Covid NOT in top ten death causes in wales

Started by johnofgwent, August 22, 2020, 07:56:54 AM

« previous - next »

Barry

Quote from: cromwell on August 22, 2020, 07:30:39 PMWell there was a time when you thought the same.
834 patients in the whole of the UK out of the 133,431 admitted are left, only 72 in the whole country on ventilators.
It's over. Everybody get on with life and give your families a good hug. They deserve it.
† The end is nigh †

Thomas

QuoteThe Bubonic Plague Killed Feudalism. COVID-19 Will Entrench It.
Throughout history, pandemics have been a great equalizer. Here's why this time is different.

In a year already defined by an unprecedented pandemic, this week California confirmed a case of the bubonic plague—the horrific infectious disease that devastated Europe for centuries.

To be sure, this is not the start of a new calamity. Every year, there are a few hundred cases across the world—most recently in Inner Mongolia. And unlike in the past (and unlike the COVID-19 pandemic today), bubonic plague is a well-understood disease that can be effectively treated with antibiotics when it is contracted.

Still, the worry surrounding the news offers a useful opportunity to reflect on some of the lesser understood effects of disease outbreaks—now and in history.

One of those effects is that disasters like pandemics have typically led to a reduction of inequality. Rising inequality is widely regarded as the defining economic challenge of our time. Yet while today's level of income inequality is alarming, it is hardly exceptional by historical standards. In the United States, for example, income inequality is just as high now as it was in the years leading up to the 1929 stock market crash. Going further back in history—from pharaonic Egypt to tsarist Russia, Victorian England, the Ottoman Empire, and China under the Qing dynasty—the pattern has been the same: Wealth tends to concentrate in the hands of a privileged elite.

Although inequality has been a persistent feature of civilization, it has not been constant. Long stretches of high inequality have typically been followed by bursts of violent compression, owing to cataclysmic events like wars, revolutions, natural disasters, and, yes, pandemics. At least in theory, viruses, bacteria, and germs are perfect equalizers. Whereas in a war, there are political and military hierarchies that determine the likelihood of being deployed to the battlefield and so the probability of dying in combat, killer pathogens have been blind to wealth, class, age, gender, and race.

The standard historical case in point is the bubonic plague, given the disease's horrifying symptoms and its continuous recurrence over the last 1,500 years. Epidemics usually emanated from Africa or Asia and then spread to Europe and America with the help of globe-trotting merchants. Recurring epidemic waves lasted for decades or even centuries. But the most devastating one was, with no doubt, the Black Death. That pandemic wiped out an estimated one-third of the European population between 1347 and 1351, causing the richest 10 percent of the population to lose their grip on between 15 percent and 20 percent of overall wealth. As others have pointed out, further pandemics, revolutions, and wars have been the main cause whenever inequality has fallen since.

Yet COVID-19 looks like the great exception to the well-established historical pattern. If anything, the current pandemic is exacerbating inequality. In their attempt to flatten epidemiological curves, governments across the world have upended the livelihoods of the least advantaged. In March, the U.S. economy lost more jobs than over the entire Great Recession, with workers with less than college education taking the largest hit. To add insult to injury, in June American billionaires were 20 percent richer than at the start of the shutdown in the United States in mid-March. So why is this time different?

https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/08/20/bubonic-plague-pandemic-covid-19-inequality-feudalism/

good article , on the economic side of covid compared to history , and this bit...

QuoteThe economic mechanism behind COVID-19 is quite different. Its case fatality ratio, which seems to be around 2 percent, is relatively low. Moreover, with older people being the most vulnerable to its most lethal effects, the size of the workforce is roughly unaffected

on the extremely low rate of death worldwide ( for a so called pandemic ) backs up what john is saying in his original post and what many others are saying.
An Fhirinn an aghaidh an t-Saoghail!

cromwell

Quote from: Barry on August 22, 2020, 08:47:25 AM
Quote from: johnofgwent on August 22, 2020, 07:56:54 AMthe statistics were forced to show the truth, which is it never was anything like as bad as the project rear refugees now reallocated to COVID19 fear stoking made it out to be ...
Who would have thought it?
Well, you, me, sheepy, Borchester and a few others,
but Smurfy, Cromwell and Daffy Duck won't agree.

Well there was a time when you thought the same.
Energy....secure and affordable,not that hard is it?

Sheepy

Quote from: johnofgwent on August 22, 2020, 02:55:52 PM
Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2020, 10:52:42 AM
The problems is the large number of people with "Long" Covid-19 life changing damage after contracting it and "recovering" from it.
This is only just becoming apparent.

And that is why NEXT June's ONS death figures covering the period up to and including the spring cold snaps will be most illuminating.

As I have said on here before, I am nowhere near as capable of strenuous activity (which I define as carrying a 25kg bag of 10mm aggregate 100 yards from my front drive to my back fence)  this weekend than i was a year ago and that is nothing to do with the fact a year ago it was a struggle compared to 20 years ago. I would kill for 15 minutes in loughborough uni's sports physiology research lab assuming it is still there from my last visit back in the early 80's...
Well as we know they have already manipulated the figures which when caught they have apologised and reworked them, I don't see it going well unless of course there is more cheating afoot.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Sheepy

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2020, 02:11:08 PM
Quote from: Streetwalker on August 22, 2020, 10:48:58 AM
I am not going to belittle the virus because I know what a bastard it can be but would add that more people died of stab wounds in London last week than of the coronavirus
didnt i read some young black guy was macheted to death in oxford street in broad daylight by other black youths while dawn butler was doing her publicity stunt about institutional racism in the met police?
Well one or two of my contacts in the London black gangs told me, nobody got it who didn't deserves it, which I replied, bollox, it might well have started over respect and turf, but it has long gone past that. Now it is a free for all stab fest.
Just because I don't say anything, it doesn't mean I haven't noticed!

Streetwalker

Quote from: Thomas on August 22, 2020, 02:11:08 PM
I am not going to belittle the virus because I know what a bastard it can be but would add that more people died of stab wounds in London last week than of the coronavirus
didnt i read some young black guy was macheted to death in oxford street in broad daylight by other black youths while dawn butler was doing her publicity stunt about institutional racism in the met police?

You might well have Thomas there was a teenager murdered in Oxford Street  a couple of weeks back . We are becoming a bit immune to such news though it being an almost daily occurrence that finds a half column somewhere on page 6 of the Evening Standard .   

johnofgwent

Quote from: papasmurf on August 22, 2020, 10:52:42 AM
The problems is the large number of people with "Long" Covid-19 life changing damage after contracting it and "recovering" from it.

And that is why NEXT June's ONS death figures covering the period up to and including the spring cold snaps will be most illuminating.

As I have said on here before, I am nowhere near as capable of strenuous activity (which I define as carrying a 25kg bag of 10mm aggregate 100 yards from my front drive to my back fence)  this weekend than i was a year ago and that is nothing to do with the fact a year ago it was a struggle compared to 20 years ago. I would kill for 15 minutes in loughborough uni's sports physiology research lab assuming it is still there from my last visit back in the early 80's...
<t>In matters of taxation, Lord Clyde\'s summing up in the 1929 case Inland Revenue v Ayrshire Pullman Services is worth a glance.</t>

Thomas

Quote from: patman post on August 22, 2020, 01:26:21 PM
Worries seem to be mounting that Covid could be like rheumatic fever and cause further organ problems later in life, such as heart problems. Something even young Covid sufferers who showed few or no symptoms and appear to have recovered. Other people are finding discomfort and tiredness continuing for weeks and months...

One of many reports:
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/long-term-effects-coronavirus

in the first few paragraphs of that report , i keep seeing words like "possible" "potential" "sometimes" " depending".

Seems to be one big article of ifs and buts focusing on scaremongering but with little real fact or data.

Thomas

patman post

Worries seem to be mounting that Covid could be like rheumatic fever and cause further organ problems later in life, such as heart problems. Something even young Covid sufferers who showed few or no symptoms and appear to have recovered. Other people are finding discomfort and tiredness continuing for weeks and months...

One of many reports:
https://www.healthcentral.com/article/long-term-effects-coronavirus
On climate change — we're talking, we're beginning to act, but we're still not doing enough...

papasmurf

Nemini parco qui vivit in orbe

Streetwalker

papasmurf

Quote from: Nalaar on August 22, 2020, 09:52:00 AM
Just for the month of July? I'd like to think so.

The ONS always caveats death statistics.

Nalaar

Just for the month of July? I'd like to think so.
Don't believe everything you think.

papasmurf

Quote from: Barry on August 22, 2020, 08:47:25 AM

but Smurfy, Cromwell and Daffy Duck won't agree.

Such death data  adjustments over time are normal.  Usually takes three years to gather and collate the data. (If a coroner is involved it can take up to seven years.)