Voting choices and tactics

Started by Barry, October 30, 2019, 11:21:56 AM

« previous - next »

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3259 time=1572519204 user_id=54
Ha Ha! I had a look. They advise I vote Labour! Conservative had over 20,000 majority in 2017. That focuses the mind somewhat!

Amazing! They have just advised me to do the same! And tat is in a constituency with a majority of 16,000.

I wonder. Is Pappy's site entirely impartial?
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3259 time=1572519204 user_id=54
Ha Ha! I had a look. They advise I vote Labour! Conservative had over 20,000 majority in 2017. That focuses the mind somewhat!

Tactical voting has made massive inroads into Tory majorities, Iain Duncan Smith had his majority slashed so it is now a marginal.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

T00ts

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3257 time=1572518663 user_id=89
This website is now up and running. (I already new the situation with the constituency I live in)

https://tactical.vote/">https://tactical.vote/

papasmurf

This website is now up and running. (I already new the situation with the constituency I live in)

https://tactical.vote/">https://tactical.vote/

Barry

It seems that the Brexit party have their own ideas of tactics as they field candidates where the MPs are remainers and the voters voted leave.

I think that will mostly affect Labour, but also some Tories.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=3244 time=1572514746 user_id=62
Which probably came as a surprise to Wurzel. Muslims equate green with Paradise and thus the colour is popular with Islamic suicide bombers. Jeremy probably wore a green tie to show his solidarity with ISIS

Those are VERY stupid comments, The Tory MPs showing their pig ignorance when the Grenfell disaster was going to be debated later in the day shows just how bloody nasty they are.

Borchester

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3164 time=1572460769 user_id=89
It already is but backfires on Tory MPs today taking the piss out of Corbyn's green tie until they were rebuked by Theresa May who pointed out it is a Grenfell Tower memorial tie.

Which probably came as a surprise to Wurzel. Muslims equate green with Paradise and thus the colour is popular with Islamic suicide bombers. Jeremy probably wore a green tie to show his solidarity with ISIS
Algerie Francais !

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry post_id=3167 time=1572461030 user_id=51
You're on fire today, Pappa.

Well the ball and chain is away on a Ladies who shop trip to Plymouth plus seing a live band, plus I have just got shot of a problematic motorcycle I gave away free to someone who has access to comprehensive workshop facilities to modify it so his son can use it off road and also learn some engineering skills.

Borchester

Quote from: Barry post_id=3167 time=1572461030 user_id=51

:hattip
Algerie Francais !

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf post_id=3164 time=1572460769 user_id=89
It already is but backfires on Tory MPs today taking the piss out of Corbyn's green tie until they were rebuked by Theresa May who pointed out it is a Grenfell Tower memorial tie.

† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

Quote from: Borchester post_id=3132 time=1572455073 user_id=62

I also hope that the campaign will dirty, underhand, sly and vindictive but above all incredibly interesting.

:D

Borchester

Quote from: T00ts post_id=3095 time=1572438112 user_id=54
In some ways I dread this election even though I have been calling for it for ever it seems. Tactical voting will be a huge factor in my opinion with even Parties guiding their voters, not least of all the Momentum faction of Labour. I have concerns that again Labour having practised their digital/social media skills last time will use it to even greater affect this time.

My area has been Conservative for ever but I don't think any constituency can be totally regarded as belonging to any one party this time. There is such desperation in each party and with many candidates, not only the fear loss of seats but with such diverse doctrine there is a clear choice for everyone and desperation in the electorate could become palpable.

I think it will be dirty, underhand, sly and vindictive but above all incredibly interesting. My vote too is homeless I just hope I can make a decision well before the 12th. Let's hope Friday 13th is lucky for the country.

I doubt that tactical voting will play much more of a part than usual.

Most Brexiters will vote Tory. A lot will hold their noses while doing so, but will accept the conservatives as the best of a poor deal.

As far as I can see, Labour's digital, social and media skills are on a par with a conversation with Pappy before his meds kick in. I can't see many folk being taken in by them,

My area has been Labour since Keir Hardie was in short trousers and it will rain beer before the Tories get in.But it does not matter because the election will be about winning the 50 or 60 marginals, which should mean the winner gets a majority of up to 120 seats.

I also hope that the campaign will dirty, underhand, sly and vindictive but above all incredibly interesting.

:D
Algerie Francais !

T00ts

In some ways I dread this election even though I have been calling for it for ever it seems. Tactical voting will be a huge factor in my opinion with even Parties guiding their voters, not least of all the Momentum faction of Labour. I have concerns that again Labour having practised their digital/social media skills last time will use it to even greater affect this time.

My area has been Conservative for ever but I don't think any constituency can be totally regarded as belonging to any one party this time. There is such desperation in each party and with many candidates, not only the fear loss of seats but with such diverse doctrine there is a clear choice for everyone and desperation in the electorate could become palpable.

I think it will be dirty, underhand, sly and vindictive but above all incredibly interesting. My vote too is homeless I just hope I can make a decision well before the 12th. Let's hope Friday 13th is lucky for the country.

papasmurf

The big unknown is tactical voting.

It came very close to getting rid of Iain Duncan Smith at the last general election.

When this website is updated after it is known what parties are standing in each constituency it could make a difference:-

https://tacticalvote.co.uk/">https://tacticalvote.co.uk/

Barry

John Curtice the elections guru suggests that the two party system will take a hit at the 12th December election.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1197306/General-Election-news-poll-polls-2019-vote-odds-Brexit-results-December-John-Curtice-UK">//https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1197306/General-Election-news-poll-polls-2019-vote-odds-Brexit-results-December-John-Curtice-UK

If there is no overall majority for the Tories, it will make it easier for the other parties who are not easy friends with the Tories to make a coalition of the minorities to form a government.

This is why splitting the vote makes a difference. With FPTP tactics count a great deal.

I see hard Remain voters have one real choice, that is Jo Swinson and her Lib Dems who vow to keep the UK in the EU regardless of public opinion. If they win the election, they will have a mandate, fine.

Soft remain voters who might accept a soft Brexit deal, might vote for Labour, although their policy now seems to be more towards remain than leave with  a deal.

Soft Leavers have the choice of the Tories who would prefer to leave with the deal which Boris has renegotiated, although there are elements in the Tory party who prefer a clean break.

Hard Leavers will have the choice of Farage's Brexit Party (running at 10-11%) or the UKIP, which is almost defunct at <1% in the polls.

I'm not declaring how I am going to vote, yet. I'm Mr Undecided.

Any thoughts?
† The end is nigh †