumping before they are pushed.

I will be waiting up on election night to see Anna's face when she loses her deposit. She will probably be offered a job as Brexit/political pundit for the BBC.
† The end is nigh †

T00ts

It seems quite a large %age from each party that are standing down. I wonder if that's normal or is this really a sign of the exhaustion/confusion/anger in the House.

Nick

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3116 time=1572442184 user_id=54
I think that's so. Anna Soubrey is a law unto herself. I guess she feels that as the leader of her non entity of a party she has to stay the course. Perhaps she will lose her deposit. These MPs have largely brought whatever the outcome of the voting, on themselves. I am hoping the the electorate will show them all just how their arrogance will be rewarded.

I notice, Dominic Grieve, Philip Hammond are not on the list. Perhaps it's not yet complete.

Just had a quick look and they are both MP's for leave constituencies so even though they should get a good kicking, especially if Boris fields leave candidates.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.