I have the technology, but will I be able to use it?

Started by papasmurf, August 21, 2020, 10:11:27 AM

« previous - next »

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 23, 2020, 10:22:44 AM

A motorcycle needs a clock like a fish needs a bicycle.

I agree it is not essential.
Yesterday during a break in the bad weather I ventured out for my first  ride on it. After a couple of character building moments. (I really do wonder if the tourists who rock up locally ever took a driving test. It is bad enough putting up with the locals.)
I am constricted to 3/4 throttle for the first 300 miles, which is around 45mph which is plenty given the local conditions for the next few weeks.

It is strange having no clutch lever. The clutch is centrifugal, but also operates from the foot gear change when changing gear.
The foot gear change is of the toe and heel rocking type. Toe down for changing up and heel down for changing down.
The system works well for me, but I have small size 7 feet.  Apparently big footed people have problems.

I got the hang of the system after going the through the up and down "twisties" before the long straight across Goonhilly Downs.

At least now I can get out of the house again.
Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Barry

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2020, 12:04:07 PM
There is progress, this morning I have managed to set the clock on the motorcycle. (From the complexity of the display it looks as if launch co-ordinates could be entered.)
A motorcycle needs a clock like a fish needs a bicycle.
† The end is nigh †

papasmurf

There is progress, this morning I have managed to set the clock on the motorcycle. (From the complexity of the display it looks as if launch co-ordinates could be entered.)

papasmurf

So getting to the sod-it stage in general I unscrewed my wallet and purchased a new small  "motorcycle"

Apparently the production facility in the Land of the Rising Sun has been somewhat hampered due to the Pandemic, meaning supply for export to Britain and the USA is currently limited to one motorcycle per dealer.
Luckily for me the mechanic I use has a franchise to sell new motorcycles for the manufacturer, but does not normally use it, as he has plenty of work servicing, MOTing and repairing anything with two wheels and an engine. (Usually something very exotic and worth £30000 plus in the workshop.)

He managed to get me the motorcycle within 10 days, I had to specify a few modification and extras to suit my age, decrepitude and being a shortarse.
He delivered it yesterday, the absolutely latest model.

However is has lot of electronic wizardry fitted, as well as interesting engineering, the owners manual is 153 pages long.

The mechanic gave me comprehensive instructions, (which was handy because some of them are not in the manual due to the newness of the model.)

I won't be able to ride it until Sunday due to the harsh weather conditions locally which is causing a max exodus of campers.
(It will also give me time to read the manual in depth.)

I will have to unlearn a lot, due to no clutch lever, (there is a clutch, but not as we know it Jim.) as it still has a manual, or rather foot gear change.